• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

From the flats of Ontario

stiickler

Booting up
Skier
Hi!

Nice to find an active ski forum!
I grew up skiing the ice and snow of Quebec's Eastern townships (East of Montreal - check it out) and still make pilgrimages with my wife to my home mountain of Bromont. We currently live two hours west of Toronto and make weekend dashes to Blue mountain with trips to Tremblant and the townships scattered throughout the season. My wife did not grow-up skiing (dabbled in high school) but is now heavily invested with a skill level that means we ski together on all but the most burly of lines. We've had some great ski adventures including Japan, Colorado, Vermont, The Cascades and Whistler. Our trip to the Big three is booked for 2020 with an eye on perhaps Zermatt in 2021? We'll see. We are childless not by choice which makes ski adventuring somewhat easier in the sense that we're not herding around a gaggle of little ones. We do have a blast taking our nieces and nephews skiing though while their parents relax in the lodge (6 total, all under the age of 5 - 3 have been on the slopes already....the other 3 aren't walking yet).

I'll be on the forum researching the heck out of gear, trips, more gear. I'll lurk for a bit then start to chime in :)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Welcome. Although we didn't do it this year, we usually go up to the eastern townships over our MLK weekend (mid January). Usual mountains up there are Sutton, Orford and Owls Head. When home southern vermont is where we call home.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Greetings.. Stratford area eh? Lovely country, despite the lack of anything suitable to ski. Get a skidoo.. plenty of snow in that area due to lake effect.

Maybe I'll see you at Boler "Mountain" some time 120' of vert beats sitting at home.. good place to hone your skills..

TS
stiickler

stiickler

Booting up
Skier
Welcome. Although we didn't do it this year, we usually go up to the eastern townships over our MLK weekend (mid January). Usual mountains up there are Sutton, Orford and Owls Head. When home southern vermont is where we call home.
Thanks!
Love Sutton, Orford and Owls Head! If you get a chance push a bit further up and try Bromont out. We were down at Jay Peak last season and had a blast!

TS
stiickler

stiickler

Booting up
Skier
Greetings.. Stratford area eh? Lovely country, despite the lack of anything suitable to ski. Get a skidoo.. plenty of snow in that area due to lake effect.

Maybe I'll see you at Boler "Mountain" some time 120' of vert beats sitting at home.. good place to hone your skills..

Thanks Wheatking.
You know, I've never tried Boler….I should give it a go one of these weekends :)

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Thanks Wheatking.
You know, I've never tried Boler….I should give it a go one of these weekends :)
You're not missing much ... LOL It's more of a weeknight destination than a weekend resort. and unless the north hill is open.. it's REALLY small..

Great place for kids to get legs under them before tackling a real hill.. it's close to home and really all we got in south-western Ontario. I'm there every week with the kids for their lessons, and if it wasn't for that I'd never visit the place.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Nice Avatar, WheatKing. My daughter from Columbus has a shirt with a skier hanging onto a cow's tail that says, "Ski Ohio". One of my favorites.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Nice Avatar, WheatKing. My daughter from Columbus has a shirt with a skier hanging onto a cow's tail that says, "Ski Ohio". One of my favorites.

My wife & kids have miniature horses and a few are driving ponies.. she's got a ski-joring harness for them that she wants me to try out.. we haven't had enough snow until recently to be able to try it out.. dunno if i want to hitch myself to a critter with a mind of it's own..

Boler is tiny but all we have in southwestern ont.. https://www.skicentral.com/bolermountainlondonskiclub.html

Skied over 5K of vert there one day... that's a lot of chair rides.. LOL..