• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Remember what the 1980 Russia grain embargo and Olympic boycott did for the trade of Canada and Australia? US never recovered those wheat markets lost to Canada dn Australia..
I don't remember that. I hope you're right though, stronger CDN dollar makes life easier in some ways..

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My thoughts? A pissing contest where I'm not sure who really wins.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly, right now it looks like the consumer is the one getting wet.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, right now it looks like the consumer is the one getting wet.
Yep, on both sides, as a consumer AND an investor.
On the bright side, maybe it'll help me sell some of my (barely) used gear! :roflmao:

Reactions: Ron

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Hopefully not a too political a statement but there are generally no winners in trade/tariff battles as historically these disputes have had detrimental effects on the economies of those nations involved.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m pretty sure my K2 mindbenders are made in China. Not surprising, but I was a little disappointed when I saw that.
You won't be disappointed after you get some days on them, they ski great.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets get back to how this relates to snow sports.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
OK frankly I'm now confused in a thread specifically tagged President Trump and in which people are able to express things like it being a pissing contest where nobody wins with no reference to snowsports I get dinged for using the "vote" word.

It may be political but it also is intrinsically related to snowsports because people spending more of their income on things they need means less disposable income for leisure activities and certainly fripperies like new ski hard or soft goods. Buckle up - more retailers to go under.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think all has been said at this point. Thanks for letting it last this long. /Thread Closed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread will remain closed, but we will be adding new information from SIA and other valuable sources as they become available.

US/China Tariffs Update

From the desk of Nick Sargent, SIA - Dated: August 13, 2019
Today, the United States Trade Representative (USTR) announced the next steps in the process of imposing an additional tariff of 10 percent on approximately $300 billion of Chinese imports.

Most specifically, they announced that some of the products on List 4 have been assigned to another list (List 4B) where tariffs will be delayed until December 15. It is important that you review these two lists carefully to see if/when your products may be tariffed.

List 4A (September 1 tariff)
On May 17, 2019, USTR published a list of products imported from China that would be potentially subject to an additional 10 percent tariff. This new tariff will go into effect on September 1. The snow sports-related products are listed below, but please review the official list via the link below for product specifics and HTS subheadings.

• Ski suits
  • Sweaters
  • Gloves, mittens, etc.
  • Headbands
  • Performance outerwear
  • Ski boots
  • Snowboard boots
  • Cross country boots
  • Footwear
  • Skis
  • Bindings

Status