• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fundamental?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Though, I typically reserve the term “fundamentals” for movements unless otherwise indicated such as “fundamental dynamic” mentioned above. My definition of fundamental movements are the movements that must exist for an reasonably competent alpine ski turn to happen. They are (generally): flexion, extension, angulation, inclination, rotary, tipping and skidding. Without anyone of these moves, a competent turn can not be performed. .
Skidding needs to be there for a short radius turn, but I think it needs to be absent for arc-2-arc carved turns. Arc-2-arc turns (with no skidding) have always been my favorite alpine turn, and imo certainly qualify as competent alpine ski turns. While course design may preclude all but the very best skiers from making non-skidded turns in a race course, I have found no such limitations free skiing on the vast majority of runs on resort trail maps.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
If you instead think, "I must be patient so that I don't pressure the skis too much before I have established enough edge angles", chances are that the rest of the turn will have a lot of upwards acceleration and great turning forces.

So, how do I increase pressure on a ski?

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends on when you want the pressure. If you want it right away you have to extend the outside leg and/or flex the inside. If you want it later, increase angles and time up/down acceleration.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Pressure in excess of your weight can only come with increased velocity which the hill provides in the form of straight line PULL. ie down the hill. If on the other hand, you want to create circular travel, it requires the carving process which converts the straight line PULL into circular PUSH. This process takes patience to smoothly and gradually build edge angles and the resultant upwards pressure from the skis. If the circular travel process breaks you revert to the default PULL situation in which you will most likely extend you outside leg as a bracing action because the outside ski is breaking away versus the upwards acceleration that Jamt speaks about.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
I actually agree with you 100%. The skidding aspect of rotary edging as well as the pole plant are two motor patterns that do not necessarily need to exist in a carved turn for one to happen such as does all the other separation fundamentals mentioned and therefore do not fall under the strict definition I give for the term fundamental in regards to carving. However, I prefer to encapsulate them with the others as I believe skidding and pole plants are patterns that are strictly required to ski/access the “whole” mountain.

You sound like my kind of skier. I like to find terrain that I can edgelock the entire slope and crank out as much degree of turn as I can at whatever speed I am cruising. While I’ve had a lot of diversified backcountry fun over the years, high tipping groomers is the most fun I could possibly ever have on a pair of skis. It is the most athletically powerful and dynamic of all the alpine disciplines available to the average skier. To ski athletically powerful and dynamic in the backcountry puts one in a relatively small demographic of skiers who are typically filming much of their skiing and risking their hide for the stunts they choose to make.

Though, disturbingly enough, the speed required for/from edge locked turning and subsequent tree line trajectories from hauling your ass across the fall line can provide some steep penalties of their own. If a ski area had some race fenced slopes for fast carving/technical freeskiing, I’d pay extra to ski them. One skier at a time like in the terrain park and some big rollers and steep drop offs would be nice too.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Depends on when you want the pressure. If you want it right away you have to extend the outside leg and/or flex the inside. If you want it later, increase angles and time up/down acceleration.

If Im balanced on a ski(right or left) and increase edge angle while maintaining balance, do I not increase pressure? While extednding the leg may result in a very brief increase of pressure, it is not a very feasable way to increase pressure over the entire turn. Also flexing the insiade leg doesnt neccesarily move pressure to the outside and increase pressure ont he outside ski. It could simply allow you to fall to the inside resulting in less pressure build up.
I would say that if you want to increase pressure it requires that you increase edge angle on the ski that you are balnced on and maintan that balance on said ski to increase pressure.