• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Front Side East Coast Daily Driver Demo’s

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking for a powerful ski that carves great, even on ice, but doesn't get too hard to ski in off piste terrain (trees and moguls). It should be quick turning and be more slalom ski than GS ski. It needs to cruise at a relaxed pace as well. This ski will be the final one for my quiver. I received a lot of good suggestions from fellow Pugskier's. Over the course of the last month I demo’d a number of skis for various lengths of time. Here are my impressions of the skis I demo’d:

I was not sure which category would be the right one for me (Race coach, 6’4”, 240lbs, East Coast, expert), I own race skis, and suspected the carving biased all mtn category is what I am really looking for. They run a little longer, are even less stiff, are wider and will be better in moguls and in trees. I am not looking for much out of the ski in trees, but I don't want to have to avoid them when on this ski. If I am on my Rosi race SL ski, I do avoid trees and I ski very slowly through moguls due to how stiff they are. I want the ski to have a relaxed mode as well, and I suspect the race derived skis won't have this.

I also need to re-arrange a couple of skis now that I have tried them. My criteria for placement is mostly stiffness as compared to my race skis.

I added a third category for carving skis that were recommended and are good, but I did not try them for various reasons.

Race derived skis that have some versatility:

Fischer Curv DTX (72), 178 cm - bought the ski on a close out, couldn't resist

Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti, 181cm
K2 Super Charger, 182cm
Fischer RC One 86 GT 175 cm - "rips, it's what you want. Stop here." Advice from a fellow poster.

Atomic Redster X9, 181cm

Fischer The Curv, 178cm

All mtn skis that are carving biased:

Stockli AX (78), 183 cm
K2 Ikonic 84 TI, 184cm

Kastle MX 84, 184cm
Fischer Pro Mtn 86 Ti

Blizzard Brahma (88), 187cm - I own this ski (2017-2018 model)

Carving skis that I did not look at:

Brahma 82 (new)

Blizzard Firebird, 178cm
Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti, 182cm
Elan Amphibio Black, 178
Salomon S/Max Blast, 180cm
Head iTitan (80), 177cm

Head Monster 83, 184cm
Fischer Curv GT (80), 182cm

My Reviews:

Fischer The Curv DTX, 178 cm - bought the ski on a close out, without demo, couldn't resist. The ski needed to be sharpened all the way up the tip to fix a factory tune issue. I have skied this about 6 days now. This ski carves a beautiful arc, what a carver. It feels so good when rolled on edge. Its softer lengthwise than its higher performance siblings, The Curv, or Curv GT, (which are close to race ski stiff) but not any softer torsionally. It has a triple radius side cut, to me that means when I pressure the tip it bends into a very nice “medium sized” short radius turn. If I keep some weight on my heels, it does a nice GS turn. It’s edge hold is excellent, even on bullet proof snow. This ski feels really light underfoot. Its also very maneuverable and soft enough to ski decent in moguls. It does have a square tail which can get a little hung up in bumps, but its so maneuverable its not an issue. I do wish it came one length longer for me. This ski loves high speeds, and is very stable. On roughed up spring groomers (my typical test conditions) the tips do deflect a bit and the ski gets knocked around slightly. This ski is affected by the snow, not the other way around. I am a big guy, so an average sized person probably won’t experience this. This ski is a keeper for me. I will use it to race coach on and ski boilerplate conditions. Its 17m turn radius combined with being able to bend into a short radius arc slots it between a slalom ski and a GS ski. Its not quite versatile enough for my daily driver, however, but it’s a lot of fun to carve turns with.

Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti, 181cm - Demo’d this ski for the day. It’s a fairly heavy feeling ski. Pretty damp for a high-performance carver. This has a 15m radius and it wanted to make short radius turns, which I liked. Problem was it has very soft tips and it would only make the short radius turns in “hero snow”. Hard pack caused it to lose its edge and slarve its turns. Then the ski fought itself. I suspect it had a 1deg/2 deg tune and would have held its edge much better with 0.5/3.0 tune and I would have liked it more. The wide, soft tips got defected all over the place on the roughed up soft groomers at speed. It was hard to control this ski at speed. I really didn’t like this ski and wanted to get off it pretty quickly. Letting it run in the soft rough conditions was dangerous for me, and who wants a “very soft” forgiving carver ?, some might, but not me. The soft tips did make it decent in moguls, but its weight was pretty noticeable.

K2 Super Charger, 182cm - Skied this for two days as my friend owns it. This is a great carving ski. Look out snow, you are going to lose to this ski. No deflection from roughed up groomers. Nice tip that pulls you into a turn. Pretty stiff ski, one notch down from race ski stiffness. It needs an active tip as the ski takes some effort to bend into a short radius turn. It gives a lot back though, if you do. This ski was stable and fun at any speed. I pushed it as hard as I could in fast GS turns and it was rock solid. It was NOT a handful in moguls and glades. It was actually pretty good. The tip allows you to carve your way through and the ski goes where you point it. It doesn’t get ruffled easily, so just keep it trucking and you are good. Very nice ski and I would own this ski. I wouldn’t need a race ski if I owned this one.

Fischer RC One 86 GT 175 cm - "Advice from a fellow poster it rips, it's what you want. Stop here." Well I bet it does rip, but the day I skied it was only for a few runs, and the snow was so mashed potato manky it was hard to tell. The ski is turny, and very quick. It reminded me of my slalom race ski a little. It is also decently wide, but it didn’t ski wide. I really wish I had this ski on hard snow. I was also on the 175cm length and should be on the 182cm length. I couldn’t get a great read on this ski, other to say it was not enough ski for me in the day’s conditions. It was stiff, similar to the K2 Super Charger. It is also a ski with some weight behind it, not sure if its the ski or the bindings. Need to get on the longer version in firmer snow to get a good sense of this ski. @Erik likes it a lot.

Atomic Redster X9, 181cm - I never actually got to ski this one, just hand flexed it in a shop. It was heavy and very stiff, both laterally and longitudinally. It felt like a race ski, even more so than the K2 Super Charger. I have no doubt this ski will perform very similar to a race ski and is probably too stiff a ski for my daily driver needs.

Fischer The Curv, 178cm – I got a one run demo on this ski. I was in fairly good packed snow. My brief impressions were the ski was fairly stiff, but not quite as stiff as the K2 Super Charger. It did not make a short radius turn as easily as I expected. I think I expected close to slalom ski turns. It took some effort to get a slalom turn out of it. Without the effort it wanted to make medium radius turns. It felt very solid and stable. I wish I had skied it more but the demo was over and I had to give it back. Knowing what I know now, the DTX is the more daily driver ski, The Curve the more race like ski.

Stockli AX (78), 183 cm – I skied this one the same day as the Fischer RC One 86 GT. In very soft manky mashed potato snow. The extra length, soft tip, and overall design of this ski made it a lot more manageable in these conditions. I skied it on groomers and some steep mogul runs. I really liked this ski. I was expecting a grabby difficult ski and instead got a compliant enabler. It had minimal gabbiness on mashed potato groomers. Was soft and absorbing in the moguls, easy to pivot over a bump, not edgy and did what I wanted. It had the amazing feeling of being soft when needed and very burly when needed. I guess I felt the turtle shell magic right off the bat. I was impressed with how I could smoosh it into the bottom of a mogul, and rip a hard carve off the top. I really didn’t get a sense of its hard snow carving, but the owner said that is what it is best at. After reading a bunch of reviews, I agree it is a very forgiving and versatile ski. The length is good for someone my size, the 175 is the better size for non-Clydes. I would own this ski.

K2 Ikonic 84 TI, 184cm – I skied this one for two days in lots of different snow conditions. This ski was the surprise and learning experience of the demo’s. On the first day, conditions were firm and I had a hard time getting the edges to bite. The ski slarved well, but not much carve grip. On softer snow, the ski felt great and carved a nice turn. It also felt great everywhere else, including going fast in rough, clumpy snow. When I took it back to the shop at the end of the day, they said it had a 1 / 2 deg tune with dulled tips and tails. They agreed to give it a 0.5 /3 tune, sharp tip to tail and I took it out for a second day. It was Magic, the tune made a huge difference. After one turn I remember thinking, this is a great ski. It felt comfortable from the get go. It had grip in hard snow. It carved great and was stable in all conditions, all speeds. It was the most “all mtn” of all the skis I demo’d. It was so easy to ski. If you take the Super Charger, make it wider, then make it a notch down softer, and a notch down in carving performance, you have the Ikonic 84 Ti. It was good in moguls and trees, not much bothered it. If I have to find fault, it was so composed it might be called a little dull, and it didn’t carve quite as well as the Super Charger. I would own this ski and thought very hard about buying the demo ski which was for sale. If I could only own one ski for all conditions, this would be it. Blister gave it a great review and I agree with everything they said about it.

Kastle MX 84, 184cm – I didn’t get on this ski. I do own the MX 78 and can say the smoothness and dampness of this line is best in class. Not many skis feel like a Kastle, they have a special damp feel on snow.

Fischer Pro Mtn 86 Ti - I did not ski this one either, but I did hand flex the ski in a shop. I was surprised at how light it was when I picked it up. It will be easy to throw around I am sure. It felt decently stiff as well, similar to the K2 Ikonic. A little stiffer than the Fischer Curv DTX. This was described by someone else as an all mtn ski that carves very well. The ski seemed to fit that description well from what I could tell.

Blizzard Brahma (88), 187cm – I own this ski and have been skiing it all season. In the 187 length, it feels like a long, stable ski. Surprisingly, it is easy to pivot and it is very maneuverable. It has some chops, but is not anywhere near race ski stiffness. It is more powerful than stiff. It carves very well on most snow surfaces. I had some issues with the tail releasing on icy surfaces. I think my tail was dulled back somewhat, and I had to get my weight in the right place for this ski. It has very shallow, long rocker in the tip and something similar in the tail. I tend to pressure the tips, which on this ski might have unloaded the tail. I learned to keep my weight centered and pressure both ends of the ski. Or keep it flat and pivot it for quick turns. Issue solved. I like this ski a lot and it is very versatile in most snow conditions. It can zipper line bumps really well and charge at speed equally well. I would describe this as a nice free ride ski that carves really well.

After being on 8 skis, I was demo’d out. Time to make a decision if I wanted to capitalize on some end of season deals. For me it came down to two skis, The K2 Ikonic 84 Ti and the Stockli Laser AX. Both these skis are carver based, as opposed to my Brahma which is freeride based. I just like the feel of a carver for hard snow use. I wanted versatility, which both skis have. I felt like the K2 at 84mm wide would be the better all mtn ride, but the Laser AX’s shape and soft tips made it easier to ski in moguls. Based on the reviews, I figured the Laser AX will be the more dynamic carver on hard snow. I knew I would be happy with either ski, but in the end I was seduced by the lure of the premium ski feel. Winner Stockli Laser Ax.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I took all the skis except the one run demo Fischer The Curv into the trees. When I say moguls, it was a mix of "glades" (trees) with moguls and just groomers with moguls. Since it was this spring, very little fresh snow in the trees, mostly packed snow and moguls. I did get the Fischer DTX and the K2 Super Charger into 4" of fresh snow in the glades. Both did better than I thought and weren't that hard to deal with in fairly widely spaced glades.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Dynastar and Rossi are similar. But if you wanted shorter turn, should have taken out the ST Ti, not the Plus Ti.

It only comes in a 172cm for its longest length. That would be too short for me, unless its race ski stiff, and I already have one of those skis. 175cm Rossi Slant Nose Radical S9, ski made before the Hero series.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been thinking about the Pro Mtn 86 as a cheaper alternative than a Laser AX for exactly the use you describe, but haven't seen it at a demo tent. I did demo the Motive 86 once upon a time and really liked it. Too bad you didn't demo it or the RC One in good conditions. I have a Hero Elite LT to compliment it.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Bethel Maine, Sunday River, the shop: American Ski Co. has the Fischer Pro Mtn 86 to rent or demo. They had a used pair on the rack that I looked at. There is the same shop in North Conway. I am not sure about Vt, though. I chose the Rossi Hero Elite Plus to demo that day over the Pro Mtn. Bad choice, but I learned something. Since they are being discontinued, there should be some good buys on them now.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB Great reviews! I’m currently looking for a 2nd ski to fill the same space (carver oriented w/ not too much difficulty in tracked out bumps & trees) you describe. The iKonic wasn’t on my radar, but now it is, so thanks for the recommendation. I am also interested in the Monster 83. I know you didn’t try it, but was on your list. Just not enough time or was there another reason why it was not tested?

Interested to hear others recommendation as well for this type of ski.

I was looking for a powerful ski that carves great, even on ice, but doesn't get too hard to ski in off piste terrain (trees and moguls). It should be quick turning and be more slalom ski than GS ski. It needs to cruise at a relaxed pace as well. This ski will be the final one for my quiver. I received a lot of good suggestions from fellow Pugskier's. Over the course of the last month I demo’d a number of skis for various lengths of time. Here are my impressions of the skis I demo’d:

I was not sure which category would be the right one for me (Race coach, 6’4”, 240lbs, East Coast, expert), I own race skis, and suspected the carving biased all mtn category is what I am really looking for. They run a little longer, are even less stiff, are wider and will be better in moguls and in trees. I am not looking for much out of the ski in trees, but I don't want to have to avoid them when on this ski. If I am on my Rosi race SL ski, I do avoid trees and I ski very slowly through moguls due to how stiff they are. I want the ski to have a relaxed mode as well, and I suspect the race derived skis won't have this.

I also need to re-arrange a couple of skis now that I have tried them. My criteria for placement is mostly stiffness as compared to my race skis.

I added a third category for carving skis that were recommended and are good, but I did not try them for various reasons.

Race derived skis that have some versatility:

Fischer Curv DTX (72), 178 cm - bought the ski on a close out, couldn't resist

Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti, 181cm
K2 Super Charger, 182cm
Fischer RC One 86 GT 175 cm - "rips, it's what you want. Stop here." Advice from a fellow poster.

Atomic Redster X9, 181cm

Fischer The Curv, 178cm

All mtn skis that are carving biased:

Stockli AX (78), 183 cm
K2 Ikonic 84 TI, 184cm

Kastle MX 84, 184cm
Fischer Pro Mtn 86 Ti

Blizzard Brahma (88), 187cm - I own this ski (2017-2018 model)

Carving skis that I did not look at:

Brahma 82 (new)

Blizzard Firebird, 178cm
Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti, 182cm
Elan Amphibio Black, 178
Salomon S/Max Blast, 180cm
Head iTitan (80), 177cm

Head Monster 83, 184cm
Fischer Curv GT (80), 182cm

My Reviews:

Fischer The Curv DTX, 178 cm - bought the ski on a close out, without demo, couldn't resist. The ski needed to be sharpened all the way up the tip to fix a factory tune issue. I have skied this about 6 days now. This ski carves a beautiful arc, what a carver. It feels so good when rolled on edge. Its softer lengthwise than its higher performance siblings, The Curv, or Curv GT, (which are close to race ski stiff) but not any softer torsionally. It has a triple radius side cut, to me that means when I pressure the tip it bends into a very nice “medium sized” short radius turn. If I keep some weight on my heels, it does a nice GS turn. It’s edge hold is excellent, even on bullet proof snow. This ski feels really light underfoot. Its also very maneuverable and soft enough to ski decent in moguls. It does have a square tail which can get a little hung up in bumps, but its so maneuverable its not an issue. I do wish it came one length longer for me. This ski loves high speeds, and is very stable. On roughed up spring groomers (my typical test conditions) the tips do deflect a bit and the ski gets knocked around slightly. This ski is affected by the snow, not the other way around. I am a big guy, so an average sized person probably won’t experience this. This ski is a keeper for me. I will use it to race coach on and ski boilerplate conditions. Its 17m turn radius combined with being able to bend into a short radius arc slots it between a slalom ski and a GS ski. Its not quite versatile enough for my daily driver, however, but it’s a lot of fun to carve turns with.

Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti, 181cm - Demo’d this ski for the day. It’s a fairly heavy feeling ski. Pretty damp for a high-performance carver. This has a 15m radius and it wanted to make short radius turns, which I liked. Problem was it has very soft tips and it would only make the short radius turns in “hero snow”. Hard pack caused it to lose its edge and slarve its turns. Then the ski fought itself. I suspect it had a 1deg/2 deg tune and would have held its edge much better with 0.5/3.0 tune and I would have liked it more. The wide, soft tips got defected all over the place on the roughed up soft groomers at speed. It was hard to control this ski at speed. I really didn’t like this ski and wanted to get off it pretty quickly. Letting it run in the soft rough conditions was dangerous for me, and who wants a “very soft” forgiving carver ?, some might, but not me. The soft tips did make it decent in moguls, but its weight was pretty noticeable.

K2 Super Charger, 182cm - Skied this for two days as my friend owns it. This is a great carving ski. Look out snow, you are going to lose to this ski. No deflection from roughed up groomers. Nice tip that pulls you into a turn. Pretty stiff ski, one notch down from race ski stiffness. It needs an active tip as the ski takes some effort to bend into a short radius turn. It gives a lot back though, if you do. This ski was stable and fun at any speed. I pushed it as hard as I could in fast GS turns and it was rock solid. It was NOT a handful in moguls and glades. It was actually pretty good. The tip allows you to carve your way through and the ski goes where you point it. It doesn’t get ruffled easily, so just keep it trucking and you are good. Very nice ski and I would own this ski. I wouldn’t need a race ski if I owned this one.

Fischer RC One 86 GT 175 cm - "Advice from a fellow poster it rips, it's what you want. Stop here." Well I bet it does rip, but the day I skied it was only for a few runs, and the snow was so mashed potato manky it was hard to tell. The ski is turny, and very quick. It reminded me of my slalom race ski a little. It is also decently wide, but it didn’t ski wide. I really wish I had this ski on hard snow. I was also on the 175cm length and should be on the 182cm length. I couldn’t get a great read on this ski, other to say it was not enough ski for me in the day’s conditions. It was stiff, similar to the K2 Super Charger. It is also a ski with some weight behind it, not sure if its the ski or the bindings. Need to get on the longer version in firmer snow to get a good sense of this ski. @Erik likes it a lot.

Atomic Redster X9, 181cm - I never actually got to ski this one, just hand flexed it in a shop. It was heavy and very stiff, both laterally and longitudinally. It felt like a race ski, even more so than the K2 Super Charger. I have no doubt this ski will perform very similar to a race ski and is probably too stiff a ski for my daily driver needs.

Fischer The Curv, 178cm – I got a one run demo on this ski. I was in fairly good packed snow. My brief impressions were the ski was fairly stiff, but not quite as stiff as the K2 Super Charger. It did not make a short radius turn as easily as I expected. I think I expected close to slalom ski turns. It took some effort to get a slalom turn out of it. Without the effort it wanted to make medium radius turns. It felt very solid and stable. I wish I had skied it more but the demo was over and I had to give it back. Knowing what I know now, the DTX is the more daily driver ski, The Curve the more race like ski.

Stockli AX (78), 183 cm – I skied this one the same day as the Fischer RC One 86 GT. In very soft manky mashed potato snow. The extra length, soft tip, and overall design of this ski made it a lot more manageable in these conditions. I skied it on groomers and some steep mogul runs. I really liked this ski. I was expecting a grabby difficult ski and instead got a compliant enabler. It had minimal gabbiness on mashed potato groomers. Was soft and absorbing in the moguls, easy to pivot over a bump, not edgy and did what I wanted. It had the amazing feeling of being soft when needed and very burly when needed. I guess I felt the turtle shell magic right off the bat. I was impressed with how I could smoosh it into the bottom of a mogul, and rip a hard carve off the top. I really didn’t get a sense of its hard snow carving, but the owner said that is what it is best at. After reading a bunch of reviews, I agree it is a very forgiving and versatile ski. The length is good for someone my size, the 175 is the better size for non-Clydes. I would own this ski.

K2 Ikonic 84 TI, 184cm – I skied this one for two days in lots of different snow conditions. This ski was the surprise and learning experience of the demo’s. On the first day, conditions were firm and I had a hard time getting the edges to bite. The ski slarved well, but not much carve grip. On softer snow, the ski felt great and carved a nice turn. It also felt great everywhere else, including going fast in rough, clumpy snow. When I took it back to the shop at the end of the day, they said it had a 1 / 2 deg tune with dulled tips and tails. They agreed to give it a 0.5 /3 tune, sharp tip to tail and I took it out for a second day. It was Magic, the tune made a huge difference. After one turn I remember thinking, this is a great ski. It felt comfortable from the get go. It had grip in hard snow. It carved great and was stable in all conditions, all speeds. It was the most “all mtn” of all the skis I demo’d. It was so easy to ski. If you take the Super Charger, make it wider, then make it a notch down softer, and a notch down in carving performance, you have the Ikonic 84 Ti. It was good in moguls and trees, not much bothered it. If I have to find fault, it was so composed it might be called a little dull, and it didn’t carve quite as well as the Super Charger. I would own this ski and thought very hard about buying the demo ski which was for sale. If I could only own one ski for all conditions, this would be it. Blister gave it a great review and I agree with everything they said about it.

Kastle MX 84, 184cm – I didn’t get on this ski. I do own the MX 78 and can say the smoothness and dampness of this line is best in class. Not many skis feel like a Kastle, they have a special damp feel on snow.

Fischer Pro Mtn 86 Ti - I did not ski this one either, but I did hand flex the ski in a shop. I was surprised at how light it was when I picked it up. It will be easy to throw around I am sure. It felt decently stiff as well, similar to the K2 Ikonic. A little stiffer than the Fischer Curv DTX. This was described by someone else as an all mtn ski that carves very well. The ski seemed to fit that description well from what I could tell.

Blizzard Brahma (88), 187cm – I own this ski and have been skiing it all season. In the 187 length, it feels like a long, stable ski. Surprisingly, it is easy to pivot and it is very maneuverable. It has some chops, but is not anywhere near race ski stiffness. It is more powerful than stiff. It carves very well on most snow surfaces. I had some issues with the tail releasing on icy surfaces. I think my tail was dulled back somewhat, and I had to get my weight in the right place for this ski. It has very shallow, long rocker in the tip and something similar in the tail. I tend to pressure the tips, which on this ski might have unloaded the tail. I learned to keep my weight centered and pressure both ends of the ski. Or keep it flat and pivot it for quick turns. Issue solved. I like this ski a lot and it is very versatile in most snow conditions. It can zipper line bumps really well and charge at speed equally well. I would describe this as a nice free ride ski that carves really well.

After being on 8 skis, I was demo’d out. Time to make a decision if I wanted to capitalize on some end of season deals. For me it came down to two skis, The K2 Ikonic 84 Ti and the Stockli Laser AX. Both these skis are carver based, as opposed to my Brahma which is freeride based. I just like the feel of a carver for hard snow use. I wanted versatility, which both skis have. I felt like the K2 at 84mm wide would be the better all mtn ride, but the Laser AX’s shape and soft tips made it easier to ski in moguls. Based on the reviews, I figured the Laser AX will be the more dynamic carver on hard snow. I knew I would be happy with either ski, but in the end I was seduced by the lure of the premium ski feel. Winner Stockli Laser Ax.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Monster 83, it was mostly not enough time and or easy to find source. In the 177 length it has a 18m turn radius. It comes in a 184cm length, which would be what I would want. I assume the turn radius will be 19-20m which is pretty well into the GS ski realm. I have a Kastle MX 78 in 184cm with a 20m radius, and I figure it will ski very similar. As much as I like the MX 78, I was looking for a shorter turn radius ski. If I found one I would have like to try it, but it wasn't at the top of my list.

The Monster in 177cm should be able to make both small and medium radius turns.

James

Out There
Instructor
felt like the K2 at 84mm wide would be the better all mtn ride, but the Laser AX’s shape and soft tips made it easier to ski in moguls. Based on the reviews, I figured the Laser AX will be the more dynamic carver on hard snow. I knew I would be happy with either ski, but in the end I was seduced by the lure of the premium ski feel. Winner Stockli Laser Ax.
I found the K2 Ikonic 84 pretty much only wanted to go fast and make big turns. (Frankly, I disliked it.) I wonder if it had your original day tune issue. Prob your size at 6'4", 240 helps a lot with that ski. I couldn't imagine that thing in bumps of any firmness.

Think you made a wise choice with the AX . Consider +2 to 3 if the 183. Don't know if the 2019 is that way though.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James , it's a pair you know very well...
Aha, the one I used to represent!
Well since @ScottB is so big, maybe just plus 2. Very nice ski. Goodness, so much more interesting than the Ikonic for everything other than absolute mach schnelling.

Scott, will you mount a plate on this Stockli AX?? I suspect you should. Isn't Von Grunigen your middle name?
@Noodler should be consulted.

Now, I dream of the old Fire Arrow 84 edt evo, but with a tapered all mountain tip and a normal plate. What a ski that could have been.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its a small world after all............

What goes around comes around..

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..... (not sure what that has to do with anything, but I am on a roll typing cliche's)

I have a pair of Tyrolia Attack13 Demo bindings that seem just the ticket to mount on the Stockli AX. I have already checked to see how much travel I can get out of them. Looks like I can finagle +4 cm and -1 cm. That should cover me for finding the sweet spot on the ski.

I did this before on another ski (in the opposite direction). It was quite the mounting experience with Race Stock in Waterbury, Vt. It really throws a tech off if you are not mounting the binding per your BSL with the boot mark on the ski's line. It took me 30 minutes to convince him I measured and calculated everything and he should mount it where I wanted, instead of where the mfg's instructions said.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wonderful reviews, thanks. Neat choices, and way of choosing.

Thanks for what you say about the Rossi Hero Elite Plus, confirming of my own experience - a bit of a relief: it was not just me.

After skiing and mildly disliking the Hero Elite Plus Ti, it was a real joy to get a pair of normal Rossi FIS 165 SLs: just a wonderful ski in every way, comparatively too. To me, it does well in bumps, as long as they are relatively mild. But I do avoid "old snow" trees and big, uniform mogul fields on the things.

I think if I skied bumps more, I might get a pair of Brahmas. Really fun in bumps, to me.

My experience with the K2 IKonic 84ti was with the 177 (r. 17.5), which probably fit my stats (150/5'10") something like the longer version fit yours. For the 177s, at least, at my size, those were to me, for such a ski, relaxed, laid back, good at any speed: they had a neat combination of precise carving well and easily, with being able to release and slarve at will, almost like a bit of a freerider. I thought they were very good in bumps, though probably not quite as versatile there, maybe, as the 183 AXes (for me, moved forward). But a real contender. (I'm thinking of them as a carver for my son, who is a fast freerider, and might appreciate that side of that ski on old snow days, plus getting into carving more, perhaps.)

@James, was your experience with the longer IKonic 184?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Wonderful reviews, thanks. Neat choices, and way of choosing.

Thanks for what you say about the Rossi Hero Elite Plus, confirming of my own experience - a bit of a relief: it was not just me.

After skiing and mildly disliking the Hero Elite Plus Ti, it was a real joy to get a pair of normal Rossi FIS 165 SLs: just a wonderful ski in every way, comparatively too. To me, it does well in bumps, as long as they are relatively mild. But I do avoid "old snow" trees and big, uniform mogul fields on the things.

I think if I skied bumps more, I might get a pair of Brahmas. Really fun in bumps, to me

@James, was your experience with the longer IKonic 184?
Yes, the 184. Interesting, very different impression. Couldn't pay me to take that.
Glad yours were good.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, the 184. Interesting, very different impression. Couldn't pay me to take that.
Glad yours were good.
So there's a good chance that at my size, the longer version might have felt similar for me to what you experienced, as was the case with the longer AXes when not moved forward. (And I have no idea at all if the IKonics would respond well to moving forward - some skis don't.)

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to add that, it can take some time to really judge a ski. Sometimes there is a good first impression, and sometimes not. Its not always the ski, the conditions can have an affect. (my experience on the Fischer RC One 86 GT for example) As human beings we have our good and bad days. When I read Blister, they tout the fact they do long term (meaning multi day and multi reviewer) testing before reporting on a ski. Its been my experience that I change my feelings sometimes about a ski, after a little time on it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fischer RC One 86 GT for exampl
Did u review that ski?
The Curve gtx is really too light for you. Your a GT. Hell your one of the few who could probably handle the Curve in the 187 or whatever it is. The Von Grunigen ski. Incredibly heavy, thicker than standard race gs skis. Beautifully made. A beast. You're likely to see some on the market as I think very few were sold.

The other very nice ski is the Fisher wcup rc pro. If you see a 2015/16 version for cheap give it a go. Had a very interesting plate that they abandoned. I have not skied the ski., I'm basing it off in store viewing. No bloated tip! It is narrow at 68 though.

Lol, yeah he's not skiing 90mph on that ski.