• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

From Junior Nationals podium to brain injury

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
This is super sad to here about a local up and comer and his family dealing with this tragedy. All the support you can provide, please do so:

Wiley’s Story
"Our beautiful boy Wiley is fighting hard for his life and health after a fall and traumatic brain injury which occurred in the most benign of settings. On March 24th, 2018, after a great day of skiing with friends in Utah, we went out for a movie. Killing time, waiting for the show to start, we were outside on a pedestrian bridge. There was a low wall on the opposite side that, deceptively, looked to have grass immediately behind. In fact, there was a gap between the grass and bridge that dropped 25 feet to a service road below. Excited and energetic, Wiley lept onto the wall, looking back at us, and dropped to the other side expecting a short and soft landing on grass, as we expected too. Hearing a delayed hit from below, we knew this wasn’t the case.

Frantically, I searched for a way down. When I got to my boy I was sure he was lost to us. I now know that grief. Within five minutes the ambulance was there; ten more and he was at Intermountain Hospital, Level I Trauma Center in Murray, UT. Dr Peter Maughan performed a decompressive craniectomy (removal of a section of skull to allow the brain to swell). There is significant damage to his left brain. Other various fractures and breaks are not of concern, his spine is okay, and bruised lungs will heal. He is fighting hard.

Wiley has always been a determined young man. He is an excellent, Freshman Honor Roll Student at Durango High School. He is sweet, loving and caring toward his friends, family, and teammates, never in serious trouble, focused and attentive (when we pry his nose out of video devices). He has a long and arduous road ahead toward recovery. While he is as well prepared for this journey as anyone could be, the outcome is uncertain. The care at IMH is outstanding. Given the circumstances we couldn’t be in a better place.

We so appreciate your taking an interest in Wiley’s recovery. The love and support that has been flowing from our home community, Durango (and well beyond) is staggering. As hard as this is-and it is the hardest thing we have ever endured- it would be unimaginable without your love, prayers, and positive thoughts for Wiley’s recovery. You are helping us become the warriors needed to fight alongside our precious boy. Thank you."

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wiley and all of your family have all the positive thoughts and love coming at you. As a parent, just can not even fathom the pain for you all.

Is there ANYTHING this little group can do to help?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't imagine the pain Wiley's family is going through
Fight Wiley, Fight!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From the Caring Bridge site, written by Wiley's dad:

A woman texted me today that I didn’t know, connected through a Durango friend, and told me story of her son in similar situation. Here is the heart of her story:

“His horse accident happened in August of 2014 when he was 19 and a graduating sophomore at Colorado College. We were told a week into his 7 week stay in the neural ICU unit at the University of Colorado Medical center that he would never have “mentation”..the ability to think. He is now 25, graduated with a degree in Environmental Science and is presently returning from traveling on his own in the middle east.

"I will not go into details, but, ONE doctor believed in one vital sign that Ben had. His oxygen level… 'That boy’s O2 lying in a coma is better than anyone’s in this room'….Ben was a 3 time jr. national Nordic skier.”

Now that’s inspiring, eh? Especially as I check Wiley’s 02 pegged at 100% at the moment.......

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Update;
This was an encouraging and an interesting perspective from another Durango local who was on a car accident and suffered major head trauma:

"April 6, 2018, 11a

Journal entry by Andy Corra — 8 hours ago

HR 84/ Pulse Ox 98/ BP 118/69/ temp normal/ WBC 15,000 (that’s falling into the better range as infection indicator). Wiley had a good night, according to Alison. Very active, but in a good way. He falls asleep for about 5 minutes, and when awake, moving, moving, moving, but not in an agitated way- antsy, bored, exploring. He is ready (today at least) for more intensive PT, I think. The big concern is for his hurting hisself, whacking his skull- or brain more precisely, where the skull is missing. His hand (left) goes from south to north, rubbing his eyes, where he now has a bit of pink eye- likely from bacteria picked up in the Southern Hemisphere. If we free his hand, one needs to be at his side, on high alert, quick and strong. All of this is good stuff. You can see the fog lifting, lifting. Still not a lot of action on the right. Alison said he was exploring his right arm with left last night. Picking it up, feeling it. Like when an infant discovers her toes and puts them in her mouth as a tangible connection and confirmation that, hey! This is part of me. Each time, a new neural pathway is found, a new exit on the freeway to explore, whether a gentrified neighborhood or scary part of town, mapping out his new future.

Erin Casey, a young woman from Durango who had a TBI several years ago, and is now preparing for her wedding and training for a half marathon, made an enlightening analogy of her recovery. This is second hand, but she said to the effect- “it’s like you take the filing cabinet of your mind, tip it over and spill the files randomly on the floor”. The information is there, but hard to find. With time, you can reorganize. I presume that reorganization can and will be in a new order. Tax info and business plans don’t have to be in the top drawer any longer, right behind dog photos. They can be in a bottom, middle file, in front of guacamole recipes, but no matter. When it’s fiesta time, you may look for recipes in its old spot at first, but then realize the new file location and the guac is as delicious as ever for the party. Right now, the office floor is scattered with files and he is exploring randomly. On can find a lot of interesting information that way that has been hidden away, unexplored for years.

PT just arrived and has had him sitting up and working hard for the past 20 minutes. His HR is staying reasonable, and he is working with that determined look on his face- just as he likes. I’m watching him start to fall asleep upright. A good session. Time to start thinking about next step(s) again. Direct to Craig, intermediate step? Not sure, but thinking"