• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Full tune on the cheap: Spring or Fall?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
All: I like taking skis that are in current use to a shop, once a year, and have a full tune( base grind, and base/side edges reset).

I normally do this when some shops have specials for tuning at half price, etc., in fall. But I think I'd prefer Spring this time because I have two new pairs, and (a) sometimes bases/edges don't come out great, and (b) I will be phantomizing those in the summer.

Any thoughts/recommendations on when and where? I am thinking, any shop in the Truckee are with good tuning and open after I ski, I could drop end of day and hopefully pick up before skiing next time (like a week later). Especially in Spring. Fall is harder because there is no skiing and it's a dedicated trip. Twice!

Many thanks!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Early and late season snow is often a bit thin. I go for a February tune, when I can be pretty confident the snow will be good to the bases and edges.

Rock strikes take the fun out of a nice tune up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@smoothrides. You can get the grind you want and just not have the was done since you'll be Phantoming. They open, I believe at 3pm.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Start Haus is still opening at 8 AM (probably shifting to 9 AM very soon) which is really nice for allowing you to pick your freshly tuned skis and then hit the hill at the opening bell.
Note: they're relocating in a couple of weeks to the other side of the free way!

Sponsor