• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frontside choices

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
looking at a couple skis for groomer ripping and some bump use.
Kastle mx83
Nordi FA84
Head Rally
I want to stay around this width as I already have skis at 97 and 107...
5/9" 190# thinking that I should be around the mid 170s length wise on these? Any other suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
looking at a couple skis for groomer ripping and some bump use.
Kastle mx83
Nordi FA84
Head Rally
I want to stay around this width as I already have skis at 97 and 107...
5/9" 190# thinking that I should be around the mid 170s length wise on these? Any other suggestions?
The FA84 is about the least friendly ski in the bumps. You are kinda in between sizes on the Kastle 83, 183 is too short and the 183 will ski long in the bumps. The Rally is a ton of fun and if you was na technical ski, a great option, If you aren't looking too "technical" and leaving to more of the bump side, the Blizzard Latigo and Nordica NRGy80. I also like the Scott Black Magic.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You have some nice choices there. You're kinda between sizes for the MX83 -- available in 173 or 183. You're welcome to try my 183's. They are rippers.

I was on the Rally again today and still wonder why I don't own some. Not a great bump ski but awesome on groomed.

The FA84 is a serious stick. Could well be a rodeo in the bumps.

I really like the Blizzard Latigo for a groomer/light off-piste/bump ski. Sized proper for you too.

Edit: @Philpug beat me to the punch, again.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
Ya I'm stuck between wanting a set of rippers or something bumpy as well....I think I'm leaning more towards rippers.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds logical. Your Soul Riders are fine for bumps and other off piste fun.

There are some good deals right now on Kastle FX84. That's another option.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have some nice choices there. You're kinda between sizes for the MX83 -- available in 173 or 183. You're welcome to try my 183's. They are rippers.

I was on the Rally again today and still wonder why I don't own some. Not a great bump ski but awesome on groomed.

The FA84 is a serious stick. Could well be a rodeo in the bumps.

I really like the Blizzard Latigo for a groomer/light off-piste/bump ski. Sized proper for you too.

Edit: @Philpug beat me to the punch, again.
Too slow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Rippers? The FA 84 EDT. Agree with the Kastle length cunundrum. Rally's the more friendly all arounder. I'd suggest a Titan, but I think I'm the only person here who's really connected with them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How about the Monster 83? Flat ski so you an throw whatever binding you want on it, strong so it will hold and a good shape so it will work both in the bumps and still carve well. BAM.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I do have a set of bindings doing nothing....a non system ski would save me some coin unless I go kastle.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I have skied the Titan, super damp, super fast, and a very nice ski. They wanted to go fast, I liked them.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
Have the firearrows changed from last year to this year? There's killer deals on the black ski with the bright green/yellow highlights(2015)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I have skied the Titan, super damp, super fast, and a very nice ski. They wanted to go fast, I liked them.

Then they should be on your list of possibilities. Honestly, I prefer them to the Rally, but I know I'm an outlier.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Self serving post, if you {on anybody else} is interested in a pair of FA 84 EDT's. Check Phil's garage sale for a great deal on a skied once pair of 176cm. Still challenged with my technology and pics, so message me with an email address, and I'll sent them that way. Skis are better than new….wrong size for my daughter.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I had seen somewhere that the 173 mx83 has the same running length as the longer fx84....somewhere in the range of 175/176cm if that's the case the mx would be sized right, that also make Kevin's 183s ski like 185/186cm railroad ties for me, lol. I think I'm looking for a more groomer/hard pack specialized ski like the mx over the fx as I already have two middle of the road do all skis in the gotamas and soul riders. Even as different as those two skis are, I think i pulled the trigger too quickly on the SRs as they seem to overlap quite a bit with the goats. I would have been better served to have bought one of the skis I'm looking at now to go with my gotamas....dam, anyone looking for a set 10 day old 177 soul riders, lol?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Why not an RX?

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
If I go kastle I'll surely have go without a demo. Without a demo I don't think I want to jump to a 70 waist ski. I want these skis to be a performance increase on my 80 wide k2 rictors that they're replacing yet still be somewhat familiar in that 80 underfoot family. The rictors i have are nice skis ijustbought them short and now that I'm a more aggressive skier there's just not enough meat there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
heh...I thought of another option and took a look on Ebay to see if there were any, only a pair of 170's..Hart Pulse. A ski that has the build quality of the Kastle and the feel of a Stockli. Really as good as any ski out there. This pair is actually two right skis. These graphics were actually conceived at @Ron's condo in Steamboat.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I'm going to go to the board shop and check out what they have locally. I can usually get the owner to mount up anything I want to try within reason, he knows I'm gonna buy something eventually and it will be from him almost exclusively. He mostly deals in Icelandic, nordi, head, and volkl.

Sponsor

Staff online