• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Full time in Stowe--does any one have first hand/real life insight---Erik Timmerman maybe...

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello all;

I hope every one is well and safe.

I was hoping that there could be a member who might share any solid, first hand experience relating to the full time community in Stowe.

Backstory--About me: I am a 62 year old life long skier, a career professional, who worked in NYC. I was finally ready to accomplish my life long dream of living in a western ski town. We were under contract in a house in Park City when Covid hit--so we pulled the contract. Subsequently--we've decided to consider Stowe. I've skied there for 40+ years and know the mountain well. But I have no real insight into the full time community and quite frankly--and this may be entirely baseless & wrong, but I have this intuive feeling that the full time community is not so welcoming to outsiders--not because they're not nice people; but more so becasue they are just so well entrenched in their own town, so well established and tight knit already. Not too many recent full time transplants. Any 1st hand insights would be really well appreciated. Stay safe. David

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The folks you are talking about, the 'locals' don't live in Stowe anymore, we've been displaced to Morrisville/ Hyde Park/ Wolcott. You'll fit right in!

(honestly Stowe is a great community, there are way more second home owners now than 15 years ago, but there is still a vibrant year round community unlike most east coast 'resort towns'.)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think you'll find that there are many more recent transplants than you thought. Also, I think that everyone knows that unless your parents or maybe even grandparents were not born here, you will always be a flatlander and never a woodchuck, so they'll tend to be pretty welcoming to newcomers. I've certainly never felt shunned up here, probably less so than anywhere else I've ever lived.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived in Underhill, on the other side of the mountain, for seven years ending in 1995. So beautiful. I still yearn, sometimes, for that place. This was admittedly more Burlington hippie ruburbs than Stowe, but the locals were great. (I know. That was thirty years ago.) Good luck.

Sponsor