• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This looks about right for the winters. Think I want the 60/40 seats though.

69095766_10220899428863850_8081738140093513728_n.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On what type of fuel, I wonder.
Not sure, but nothing too special per this description of the upgrades:

It's pretty amazing how fast the new Supra is at both the track and the drag strip with simple mods so soon after it's been released.

It's been fun to watch those guys mod the car. Start from the beginning if you want the full entertainment value of "Real housewives of MK5 Supra mods" (from a comment to one of their videos):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj5mCYcEwa6tAg1rEusT2w/videos

There have been so many great videos and channels to follow about the new Supra. I think the C8 is going to break youtube when it's released. ogsmile

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the meantime, I'm looking for a G37 6MT Sedan to replace my G35 Sedan if it ever dies.

Great cars for fun, worry-free driving.

If they had ever made a hatchback or sportwagon version, I would have been seriously shopping!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tunes from any Ecu tuner especially in North America will have both 91 or 93 octane options usually as California is a very large market(as is Canada) which are both stuck with mostly 91 octane options at the pumps. You have/tuner has the option of downloading either octane tune depending on customers options and the higher octane version is able to advance the timing/increasing boost slightly without detonation issues with the higher octane version giving a bit more power in the 93 vs the 91 octane version.
I would guess the tune on this Supra is just a 93 octane tune as the numbers aren’t insane given the mods and no mention of “E85 conversion” kit added.

In Canada we have Petro Canada with 94 octane options that can be used or in the States, it’s very common to mix some E85 with 91 octane to bring up the octane to the 93 level. Usually mixture of E85 is 30-50% unless the car has had a E85 conversion kit installed. E85 is approx the equivalent of about 94-96 octane but is very prone to detonation so you can bump up the boost and advance timing a decent amount if the car is designed for it.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Tunes from any Ecu tuner especially in North America will have both 91 or 93 octane options usually as California is a very large market(as is Canada) which are both stuck with mostly 91 octane options at the pumps. You have/tuner has the option of downloading either octane tune depending on customers options and the higher octane version is able to advance the timing/increasing boost slightly without detonation issues with the higher octane version giving a bit more power in the 93 vs the 91 octane version.
I would guess the tune on this Supra is just a 93 octane tune as the numbers aren’t insane given the mods and no mention of “E85 conversion” kit added.

In Canada we have Petro Canada with 94 octane options that can be used or in the States, it’s very common to mix some E85 with 91 octane to bring up the octane to the 93 level. Usually mixture of E85 is 30-50% unless the car has had a E85 conversion kit installed. E85 is approx the equivalent of about 94-96 octane but is very prone to detonation so you can bump up the boost and advance timing a decent amount if the car is designed for it.

We have 93 everywhere in New England (of course it is 10% corn). I hear that some put in a bit of 100LL av gas to sweeten it up a bit. VT and some others now have 91 with no corn (mostly because the powersports folks have complained (Thanks!)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
We have 93 everywhere in New England (of course it is 10% corn). I hear that some put in a bit of 100LL av gas to sweeten it up a bit. VT and some others now have 91 with no corn (mostly because the powersports folks have complained (Thanks!)

Canada is similar in that most are 91 and Petro Canada 94 is 10% ethanol. I used to mix Petro Can 94 and Shell no ethanol 91 to get 92 plus on a 92 octane tune on a former car.

Run a 91 octane tune now on my current car and only use ethanol free 91 octane gas from Shell/Costco/Mobil 1.

Ethanol is good for preventing detonation but not as good for fuel economy so always best to use ethanol free premium unless your tune is for octane levels above what you can get in “ethanol free” in your area.

Race gas can boost octane levels so you can again run higher boost levels but it ain’t cheap or available in places except race tracks, so that’s the appeal of E-85.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier

Not all stations have 93, though, at least in Maine. Rather annoying to pull up to a pump, realize that the best option available is corn-fed 91, and have to decide whether to go find another station or not. In my truck, I don't mind running E10—there's very little chance the fuel will sit for long enough to be a problem, and it's new enough that I know it was engineered for ethanol blends. However, it is boosted, and I'd just as soon run 93 given that there's minimal cost difference to 91.

The bike gets ethanol-free whenever possible, which usually means 91.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stock Supra at Road Atlanta with just tires and brake pads:

And the view from the kid driving:

Fun stuff. Thanks, Jackie Ding!

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I am going to throw out a sleeper car that most likely know one has thought of. 2017 - to current Lincoln MKZ AWD 3.0T .. 3 liter twin turbo, all wheel drive with 400 hp and 400 ftlbs of torque with 93 octane. I have one of these and for a 4 door car, its a blast to drive. Mine is tuned as well with upgraded intercooler, Livernois tune and some other goodies. On a vbox with the tune I get 4.2 to 4.3 in the 0 to 60. Box stock I saw 4.9 on the v box. The publications got 4.8. The disappointing part is the slow shifting 6 speed, I wish they would have put the 10 speed that my f150 has in it. 1/4 mile times in the mid 12s , I ran a 12.6 in June @109 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15099828/2017-lincoln-mkz-30t-awd-test-review/

"The engine is the best thing about the evolved 2017 MKZ. This turbo V-6 pulls like a black hole with matter-of-fact power, seamless torque delivery, and flawless manners as the revs build. That output is sent through a six-speed automatic with tightly packed ratios that top out with a direct-drive fifth gear and an easygoing 0.74:1 overdrive sixth. It’s certainly quick, with the 4307-pound MKZ 3.0T whooshing to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and slurping up the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds."

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to throw out a sleeper car that most likely know one has thought of. 2017 - to current Lincoln MKZ AWD 3.0T .. 3 liter twin turbo, all wheel drive with 400 hp and 400 ftlbs of torque with 93 octane.

I would love this engine in the upcoming AWD Transit.

Talk about a Fun Ski Van!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is going in the new aviator and explorer

Right. I believe the AWD Transit will keep a slightly detuned 3.5 liter version, which is probably more appropriate for that application, but my heart would love a hot rod van!

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm liking the looks of the upcoming Z. They are calling it a prototype but it seems very far along.

And, it has a six-speed manual! That should make Toyota/BMW finally do the right thing and offer a manual with the Supra, hopefully with the 6 cylinder and not just the 4.

It's great to have the C8 putting pressure both from above in terms of performance and price. Good times!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm liking the looks of the upcoming Z. They are calling it a prototype but it seems very far along.

And, it has a six-speed manual! That should make Toyota/BMW finally do the right thing and offer a manual with the Supra, hopefully with the 6 cylinder and not just the 4.

It's great to have the C8 putting pressure both from above in terms of performance and price. Good times!
I'd like to see it with a body colored roof.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun and unexpected news: Lexus is bringing a V8 back to the IS!

472 naturally aspirated horsepower is enough to get me excited!

I'm secretly hoping the six-speed from the new Z will trickle its way up to a next-gen Infiniti GQ. Otherwise, a V8 IS would be awesome. It'd make us an all Toyota V8 family and keep us electric and turbo free. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited: