• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Leashes are usually about the parent. I have seen very limited use of them at a very young age work out. I think they used it a little at 2-3. That kid at age 5 was incredible. Probably better than Mikaela at that age. Plus, he'd learned to snowboard because he was so much better than other kids skiing he got bored so took up snowboarding.
So, while I'm generally against them, they can be ok in very limited use.

I saw last season in Switzerland a leash used on roughly 5 yr old on a very steep groomer. That's just crazy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO this is another youtube case of looking for instant gratification. Lets do in three days what it takes a lifetime to learn and enjoy. Skiing is about the journey, not the destination. As far as the terrain, it about how you ski the terrain, not what terrain you ski. I am surprised a mountain would support this considering that they have trained professionals on staff who should have been used..or at least consulted.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I couldn't even watch the whole thing it pissed me off so much and the "instructor" damaged her own reputation by doing something so stupid.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The instructor was Sophia Schwartz. Here's some info on her from my.ussa.org.

Sophia Schwartz is no rookie to moguls skiing. All her hard work paid off in the form of a first-place finish at the 2013 U.S. Freestyle Championships in Heavenly, CA. She also racked up an impressive lineup of NorAm results, which included two wins. Schwartz took her NorAm success and translated it into World Cup success in the 2014 season. She secured a top-10 finish in every World Cup she started, including a fourth-place finish in Lake Placid, NY, and a pair of sixth-place finishes in La Plagne, France, and Val St. Come, QC. She capped off the 2014 season with back-to-back second-place finishes at U.S. Championships. The 2015 season was a tough one for Schwartz, but she ended on a positive note with top-10 finishes at U.S. Championships.
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 1.14.58 PM.png

This video promotes the Greyhound Bus line. It is one in a series of videos that Michelle Khare has done where she is paid to do something "adventurous" by a sponsor. Greyhound is paying her to take on this particular adventure, and I bet Greyhound arranged things with Sophia Schwartz.

Michelle Khare also did 3 days training like a Marine recruit at Parris Island. The Marines sponsored that adventure. She trained for 6 weeks as a ballerina and performed at the end before a real audience; I'm not sure who sponsored her to do that. Ms Khare has a fascinating career going on.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I hope Greyhound has improved. Last time I took it from Philly to DC about three years ago. Got the ticket online. Then wondered where the station is. No mention on the ticket, nor the booking page. My friends figured it was 30th st station where the trains are. It took me 7 or 8 pages on tbeir site to find out. Ridiculous. It wasn't 30th st either.

On the way back I booked through a third party. Might still have been Greyhound. They tell you everything you needed to know upfront. So much easier.
That's the difference between an old style utility company, from the top down, and new style co from the customer experience up.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I hope Greyhound has improved. Last time I took it from Philly to DC about three years ago. Got the ticket online. Then wondered where the station is. No mention on the ticket, nor the booking page. My friends figured it was 30th st station where the trains are. It took me 7 or 8 pages on tbeir site to find out. Ridiculous. It wasn't 30th st either.

On the way back I booked through a third party. Might still have been Greyhound. They tell you everything you needed to know upfront. So much easier.
That's the difference between an old style utility company, from the top down, and new style co from the customer experience up.
And people wonder why these businesses fail.... Look at Sears..I dunno about the US but in Canada they were primed for an internet expansion..they had a great distribution network in all the butt-fsck locations, already had phone order people that could easily have been put into web response. But they had no idea how the web worked or how to make themselves relevant.. Giant fail..then they want pity...

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
And people wonder why these businesses fail.... Look at Sears..I dunno about the US but in Canada they were primed for an internet expansion..they had a great distribution network in all the butt-fsck locations, already had phone order people that could easily have been put into web response. But they had no idea how the web worked or how to make themselves relevant.. Giant fail..then they want pity...
Yeah Sears was just a joke. God online was terrible. Even the look of it was bad.
Doesn't take a genius to figure out the stores sucked. Just go shop at them. There used to be a Sears Hardware store I went to. Incredible amount of stuff. Racks of bizzare parts for making things, tools. Really good. Usually, the lack of annoying sales people is a plus, but there it was a job just to try to buy something. Anybody here?? Trying to get to look at a locked item was a joke.
But, let's search for ceo's and pay them millions, blame it on the internet. Just amazing. Amazon before amazon and they drove it into the ground.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well Greyhound comes right up on Google now.

Pretty sure Sears Holdings threw in the towel a long time ago. Had they wanted to make a real go of it they would have paid up to terminate leases instead of letting the stores slowly die and then selling valuable assets. Instead, they took loans from affiliated entities to prop up the stores while they sucked the value out of any parts worth selling.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Too bad our freestyler pro didn't introduce our star Michelle to her good friend the young female Lll with the ski school and do this right; but that is not how the story went. Our pro bumper could have rejoined occasionally to see the progress. Steamboat missed the boat here.

Undoubtedly everyone would have been happier.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too bad our freestyler pro didn't introduce our star Michelle to her good friend the young female Lll with the ski school and do this right; but that is not how the story went. Our pro bumper could have rejoined occasionally to see the progress. Steamboat missed the boat here.

Undoubtedly everyone would have been happier.

Steamboat didn't sponsor the video and I doubt they were involved other than being where it was filmed.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Steamboat didn't sponsor the video and I doubt they were involved other than being where it was filmed.

Too bad because it is pretty poor PR for them - the youtuber hanging out with SSWSC fleece on the gym etc makes it look like someone is endorsing it (& yes I know the WSC will not be the same as the Ski Corp). Plus the shilling of "great views" while they ski that fugly mess of theme park infrastructure and tower blocks at the base isn't helpful.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
People usually ask 'what do you ski?' vs. 'how do you ski?' Video is a classic example of this type of thinking. Though it makes sense for a non-skier to ask this type of question, since they can relate to the answers of 'what' more than the 'how.'

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
People usually ask 'what do you ski?' vs. 'how do you ski?' Video is a classic example of this type of thinking. Though it makes sense for a non-skier to ask this type of question, since they can relate to the answers of 'what' more than the 'how.'

At the Taos Ski Week ski-off this year, they asked me what I usually skied, and I said "all the blues and some blacks" forgetting where I was for a moment.

At Taos my answer should have been "most of the blues", as there were some trees and mogul runs I didn't usually ski there.

I recognized my error right away and asked the instructor I was grouped with what the group would be skiing, and she said something like "all the single black bumps by the end of the week" which I knew was over my head.

So I moved down a group and had a great week.

Over-terraining is fun for a run or two sometimes for the challenge, but isn't a great way to learn.

Circling back to @Seldomski 's comment above, the problem with asking "how do you ski?" is that I don't know what the expected answer is, or how I should answer it. My first thought for an answer is "I ski OK".

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Did I ever tell you guys about the lesson with the Navy SEALs?

You tell that one and I’ll tell the one about the disabled Marine skier that wanted to learn that "sissy" sport of snowboarding.:rolleyes:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think it is the difference between serving a black diamond run and skiing a black diamond run. When people are learning to ski we see them on trails that are too much for their ability. They aren't skiing them they are just struggling to get down to the bottom so they can say they skied that particular run. Not the safest thing for them or for us if we are in their out of control path.

Sponsor