• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wish List Pugski Petersen Slider.jpg
When traveling to and from trade shows and demos, or just driving around, crazy ideas start bouncing around in our heads, like, What if Brand X made a Y ski, would it solve the ski world's problems? Would it sell? If so, in the tens, hundreds, or even thousands? Would anyone even care? In my feeble mind, Hell Yes to all the above. So, pour yourself a drink, sit back, unbuckle your boots and read what gear we think will cure the ills of the industry and become Product(s) of the Year in the near future.

Blizzard
Black Diamond

Blizzard Black Diamond - Pugski Wish List.jpg
Believe it or not, even though the Black Pearl is the No. 1-selling ski in the industry, men's or women's, there are women who don’t like it. Blasphemy, I know, but that is what this article is about. Some female skiers, while they like the Pearl, just want more -- but not necessarily the guy’s version, the Brahma, graphically speaking. Cue the Black Diamond: the stronger, more athletic version of the Black Pearl (just add metal). You have the extremely successful Black Pearl as a collection: here is your halo, a bridge to the next generation.

Elan
“86 Collection”

Elan 86 Collection - Pugski Wish List.jpg
The legend Ingemar Stenmark is in the house; as much as he doesn’t like the spotlight, bring him front and center and start talking about his involvement. Come out with a signature ski, the “86” for his number of World Cup wins. Hmmm, maybe 86 isn't the best model name. Perhaps Uniline … but you get the idea.

Head
Head MaxShape

Head Supershapes with Race Plates - Pugski Wish List.jpg
Everyone wants more power, but not everyone wants to deal with the attention that it requires, like from a race ski. The Head Supershapes are a proven collection that are very popular among technical skiers. Take the two-part riser plate that Head offers on its race skis, mount up a pair of EVO bindings, put 'em on an iSpeed or iMagnum, and you will have to beg ski patrol not to pull your ski pass.

Power Joy

Head Pure Joy with Race Plates - Pugski Wish List.jpg
There is no question that the Joy series has been one of the most groundbreaking women's ski collections since the turn of the century, but the strongest women skiers are still on Supershapes and Kores. A beefier yet still lo-cal Power Joy could keep that influencer on a woman’s ski. While we are asking for the moon, a women’s Kore with a hot pink sidewall ... better yet, throw caution to the wind and make the whole topsheet -- err, core -- hot pink.

Look
Pivot 15

Look 15 - Pugski Wish List.jpg
Nuff said. I guess this is how it all got started with the whole “Hey Look, bring back the Pivot 15” campaign. Oh, and add an 85mm brake option: there is a big hole between 75 and 95 mm. There are a lot of mid-80-mm skis for which the 75mm brake isn’t enough, and the 95 just has too much overhang. Since we are on the subject of brakes, and since the Pivot sits so low on the ski (which is good), the brake is susceptible to catch on the snow (which is bad). One of the attributes of the Pivot heel is its elasticity, but when the boot is flexed hard forward, the brake can catch on the snow; this is even more prevalent when a skier lands switch (their weight is usually over the tips). If the brake is angled up a bit, this would help alleviate the problem.

K2
710/810 Comp Throwback Graphic

K2 710, 810 - Pugski Wish List b.jpg

It is no secret that we are smitten with the K2 Charger collection, and two things could make it even better: (1) the throwback graphic from the original K2 Comp collection that the Mahre brothers made famous, and (2) since graphics don’t make the ski, let's add Marker’s Piston Plate to boost the performance with some red/while X-Cell 12's. Adding a race plate to a high-end consumer ski is not an uncommon practice; other brands are doing it (Dynastar Speed Zone 14, Fischer Curv Booster, Völkl Deacon Pro). K2, let's raise the bar and make some skis we want to stand up tall and salute.

Kästle
MX68 and MX98

Kastle MX 68 98 - Pugski Wish List.jpg
I actually started this article over a year ago; it sat in my “working” folder and I forgot about it. The two skis that I wished for were these two Kästles, and guess what is actually making it to production: an MX67 and an MX99. Hmmm, what else can I ask for from Kästle? Not much. As a premium brand, its line has very few holes in it. But it makes me wonder, has Dav been searching my computer?

Marker

Marker 100mm Brakes - Pugski Wish List.jpg
How about a 100mm brake for the Royal bindings? With so many 98-102mm skis on the market, 90 mm is too narrow and 110 mm just hangs over. This would have been a better investment of time and money than the 120mm brake.

Nordica
Navigator Jr.

Nordica Navigator Junior - Pugski Wish List.jpg
There is a big hole in most manufacturers' junior ski collections: the mid-80mm range. This is the all-mountain ski that most kids need, not a 70mm foam core ski or a 95mm powder, ski but something they can ski every day and (most importantly) that they can bend. This could be a Blizzard Bonafide Jr., too.

Olin
Mark Series

Olin - Pugski Wish List.jpg
K2, you own the name, the title is sitting on a shelf somewhere, maybe in one of those brown file boxes in the back of a storage unit somewhere in the west end of Seattle. How about a “Premium” American collection of skis, produced in the good ol' US of A? Could this be the product that makes American built skis great again? Start with the Mark IV & IV Comp, V, and VI -- and expand from there. Oh, and have your buddies at Marker make a red/white line of bindings for them.

Renoun
Narrow Z-Line

Renoun Narrow Z - Pugski Wish List.jpg
@Cyrus Schenck did a good job getting us a Z-77 quickly to test the market, but just taking 13 mm off the length of a Z-90 didn’t quite do it. Well, live and learn. We know we love the Z-90 construction and the HDT infusion, now let's shape it right. What would we expect from a narrower Z? Maybe stay with the 77 waist, but don’t just drop the tip the same 13 mm; instead, drop it 7 mm instead, and drop the tail 10 mm to give it a bit more taper. This would be a narrow Renoun Z scalpel we could sink our teeth into.

Salomon
SX Series Boots

Salomon - Pugski Wish List.jpg
Bring back the SX92. Skier demographics are changing, and while there is no question that an overlap boot maximizes performance, there are skiers who need more -- or in this case, are happy with less. How often do you see Joe or Jane Skier struggling to get their boots on or off? These skiers need a boot they can use without the need for the buddy system. The original Salomon SX was a great design in its own right with the array of bells and whistles in fit adjustments such as the ability to adjust stiffness at will. It is time for another SX. With today's lighter plastics and 20 years of technology advancements, I think it is time to bring back the rear-entry boot, and what better boot to lead the way than the SX.

Scott
The Ski

The Ski  - Pugski Wish List.jpg
We’re so close on this. IMHO, the best colors and the year that made the biggest splash was the initial return of The Ski a few years back. Fast forward to today, it is time to go back to basics and raid the Fisher-Price color bin. One of the unique things about the original The Ski was the ability to mix colors. Offer it as individual skis and let customers mix and match; they could order one yellow and one blue ski or one green and one blue, whatever the heart desires. Even right now you have the black skis and the white skis, but no overlap, let the customer order one of each. The current The Ski model has the subtle three blocks on the tail, but also on the tip, The Ski needs the seven blocks on the tip. And no monochromatic design: The Ski has always been about standing out and being bold.

Völkl
Renntiger, Explosiv, etc

Volkl - Pugski Wish List.jpg
You have so many iconic names sitting on the shelves, let's do something with them. Völkl's hard-snow skis are as good as anything on the market, but not enough people are even aware they exist -- especially the demographics they are directed toward, 40+ year olds with disposable income.

M4/M3

Volkl M3 M4 - Pugski Wish List.jpg
I imagine this is in the works already with the evolution of the M5 Mantra; I think Völkl will use M as a series nomenclature. I think we will see the M4 replace the Kendo and an M3 replace the Kanjo.

Note to manufacturers: if you want to pursue any of these ideas, you have our 100% support. @Dave Petersen, our in-house graphic artist, is available to help with these and further concepts. Just remember where you got the ideas.;)

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled

Nuff said. I guess this is how it all got started with the whole “Hey Look, bring back the Pivot 15” campaign. Oh, and add an 85mm brake option: there is a big hole between 75 and 95 mm. There are a lot of mid-80-mm skis for which the 75mm brake isn’t enough, and the 95 just has too much overhang. Since we are on the subject of brakes, and since the Pivot sits so low on the ski (which is good), the brake is susceptible to catch on the snow (which is bad). One of the attributes of the Pivot heel is its elasticity, but when the boot is flexed hard forward, the brake can catch on the snow; this is even more prevalent when a skier lands switch (their weight is usually over the tips). If the brake is angled up a bit, this would help alleviate the problem.

Nuff said.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 53348 As long as we are dreaming.
Rossignol you HAD the best graphics
In the ST Comp
Yes please!!!!
We were real temped to do a 4S..but that has been done. I am a big fan of the orange/white/black late 1970's era, these and the Freestyle are my favorites.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bring it to 'Murica! But with the grid pattern on the Whites.

Red-Star-RC.png

Red-Star-SC.png

Black-Star-MC.png

Black-Star-XC.png

White-Star-SL.png

White-Star-XR.png

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
I would like to see slalom poles with built-in pole guards, especially in junior sizes.

Every parent of growing racers has wondered why in the world are the pole guards sold separately? I guess the obvious answer is profit. With three kids in the game, this is a giant hassle (and expense) every Fall. Once those pole guards are on, they never come off.

I know, you can move them to next season's poles, but the reality is you end up giving those poles away or selling them for next to nothing. Those pole guards are forever connected to their original parent poles. Just incorporate them into the poles! Please!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm surprised you guys didn't do a Blizzy Firebird sheet.
For the most part, this wasn't an exercise in just changing a graphic but to add a variation of a model or resurrection of a brand (Olin) to a premium segment.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Always loved the graphics on the Hexcels. They looked so clean and fresh. Does anyone own the name anymore?
acb12d08ea6f140b57696c304145a244.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@Dave Petersen ... Fantastic work as always in the Wish List graphics Dave!!! Really great stuff!!!

There are definitely some items on it that would make their way into my possestion, that's for sure.

#bringbackthe15, a modern Olin IV Comp and VI's, SX20 Equipes boots, those Renntigers... sometimes it feels like they just don't want our money...:rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online