• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gathermeister was down and is now back! (updated title)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Count this Gathermeister down, but not out.

What you guys did yesterday for me and Nancy was over the top. I always gave these events 100% of what I had, and you guys topped it. I'm still overwhelmed as I sit here saying good morning to all of you.

We are about to hit the road in the next few minutes for a 24 hour drive back to KY. It's going to be interesting to say the least. A number of you have requested I keep them informed on my progress. I'll do my best to comply with that w/o creating a "woe is me" thread.

You guys have done a lot to boost my spirits. I'm so glad I got a chance to meet and welcome so many of you especially early Sunday morning before the rest of the gang arrived. I'm feeling pretty good this morning and look forward to seeing you and skiing with you again next year.

Go have a great day today, people, and thanks again.

UL
'Til next time my friend :hug:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
OK, here is the latest.

I was in to see an Ortho/Spine doctor this morning. SC and I have both seen him before as patients. He is a skier and a rather well known doc in the ski world. Based on the info he requested from Utah he was already in touch with another very well respected doctor in the same group he works with here and earlier this morning I got an appointment with him (a surgeon) for this Friday.

I got a look at the results of the MRI /CT scans with him. There are 3 broken vertebrae in my neck. C1 has a small chip (think the size of a pencil eraser) to the far left side and well out of the way of being a problem. C3 has a small chip (same size) upper side / center of the vertebrae and out of the way of causing any problems. Odds are good that both will never cause a problem.

C2 is a bit of a different story. There is a small crack in the part of the vertebra that surrounds the spinal cord. The good news is that this should heal without complications.
The concern is the next few weeks. Any major fall or impact could possibly do further damage to the vertebrae and probably cause damage to the spinal chord. There are two possibilities, should that happen, that I'm sure you all can figure out. So for the moment I'm in a brace till the surgeon says otherwise (probably 5-6 more weeks) unless we operate.

The impression that both the doctor and I came away with today is that is it unlikely the surgeon will suggest surgery. There was some tissue damage and swelling (expected) but pretty minimal given my age and the nature of the fall.

The doc said someone had to be watching out for me on this. My first thought was "Yeah, my wife, a few remaining members of my family, and a hundred or so of my closest friends."

More Friday.

TS
SugarCube

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
C2 is a bit of a different story. There is a small crack in the part of the vertebra that surrounds the spinal cord. The good news is that this should heal without complications.
The concern is the next few weeks. Any major fall or impact could possibly do further damage to the vertebrae and probably cause damage to the spinal chord. There are two possibilities, should that happen, that I'm sure you all can figure out. So for the moment I'm in a brace till the surgeon says otherwise (probably 5-6 more weeks) unless we operate.

Okay, repeat after me: "I WILL NOT TAKE MY BRACE OFF AND I WILL NOT DRIVE UNTIL THE DOC SAYS IT'S OKAY. NO MATTER WHAT."

Uncle Louie

Skier
Okay, repeat after me: "I WILL NOT TAKE MY BRACE OFF AND I WILL NOT DRIVE UNTIL THE DOC SAYS IT'S OKAY. NO MATTER WHAT."

You forgot taking the brace off to shower and shave. I promise. btw the chemical mask in the paint kit in the garage should fit you. There are even a few extra filters in there for when you need them.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier

Yes, no matter how good you feel or how stir crazy you've become, just chill out. You only get to dodge so many bullets!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Also: I WILL NOT FOLLOW DAVID WHEN HE’S LEADING US DOWN FRESH POWDER THAT INTERSECTS WITH A CAT TRACK (NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE SNOW IS)!!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
:micdrop: Best to obay ! Don't do as I did. :roflmao:
I bought a car-with out driving it as there was a cast on my right foot. Trish bought same model same day and said it was good !
Salesman drove it to my house -stayed parked for 2 months.

Later with a boot I drove 5 mi to PT on back roads using left foot ! :eek: Very illegal.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was with U.L. when he went down. It was something that could happen to any of us in flat light. We were just above a cat track and Louie didn't realize the drop on the cat track was about 3 1/2 feet. BAM.

Glad to hear you are doing well Uncle Louie. Flat light on a cat track did me in at Jackson Hole once. Cracked two ribs!

Heal fast so you may ski again soon!

Rick G

Uncle Louie

Skier
Here is the latest. I got to see the surgeon today and things look pretty good. No real concerns with the breaks at C1 and C3 but we area going to watch C2.

There are two stress fractures in different areas of the vertebrae and in different directions. None really close to the spinal cord. They are very hard to depict on all the images (CT / MRI / X-ray) indicating they are not currently separated. Next visit is on 3/23 and as long as there are no changes for the worst I should be good to go. If that's the case, full recovery should be about 10 weeks from now.:crossfingers:

Pain levels now are about 2 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being unbearable)

I'll take it.

Thanks again to all of you who helped. It means a lot to me.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So good to hear! Especially the pain levels. I suspect those will go back up if you start doing something you shouldn't and SugarCube has to get after you. Although that might not be physical pain. ogwink:P

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Glad to hear that the news is trending positive! Take care of yourself, and please lay low.

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
First of all, I was sad that you weren't here to ski with us.

Second, from one woman to another, take care of yourself while you're taking care of him.

Just heard the news about @Uncle Louie. Ouch! <understatement of the year> Sorry to hear, but I've been reading your posts and I love your spirit and positive attitude.

@SugarCube, I echo what Tricia said. While you're helping UL, make sure to take care of the caregiver. We mean well, but it's easy to put ourselves last at times like this.

Keeping both of you in my thoughts and wishing a speedy recovery. Look forward to seeing y'all at Big Sky!

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Uncle Louie
Gidday mate from New Zealand
Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm sure that with the awesome positive attitude that you exuded when I met you at Jackson Hole ,you will have a complete recovery and be back to full health in no time.
Kia Kaha (Stay strong)
AKA John

Sponsor