• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frida Hansdotter

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
If I understood this right, I admit my Swedish was bad when I was still skiing, and it sucks big time now, 20 years later, but I certainly didn't see this one coming, and I didn't really have much contact with her serviceman since middle of January, so I was totally clueless. Looks like Hansdotter is finishing her career after finals in Soldeu in 2 weeks.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah it came quite suddenly and unexpected, but it's official. She's done after Andorra.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I'm not super surprised by it. She's been struggling toward the end of this season, she's 33, she's won an Olympic gold medal and many races and worlds medals, what more is there to do? Especially with Shiffrin and Vhlova dominating slalom. I've really enjoyed watching Frida, congrats on a great career!

I much prefer to see athletes make the decision and move on like Frida is doing than try to hand around for a few more years.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just as she seemed to be getting a handle on GS. She has always been super consistent with a solid & versatile technique. Great athlete!
Too bad she had to face the likes of Shiffrin during her peak years.
Frida Hansdotter.jpg

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sad to see her retire — an elegant athlete — but it's smart of her to end her career before it sinks. Like Holdener, she was unlucky to peak during the Shiffrin reign.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
Say it ain't so! Great racer, classy lady, and an excellent ambassador for the sport. Damn, I'll miss watching her race next season and am going to have to find someone to fill out my short list of favorites.

images

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mattias Hargin is another Swede who we won't see racing World cup anymore. First I wanted to write, he's putting skis to corner, but I know him good enough that I know there's no way he will do that :) He just won't be racing, and instead on race skis, he will spend way more time then he did till now on pow skis, but it's going to be kinda weird not to see him around anymore. Especially as he's really really cool guy.
Who else will follow? Contrary to what people think, Neureuther is staying for at least another year. It's nothing official or anything, but lets say I have good enough info to dare to say that ;) Myhrer... I guess noone, not even himself knows about that, but I would say there's more chances he will finish his career then that he will continue. Hirscher... week ago I was sure Kranjska Gora will be last time I will see him racing live. Now I'm not so sure, so maybe there's some 20% chances he will actually go on. Moelgg is probably also safe bet to say he will finish, as well as Lizeroux, but honestly not so sure about Grange. I was sure 5 years ago already he will finish, yet he's still here, and not even doing that bad, well at least until injury.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mattias will do his last WC performance in the team event in Andorra. Great guy.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
All the best to Hargin. Have always heard that he is a great guy. I believe that he has a few "irons on the fire" for the future. Just no racing.
I'm hearing the same about Neureuther, from a close mutual friend. I agree with @Primoz with "at least another year...." I would bet on one. Agree with @Primoz's list and handicapping.
I believe that we'll see Hirscher retire, but I don't think he'll announce it for a while. Not this week. I'd agree on the roughly 20% chance that he sticks with it....which means 80% that he'll retire. We're sure as hell going to miss him when he's done....be it in a week, or in a year.
I have heard that Ligety was planning to ski at least another year, BUT his back is flaring up again, and to be brutally frank, he's just not competitive. His best WC GS result is a 7th, followed by a 15th, I think. It was brutal to watch last weekend. So, I don't know. I hate to see these athletes hang on, and some who were once at the top and have contracts negotiated when they were different skiers, often hang on for the money. I have no idea what Ted's situation is. He's no doubt done very well financially, and of course he has Shred/Slytech.

We'll see. Maybe some more thinning out. Resi, I assume, is at the end of the road.

We haven't discussed injuries lately, but there sure have been a bunch. RagMo and Lara Gut this week. Seems like a lot this season. Have heard a few theories as to why, but none that I would salute as "right." Most center around too much time on snow, particularly off season. Used to be more conditioning and dryland, and more rest. Just seems like a lot of injuries.

Hope that it's a great week for everybody racing at WCF's. Will be some interesting races.....

Last edited:
TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh yeah I forgot Ligety. I have no info about him, but based on his skiing, I would say he's on the end. Also regarding money, I don't think he needs to ski another year, but who knows. But realistically, even if he would be perfectly healthy, I don't see any better results then they were this year. Beaver Creek was one "lucky" one, but realistically he's somewhere around p25. Not really sure results like that fit to someone called Mr. GS. So hopefully he will finish his career and be remembered as Mr. GS and not someone skiing for another 10 years starting with number 60 in few months.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it your opinion or have you heard from somewhere?
No, I know nothing. Just opinion. I don't see the curve turning around. Another bad year doesn't do much for him.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, I know nothing. Just opinion. I don't see the curve turning around. Another bad year doesn't do much for him.

There might be contracts/money involved that are hard to say no to. But Shred’s back might be an issue.

So post Frida, I look forward to ASL keeping on keeping on. Emelie getting back to her old self (season 17) and then alphand back on the team. I predict an interesting future for Swedish speed women too. Men’s team need a few years. New guys needed.

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I hate to agree with "Men’s team need a few years. New guys needed", as head speed coach is really good friend of mine, but no matter what, I agree. These guys that you have now are young, but I honestly don't see them somewhere much higher up then they are. Well if we are realistic, Olsson was "famous" for his brother, and his big mouth (don't get me wrong, he's really cool guy, but not so good downhiller as he tried to present himself), so last good Swedish downhiller was Patrik Jaerbyn, and I have feeling there will still be some time, before Sweden will have another one like that.
On women side, you have few strong young one, so if all goes well and without injuries future looks much better then on men side. Same for tech, as if Myhrer quits and sooner or later Matts will quit too, you are basically without a single top 30 skier... in any discipline.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hate to agree with "Men’s team need a few years. New guys needed", as head speed coach is really good friend of mine, but no matter what, I agree. These guys that you have now are young, but I honestly don't see them somewhere much higher up then they are. Well if we are realistic, Olsson was "famous" for his brother, and his big mouth (don't get me wrong, he's really cool guy, but not so good downhiller as he tried to present himself), so last good Swedish downhiller was Patrik Jaerbyn, and I have feeling there will still be some time, before Sweden will have another one like that.
On women side, you have few strong young one, so if all goes well and without injuries future looks much better then on men side. Same for tech, as if Myhrer quits and sooner or later Matts will quit too, you are basically without a single top 30 skier... in any discipline.

I was talking men's tech--speed not in the equation as there has been very little effort put into it. So men's team is complete darkness at the moment. Women will do fine. Som many younger skiers too.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Swedes have a great very young tech skier named William Hansson. 2001 born and has all the right tools and support. Will be interesting to see him develop over the next number of years.

Know him as he used to train out this way in Canada. Nice kid too.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From another Stockholm-club. My oldest a 2002–so they did sometimes go to the same races every second year when they were younger and in the same U.

Sponsor

Staff online