• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Folks, should we branch out this discussion about what the different "run classifications" mean? I do think it's interesting on its own. But it doesn't really add much to the OP.
Surely there's already a thread somewhere for this tired subject.
The grooming could be branched off.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....Not everyone likes skiing the same way.....
....This means not everyone will enjoy staying on a green trail until they learn perfect parallel turns. They'd rather quit skiing than do this.
....So, the moral of the story is that there's nothing wrong with the approach in the video for some people. It's what floats their boat. Different strokes for different folks.

Excellent points that need to be acknowledged more often.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah but that wasn't the case with the video.
The incidence of "people making perfect turns on green" and not branching out is near zero. This is a fiction.
The main practioners of that would be harbians.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the moral of the story is that there's nothing wrong with the approach in the video for some people. It's what floats their boat. Different strokes for different folks.

Only if their presence and inability to control their skis doesn't cause risk for others present or cause others to have to rescue them when they get hurt because they had no business being on the run.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd take my chances with her before I trust some experts going 60 mph to see a rock or death cookie and avoid taking me out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Folks, should we branch out this discussion about what the different "run classifications" mean? I do think it's interesting on its own. But it doesn't really add much to the OP.

I think the discussion about run classifications can stay here as relevant to the OP, but the stuff about using a winch and how grooming can happen on significant slopes is a topic on its own.
I can do it.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think I got onto a blue in three days, but once I got sick of the crowds, I did start moving up in trail difficulty. For me, it seemed reasonable that to move up in skill and terrain I would have to occasionally over-terrain myself, recognize the skill gap, fill it in with lessons, tips, or just practice on a less difficult run, then retest myself on a more difficult run. Rinse and repeat. This kept me entertained and challenged. But I should have taken more lessons earlier on than I did.

You know, Killington has several steep groomed black diamond runs. It's where they hold those things called races.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What do we think of this. Don't really see the process. 3 days from zero to "black diamond".
After the first 15 sec or so, skip to 1:45 to avoid the Greyhound schill.

@Ron , this was at Steamboat.

I would love to se her take swing at Loafer and Davis "Blue Diamond" runs in ABasin's The Beavers on an average day. :roflmao: I dont think its gonna end well :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have to occasionally over-terrain myself, recognize the skill gap, fill it in with lessons, tips, or just practice on a less difficult run, then retest myself on a more difficult run. Rinse and repeat.
I like to say, "one too easy, one too hard, one just right." I think you have a right to a little bit of over-terraining if you want it.

but the stuff about using a winch and how grooming can happen on significant slopes is a topic on its own.

Back before they had winch cats (see, it is relevant) Outer Limits at Killington really did have VW-Beetle-sized moguls. And the first time I went down it, I fell on every single one. [At the end, we came into the lodge at the bottom and a guy sitting in the window said "nice run, man.":roflmao:] But other runs that were hard were suddenly easy after that.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Back before they had winch cats (see, it is relevant) Outer Limits at Killington really did have VW-Beetle-sized moguls. And the first time I went down it, I fell on every single one. [At the end, we came into the lodge at the bottom and a guy sitting in the window said "nice run, man.":roflmao:] But other runs that were hard were suddenly easy after that.
They can still get that way. Now they have the option of making them disappear.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I like to say, "one too easy, one too hard, one just right." I think you have a right to a little bit of over-terraining if you want it.

I remember looking at it in 1986 and saying that it was just impossible to ski with any sort of competency... at least by mere mortals.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up on a blue run that had VW sized moguls, at Brighton, many years ago. Suffice it to say that I was definitely over terrained on that run!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to se her take swing at Loafer and Davis "Blue Diamond" runs in ABasin's The Beavers on an average day. :roflmao: I dont think its gonna end well :roflmao:

I saw a young kid slide down the steepest part of Loafer on his back. You shouldn't need self-arrest skills on an intermediate trail!

Check out how the trail dives right down those topo lines at the blue square labeled B-4 I circled in red:

PPL_131113_ai.jpg

Full Beavers Expansion Map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/95192_FSPLT3_1462715.pdf

Paul Shifflet

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
Bet she's loving the clicks she's getting with 1,800 views on this site alone.

1800 views of the thread doesn't translate into 1800 views of her video. It's probably between 100-200 views from this site. Out of 521,302 views, that's nothing. Sorry, we're small potatoes, and she probably doesn't care about our opinion much. Go ahead Phil, hit the hate button. Lucky me, you don't have one.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
By the topo that blue looks just as steep as the black yet has a double fall line?
Yeah, it's awesome. They should put up a live video webcam there. :rolleyes:

I don't have a pic of that fun spot, but for context here's the other "blue" run in the Beavers where it goes under the lift. It's B-2 on that map above, aka Davis:

IMG_20190601_130413.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
By the topo that blue looks just as steep as the black yet has a double fall line?
Yeah, the blues in the Beavers are pretty steep. But the blacks have trees (except the lift line).
I was just looking at the trail map and realized how much of the Beavers I never skied. Everytime we went off the blue we wound up on trees on Bailey Brothers or the bumps under the lifts. Not on purpose, it just sort of happened.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The reasoning is that by keeping it "groomed" the blue run is easier than the "black". But since the top part of the blue run is above treeline and in a different aspect the "blue" run is SLICK most times and just wind blown. I actually love it. Great spot to test the edge hold on skis. :D Most rental skis can't handle it.

Like @tball said, there should be some cameras there! :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bringing the off-topics together, I don't think you should need a winch cat to groom a blue run as they do in the Beavers.

Is that a fair general criterion for not-blue? A blue run should be groomed it without a winch? Do any other blue runs out there need winch cats?

It's awesome Al discusses this on his blog:
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2018/01/loafer-closed-thursday-winch-cat.html
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2018/12/loafer-and-davis-and-grooming.html
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/02/loafer-and-davis-skiing-nicely.html

Sponsor