• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with many on here that a stage 1(Ecu tune) GTI(300 hp/350 tq) or especially the R(350/350) would be fantastic, fun yet practical cars. I was pondering doing up a GTI but got an insane deal on an almost new 2018 Mini JCW that’s now around 300hp/320tq yet gets near 50mpg. Lots of fun yet holds lots of ski or in my job as a high end detailer, all my gear. Usually detail sports cars and exotics so need something funky to show up with!

Agree also on the Miata Love as I had a supercharged version of those too. About 260hp in the 2300 lb car made for lots of fun!
Not as fun as one of my Customer’s tuned and highly tweaked Ariel Atom, but pretty fun. Lol

9077FAF5-E256-4539-83FF-28C4F1B78400.jpeg

“Detailing Work truck” before tint

EA54D7AC-C05F-40B7-B428-25134C2033E1.jpeg
F29CC462-8478-433C-B742-CFB752778B96.jpeg

1999 Supercharged Miata

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You haven't truly lived (barely) until you've wrapped one of these around a telephone pole. Well, not so much wrapped as blown apart. Engine down the road, hood across the road stuck on, not in, a tree, chassis from firewall back just sitting there. I was ejected through the back window. Let's just say my dad was not very happy with me.:eek: Ours didn't have the sunroof. TVR has churned out some beautiful cars over the years, some of them bordering on nuts.
3-IMG_4564-940x705.jpg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Laugh at how clueless his videos usually are! Anything that’s not built like his obsolete Toyota “isn’t built right”. Lol
He had a “don’t wash your engine” video recently and I do it daily on customers cars as all the cars built in the last 20 years are built with plastic covers over electronics and spark plugs etc. His Toyota is all open so you just have to cover certain areas when you clean.

He had a video recently on cars that won’t make it to 100k miles and Mini on that video thats obviously abused Mini in that video has 105k miles on it. Belts should have been changed as a regular service years before that. Had 3 Minis and all have been great and the latest series are very reliable.
Had my belt done on one of my previous Mini in 5 mins because I had a mechanic used to working on them.

Scotty should try fixing an 90’s Lambo with it’s battery hidden behind rear fenders etc. :roflmao:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Laugh at how clueless his videos usually are!

Scotty should try fixing an 90’s Lambo with it’s battery hidden behind rear fenders etc. :roflmao:
I like his videos and don't care if I dissagree with him, If I pick up one thing from an entire video, it's one new thing I learned. And good on you if you can afford $3000 for an oil change on your pet Porsche, or $8000 for the
IMG_2897.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Scotty has an annoying voice and mannerisms but he does have the odd useful info and besides for the past 19 years I have owned a 93 Toyota MR2, so whats not to like? I have also owned a few other 90s and late 80s Toyota cars and truck and I am here to tell you that during that time period Toyota was way ahead of other car makers. While Toyota is still an industry leader, today a lot of other car makers have caught up so the quality, reliability, innovation, today is closer between brands, compared to the 90s.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
LOVE the 2nd gen MR2 and was pondering getting one for a project car but decided to add a supercharger to a 99 Miata instead at the time. The MR2 is very easy to tune and turbo swaps in those are very common. Almost harder to find stock ones than modified ones!

I’ve been detailing for 31 years now so I spend a lot of time in various dealerships so I see first hand the differences between your local corner shop, traditional dealerships service and speciality high end shops. I do most of the work to my vehicles myself as I’m not a fan of my local BMW/Mini dealership so only use them for “covered under warranty” work.

Scotty reminds me of your long time mechanic at a corner shop used to working on mostly older cars and not as many current ones. A lot of his opinions were true of certain cars years ago but may not be still true in current cars. He would be the first guy to go to for basic work at a reasonable price on an older vehicle for sure but would not have as up to date training using the latest in testing equipment needed for many of today’s cars.

All the licensed mechanics at higher end independent dealerships I work with get certified factory training usually more than annually and many have even been overseas for additional training. They also have online access to additional instruction and tips from other certified mechanics. These are the type of places I get to work on my vehicles on non warranty work as the have the same if not better training and equipment but charge FAR less. Most of my exotic car customers go here as well as service charges are a fraction of dealerships.

The biggest thing is to find a mechanic that specializes and knows all the common issues/fixes of what YOU drive. Once you find “the guy” your life is a lot easier!

Saw this video a while back and it’s hilarious! Spoof on Scotty and pokes fun at some of the “old wives tales” he has of things like turbos etc.
Great impression of him.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Dealers want $21K for a Bugatti oil change. Shop time is booked at 27-30 man hours for AN OIL CHANGE on that car! Lol

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Dealers want $21K for a Bugatti oil change. Shop time is booked at 27-30 man hours for AN OIL CHANGE on that car! Lol

Those guys probably got a call from France before they were halfway done.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Mercedes wants $300+ for an oil change on a Sprinter van so to mitigate the expense they tell you that you can go 20k miles between oil changes...just one of the reasons that I would not want to own a MB Sprinter van.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most companies are now lengthening their oil change mileage especially those covered under “free service” under warranty deals like I have with my Mini. They won’t service unless the car says “service due” on the dash which is 15-20k miles so I usually do 1 or 2 oil changes myself for the $50 in parts in between and don’t reset the oil change indicator.

Most Porsche aren’t too difficult for oil changes and are in the same range as a Mercedes or Audi etc.
Smart Lambo customers go to Audi dealerships as they are similar layout to the Audi R8 but rates much cheaper at Audi dealerships.

Saw the ad to that Mini Clubman JCW the other day. I’ve got similar power in mine with much less weight(and much better looks/profiles think). The REALLY HOT Mini will be the new 2020 GP which is the JCW with even more Aero parts etc, auto only transmission and rumored 335hp. Videos online of it on The Ring disguised and it looks quick!

Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nice..I can see the angle-plug heads..I'd prefer the small-block anyway..unless you had an original 427.. Remote oil filter as well?

Sponsor