• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Garmin Ransomware attack?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The price of the service is built in to the cost of the device, so you're paying one way or another. At least Garmin devices actually work without the online service.

I think this is the wrong way to look at it, though. If the cost to Garmin of losing whatever data was encrypted would have been more than $10 million, that's an argument for why Garmin should have had a proper backup strategy in the first place, not for paying a ransom which ultimately hurts the entire industry.

That's also an argument for putting hefty fines in place for anyone who does pay such a ransom. The cost of a ransom like this is more than just the $10 million, and it's not only Garmin that's paying it. Garmin should not be able to make that choice for the industry unless they're willing to pay what it ultimately costs for everyone affected, and that's very difficult to quantify.

It's the same problem you have with any negative externality.
Ya are they also going to have to give everyone experion or some other credit reporting membership? Betting that the financial/payment records were also compromised. Having a backup copy quarantined doesn't resolve the other data breach implications beyond simply getting everyone's vert history restored.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
OhMyGod! Now the Russians know how slow.... I run.
They better not get access to my Trace ski data to find out how fast I've been skiing!
Max vertical/day, 56k
Max speed 57 mph
(both on the same day, for my brother's 50th B'day, at Snowmass, laps on Big Burn)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steve Gibson did nice reporting on this yesterday, as he always does on Security Now:

Sound like Garmin paid up.

The name of the Russia-based cybercriminal organization reportedly responsible?

Wait for it... Evil Corp.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My ride from today instantly uploaded to Strava while I am still waiting for my 3 rides during the download to move over. I could do it manually but decided to wait to see how long, if ever, it took.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just curious how many people would be OK with all their Garmin data gone with no compensation from Garmin for losing it? Or, another way, what are folks paying Garmin via the app to store and manage that data? Wouldn't you want a refund on the months where that data was no longer available? If that adds up to more than 10 million dollars Garmin pays the ransom. Because, seeing this happen to at least two companies I have close ties with IT folks at, recovering their data without paying the ransom wasn't possible. So it's either start over with all data GONE or pay the ransom.

I have data on Connect going back over a decade. It would definitely annoy me to lose it, but I'm not sure I'd expect financial compensation. However, I did recently realize Garmin only keeps weight data back one year, which definitely annoys me.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
However, I did recently realize Garmin only keeps weight data back one year, which definitely annoys me.
Good news, it's just a typical crappy Garmin UI issue. Ya just gotta hit the back arrow to go back past one year:

Garmin Connect 2020-08-02 18-08-49.png

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Good news, it's just a typical crappy Garmin UI issue. Ya just gotta hit the back arrow to go back past one year:

View attachment 107323

I have tried that, but it shows like one data point for each of the two previous year-chunks. I am sure I recorded more often than that. (Maybe I'm wrong? But I distinctly remember a particular chart I now can't recreate.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

View attachment 107323

You know what? After some pondering, I am sure they lost the data. I have decided this because there is one weight situation that I tracked closely. After Eric died, I dropped 20 pounds in a matter of weeks (7 pounds in the first 9 days). Then when I started a new relationship and having fun again, my weight jumped up - not quite as quickly. I remember looking at that chart repeatedly. It just seemed like part of the story. In fact, I made the comment about missing weight data because I wanted to go back and look at that chart, which spanned 2018. But the Garmin chart has only one point recorded for the entirety of 2018.

This is not something new from the attack - it was missing beforehand.

Sponsor

Staff online