• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This image of Steven Nyman clipping a gate but releasing and finishing the run at the Streif is incredible.
Edit: he didn't finish, he DNF'd
How does a knee torque like that and keep going?
Steven Nyman torque.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
That's crazy. Looks like it's near the max. I suppose it's a good thing the left ski is on top to slow that one down.
I hope he complained about the blue dye slowing him down. ogwink

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The frame shows the complete release of boot and binding. Someone set it up RIGHT!
A micro second more, and inertia would seal the deal on a long rehab.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When was that supposed to be? He didn't race at Kitzbuhel this year due to a crash in Wengen.

Looks like he dnf'd on a training run in 2017.

Nyman's Kitzbuhel record. First raced there in 2005.
https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/...itzbuehel&disciplinecode=&position=&limit=100

This is the actual quote pulled from the freeze-frame
January 2017
Captured this freeze frame of USST downhiller Nyman Steven hooking a gate in Hahnenkamm training run. His ski eventually released (good job Fischer/Tyrolia bindings) but not before his lower right leg torqued violently 90+ degrees to the outside. Amazingly, no knee damage and he raced a day later finishing 10th. That dude had some strong muscles guarding that knee. Mine would have been spaghetti.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
How does a knee torque like that and keep going?
Our body, bones and ligamets are damn tough thing, but sometimes you just need one hell of a luck. And in this case it was pure luck. With luck he walked away unharmed, with a bit less luck, his season could be over on that same spot. Sometimes works out, other times it doesn't.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Our body, bones and ligamets are damn tough thing, but sometimes you just need one hell of a luck. And in this case it was pure luck. With luck he walked away unharmed, with a bit less luck, his season could be over on that same spot. Sometimes works out, other times it doesn't.

Yep. Hirscher clipping a brush 'gate' in 2017. Looks relatively minor. Broken ankle.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any bets on the DIN setting, perhaps with the over under at 25?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Easy bet... 20. Fischer speed bindings go to 20, and personally I don't know anyone on speed side that would be running their bindings on anything but max setting.
Old school days people changed the springs in some race bindings so they were higher than what the label said.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would dare to bet there's not a single serviceman on WC today that would know how to do that :D Probably same goes for RD in companies. But pretty much all speed bindings are used exclusively for race service, so there's no need for any DIN marking labels, especially wrong ones :)

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I cringe when I see the speed guys tag a gate with their shoulder. At the speeds they run, that has to hurt! I can't imagine getting as close to a gate as Nyman did.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
I would be surprised if the DIN wasn't higher. Having looked at Mikaela's 212 SG skis at Mammoth the weekend before last, I was surprised that there were between 20 and 24 and Nyman is just slightly bigger than Mikaela which is why I would assume he is higher, but this is admittedly coming from someone who knows nothing about the Fischer WC stuff.

There were some red unlabeled bindings that went to 24 or 26, can't remember which. The white labelled X20 bindings were set at 20, but the red one's in this pict were around 24ish.

20190505_083827.jpg
20190505_113853.jpg

Mini Comish on the right. The ski team parents were in full stalking mode! After the rest of the team was done w/ SG training she went up and ran a bunch of GS by herself and her posse. Pretty cool for the little one's to be training next to the best in the world!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid