• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FS: 2017 Volkl 90Eight W ladies skis - 163cm--SOLD

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I thought mine were pretty darn good in the trees where the 170cm I went with worked well for me @ ~140lbs, 5'.6.5". However, in the very few times I got to use them, I felt like I'd be happier on the groomers with the 177cm's, once again betwixed and between! I'll see what I think this season. Whatever the verdict, I don't regret the purchase.

I hear ya. I'm not sorry I bought mine. I outweigh you by um a few pounds. I think now on the larger scale i outweigh the 90Eights. I prefer my Meier Wild bills. However, 90Eights are perfect for my teaching mountain when it's powdery/slushy. They will also be great end of season rock skis for killington. They are light and nimble that's for sure. I'll totally keep them but if someone were to approach me about selling them I'd definitely entertain the idea.

Last edited:

TallGuy

Getting on the lift
Skier
I might be interested in these skis for my wife, but am trying to figure out what the right size would be for her. Do these ski short like the Nordica Santa Ana or do they feel more true to length? She is 5'4" and 115 lbs. I'm concerned these would be too long.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
These do not in my opinion ski short like the Santa Ana so I'd say they are more true to size. They don't ski long either They are light and are very easy to ski. I'm a couple inches taller and weigh about 60lbs more than your wife. I know women who are 5'4" who like skis between 163 and 170cm. I think much of it is preference. Maybe others can weigh in if they think this is a good size.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
My wife will be looking for a soft snow ski in the 100 mm range this winter. She has Volkl Kenjas at 163cm which she likes a lot. The 90eights might be right up her alley but her BSL is 309. So 309 - 278 = 31mm. Divide by 2 to keep the binding centered and now the holes are 15.5 mm away from the original mounting points. Is that doable?

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My wife will be looking for a soft snow ski in the 100 mm range this winter. She has Volkl Kenjas at 163cm which she likes a lot. The 90eights might be right up her alley but her BSL is 309. So 309 - 278 = 31mm. Divide by 2 to keep the binding centered and now the holes are 15.5 mm away from the original mounting points. Is that doable?

I'm not sure.

I would think the bindings can be remounted to accommodate her BSL. These skis are the same as the men's model so they can accommodate a variety of BSLs. This would only be the second mounting so that would work!

Maybe someone can chime in here. @Philpug @Muleski

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My understanding is that bindings can be remounted three times as a general rule without any problems. For the record, I am 5'2", 135 lbs, and I just bought these in 163. @Fuller this is a good size for you wife.
Agreed. I've been waiting for someone else to say it.

I'm 5'6.5: 140lbs on the 170cm 90eight and wonder if I should've went with the 177cm length.

IIRC @AmyPJ, is around @Pat AKA mustski's size, demoed the 170cm 90eight and liked them. Maybe she'll chime in.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Three is the guideline but I have seen more. I have seen skis that look like swiss cheese on the topskins and still held a binding fine. For what you are asking, you should be fine especially since you are moving the same binding, the whole patterns are consistent.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. I've been waiting for someone else to say it.

I'm 5'6.5: 140lbs on the 170cm 90eight and wonder if I should've went with the 177cm length.

IIRC @AmyPJ, is around @Pat AKA mustski's size, demoed the 170cm 90eight and liked them. Maybe she'll chime in.
I am 5'5" and weigh 125ish. I skied them in the 170 and was surprised at how EASY they were in that length (that's a pretty long ski for me.) I own the Santa Ana in a 169 and the Volkl's felt shorter.

They are a SOLID, fun, stable ski.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.