• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

From Oakland to Tahoe to London to the Alps

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Hello all, I realized I didn't do this right when I joined, just a few weeks ago. As an expat in London, I first encountered PugSki through the SkiGearTV YouTube videos, as I was an avid consumer of SkiEssentials videos and content.

I’ve been skiing since I was about 8, in 1987, when my family built a cabin in the Tahoe Donner development, and I progressed from the TD ski hill (which my grandpa, a family practice doctor in Medford, Oregon - originally from the Twin Cities - called the best place to learn he'd ever seen) to ski the steeps, bowls and eventually the off-piste at Squaw, Alpine and Sugar Bowl. During college at Northwestern, I did ski bus trips to Jackson Hole (still perhaps my favourite place to ski) and Steamboat Springs. Since moving to London in 2015 I've taken an annual trip to ski Soelden and the other Oztal mountains, Obergurgl-Hochgurgl, Kuhtai and Hochoetz. But my favourite Alps destination probably has to be Trois Vallees (even though my avatar is from the close second, Portes du Soleil).

Really happy to be a part of this great community, especially during this trying COVID times. It's not merely escapist to hang out in a Skiers’ forum, but the threads on all things in the zeitgeist have been insightful, helpful and community-strengthening.

In solidarity with you all back home, and around the globe.

Christopher

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you skied at Alpe d’Huez?
Was in Les Deux Alpes summer of ‘01 for a week of skiing in July. I believe the Tour was going up to Alpe d’Huez that year. It was somewhere nearbyish. We attempted to go but did so too late- after skiing at lunch. Roads were closed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome.
If you should ever get back to Tahoe, reach out to us.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Welcome.
If you should ever get back to Tahoe, reach out to us.
Thanks, Tricia. I skied Squaw, Alpine and Sugar Bowl between last Christmas and New Years, which was the first time in at least 5 years that I was able to ski in Tahoe during my holiday trips to see my family, due to the draught conditions and lack of early season snow. Now that I know about the great PugSki community, I will certainly give a heads up to hopefully meet up with some of you next Christmas-New Years timeframe.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Really glad to have you.
Now we need pictures, lots and lots of pictures PLEASE!
Thanks Bob. What would you like to see? More of the Alps and Tirol? I unfortunately don't have any photos or videos of my skiing. I need to fix that next season!

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Have you skied at Alpe d’Huez?
Was in Les Deux Alpes summer of ‘01 for a week of skiing in July. I believe the Tour was going up to Alpe d’Huez that year. It was somewhere nearbyish. We attempted to go but did so too late- after skiing at lunch. Roads were closed.
Not yet, unfortunately. It's on my bucket list in the PugSki thread of listing where we have skied, and where we would like to ski. In France I have skied Portes du Soleil, Trois Valees, and Chamonix-Mt Blanc ski centres. I also want to experience Le Tour and especially the Alpe d'Huez stage someday!

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thanks Bob. What would you like to see? More of the Alps and Tirol? I unfortunately don't have any photos or videos of my skiing. I need to fix that next season!

Snowy, sunny, places with people skiing. Never skied Europe unfortunately, and perhaps never will, but lifetime #1 bucket list item is to spend one winter there with 1 pair of skis and a backpack. This ride is not over, so could still pull it off.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Snowy, sunny, places with people skiing. Never skied Europe unfortunately, and perhaps never will, but lifetime #1 bucket list item is to spend one winter there with 1 pair of skis and a backpack. This ride is not over, so could still pull it off.
Here's a selection of photos from my trip to Trois Valees - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens, et al. The largest ski centre in the world. (The second largest is also in France. I will upload those photos next!
7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg xOxwebuaQ1C7WerNtROxBA.jpg mausTHa+Q4+IShb69YKDRA.jpg QTjjuOewQACJf01WDP5foA.jpg 5MMzJPbeT7qpezLvOA7fuA.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg xOxwebuaQ1C7WerNtROxBA.jpg mausTHa+Q4+IShb69YKDRA.jpg QTjjuOewQACJf01WDP5foA.jpg 5MMzJPbeT7qpezLvOA7fuA.jpg qPvKlerASIm6KoAjjcMn0Q.jpg Ha8E5cksRR6cyfRMk8+WpQ.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg xOxwebuaQ1C7WerNtROxBA.jpg 5MMzJPbeT7qpezLvOA7fuA.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg xOxwebuaQ1C7WerNtROxBA.jpg Ha8E5cksRR6cyfRMk8+WpQ.jpg 3U997qpzQ0OTmpLmlUvSyA.jpg +UDfqAUpSBuumLgHzhiHVA.jpg WY58GCVARc+eYRbvCEv0bA.jpg vNJLKODoQ4Ww4CCyZgqrFg.jpg p9xihCSqSVOzp5Tp3dN3Ww.jpg JMc19FijQ6q5fGuYeZWQZQ.jpg puPakRffQt+Ei4RNHItjlg.jpg YuUrY4RCRHu0ML7Pbb5kuw.jpg imPC9kyZSealv0vQTuE3Tg.jpg ExiYkSw7Rn2KEloo4t9RwQ.jpg 7c7BV0eUTIyja3pjGFI0ww.jpg jBgTsIDwTTSq5sZIidX1Ug.jpg van01Hj4Ql2EiqgwVFtbKw.jpg xOxwebuaQ1C7WerNtROxBA.jpg mausTHa+Q4+IShb69YKDRA.jpg QTjjuOewQACJf01WDP5foA.jpg gWZpxN4XSLax6zv1ZYOAoA.jpg 5MMzJPbeT7qpezLvOA7fuA.jpg qPvKlerASIm6KoAjjcMn0Q.jpg Ha8E5cksRR6cyfRMk8+WpQ.jpg 3U997qpzQ0OTmpLmlUvSyA.jpg +UDfqAUpSBuumLgHzhiHVA.jpg vdlESdavRFy5aIoN%WCzdQ.jpg WY58GCVARc+eYRbvCEv0bA.jpg vNJLKODoQ4Ww4CCyZgqrFg.jpg p9xihCSqSVOzp5Tp3dN3Ww.jpg E0V5dlnxQUykVqV9bkNzLw.jpg JMc19FijQ6q5fGuYeZWQZQ.jpg o6gyh1SwRu6kU8pE05SmhQ.jpg K7EO0satQfu%KgvvAQh4Jw.jpg 4oESGjpHSFWiKY92ULoFig.jpg 241+wJxTRAy79ty0a1EdqA.jpg +qReAaqORSunMXLaszhmvQ.jpg puPakRffQt+Ei4RNHItjlg.jpg YuUrY4RCRHu0ML7Pbb5kuw.jpg imPC9kyZSealv0vQTuE3Tg.jpg ExiYkSw7Rn2KEloo4t9RwQ.jpg

Last edited:
TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Little problem uploading photos??
You mean the duplicates? I set each one to thumbnail, then that left a bunch at the bottom labeled attachments, so I added those as well. Looks like multiples of the same photos. More to enjoy, I suppose. Will clean up tomorrow (or later today, as it is already Monday in London).

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is okay, I'm old and forget what I have already seen. Skiing smaller areas is not problem.
The scale of those places is incredible.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
@AlpedHuez Hi Robert, Thank you for the photos. Some friends and I are considering a trip to the Alps next winter and the 3-Valleys is at the top of our list. Is there a specific village you would recommend? I have heard good things about both Val Thorens and Meribel but have no first-hand knowledge. We are all decent skiers and we’ll be flying in from California. I am also a big fan of the French ski lunch. Any insight would be well appreciated. Thank you. -TL

Last edited:
TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
@AlpedHuez Hi Robert, Thank you for the photos. Some friends and I are considering a trip to the Alps next winter and the 3-Valleys is at the top of our list. Is there a specific village you would recommend? I have heard good things about both Val Thorens and Meribel but have no first-hand knowledge. We are all decent skiers and we’ll be flying in from California. I am also a big fan of the French ski lunch. Any insight would be well appreciated. Thank you. -TL
It’s Chris :cool: . I’d recommend Méribel. Courchevel (1850) is mostly a few very posh hotels - 4, 5, and, yes 6 stars (10 in France, 3 in Courchevel). And it’s a ways up from Courchevel 1650 and 1450. Val Thorens I know as apartment rental accommodations. Don’t know about the après-ski there. Méribel, I believe, would have the most accessible mix of hotels, après ski, and restaurants.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Fun non fact - the Courchevel altiport pictured is sometimes attributed as the location for the opening sequence of Tomorrow Never Dies - when in fact for TdF geeks it was filmed at Peyrasourde in the Pyrennees.

The World is Not Enough was however filmed around Le Tour in Chamonix valley and Pierce Brosnan apparently was generous with his credit card behind the bar of the then Wild Wallabies.