• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Freeride Systems Antero Jacket

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Review: Freeride Systems

Freeride Systems (FRS), based in Leadville, CO, joined the indie crew in 2011, making gear designed by skiers to meet the needs of those who ski, hike, and work in a variety of conditions. Whether you are cruising mellow groomers, choking on powder during a storm, bashing tight trees on a warm spring day, or skinning up 2,000 ft on a cold dark morning, you need to have gear that will work with you, and no compromises. Enter Freeride Systems.

image-jpeg.2487

Ron (left) in the Antero II Plus and Kevin in the Antero II.

Using materials such as Polartec Neoshell, FRS has created a line of jackets that meet specific needs; this review will focus on the Antero II and Antero II Plus. Designed and manufactured in Colorado, the jackets exhibit excellent build quality; I could find no flaws in mine. It is the same quality of any other premium brand but at a lower price point.

The jackets share an identical design but are made from different materials. The Antero II ($399) is a softshell with a nice fleece backing and is the heavier of the two. The ultralight Antero II Plus ($419) is a hardshell that still has some stretch and give. Neither has a powder skirt, which in my opinion is a good decision; I don't ever use one. You can cinch the bottom of the jacket if needed.

I bought the Antero II Plus because I wanted a lightweight jacket. It is a true three-season piece, possibly even four. Even with the Neoshell, FRS added pit zips, nice for dumping heat fast while hiking. The fit is different from most brands, which is a good thing. I am tall and thin, 6 ft, 170 lb, with a slightly wider upper back and shoulders (no Arnold here!) that put me in large sizes for most brands, but then I end up with a big baggy mid-section. After speaking with the folks at FRS (who are happy to help you get the right product), I opted for a medium tall. It turned out to be perfect: the sleeves are a couple inches longer and the jacket covers my butt, which keeps me warmer, especially on cold lift chairs.

Several features stood out to me:
  • Neoshell: Polartec Neoshell breathes while providing a very high degree of windproofness; unlike other materials in a similar class, it retains heat better when it gets cold. It is also waterproof; for Colorado skiing, we don't often need that but it will be nice for spring and fall hiking.
  • Pit zips: Ok, yes, I am psyched over pit zips! Why? because FRS is the only brand to get them right. The large one-pull zipper works so easily that you can truly use one hand and not have to hold the jacket with the other. Amazing! Best thing since sliced bread. Anyone who shares this frustration should buy the jacket based on this feature alone.
  • Front zipper: FRS incorporates super smooth and easy zippers. They don't freeze and haven't gotten stuck once. The double zipper on the front is great for getting into the pockets of your layers. There is no need to unzip the entire jacket in really cold weather, just zip up from the bottom enough to reach those pockets. I use it all the time now. Not having to fully unzip the jacket when nature calls is also a bonus!
  • Collar: The Antero has an independent hood and collar. On cold days, you can leave the hood down but still have a nice collar to block wind and cold. I love this. The collar also has a nice adjustment tab on the back for tightening it. I do wish the internal sides of the collar had a fleece backing, though.
  • Hood: There is nothing nicer on a blustery day than to pull up your hood for cover from the driving snow. Most hoods require you to unzip your jacket to get the hood over your helmet; they can also be hard to adjust and cut off too much peripheral vision. This hood is another feature that only a true skier could have designed, and FRS nailed it: one hand up and down, great peripheral vision, independent from the collar, and perfectly sized. It has adjustment tabs as well.
  • Pockets: The Antero has an external chest and two hand pockets. FRS uses the hand pocket material to create the internal stow pockets. There is also a zippered internal chest pocket but it's on the same side as the chest external pocket. My only wish is to move the internal chest pocket to the opposite side of the external chest pocket, which would make using both at the same time much more functional. Having stuff in both pockets makes the area too bulky. [note: On the medium tall Antero II Plus I received, the internal pouch pockets were not sealed the bottom. They are revising the design for the next run and may add a tall in the larges as well.]
  • Sleeve closures: I wear my sleeves over my glove gauntlets. These closures are designed with specific purpose: they are wide enough to easily go over the gloves and have a wide tab placed strategically where it is easy to use the opposite hand to open and close the velcro. They also double as venting when left loose to channel air up the sleeve.
Overall, this has become my go-to jacket. I really like the yellow color, and over many days the jacket has held up very well while being highly functional.

Click to see larger image

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up the Freeride Systems Antero II in jade green. During the ordering process, Kyle (@TheBestSkier) was a great help. He was quick to answer emails and definitely knows the products.

My "out of the box" impression was positive. The feel in-hand -- material, stitching, components -- was quality through and through. It's obvious the folks at FRS take pride in what they produce.

The softshell three-layer Polartec waterproof, breathable laminate fabric is comfortable and performs as advertised. A light fleece material similar in weight to Patagonia's R1 lines the jacket. I'm sure it adds a touch of warmth but not a ton. FRS says the temperature range for the Antero II is -7°F with layering to 50s with no layering. I believe them. I've worn the jacket in single digits up to the mid-40s. The best thing I can say is that I don't get too hot or too cold. The fabric breathes extremely well and combined with the pit zips, two-way front zipper, and adjustable cuffs, it is easy to get air moving when needed. (Click to expand pics below.)
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Ample storage is built into the Antero II. The jacket has three zippered outside pockets -- two side and a chest -- and four pouches plus a zip chest pocket on the inside. The pouch pockets have a weird shape, which I found odd at first. After using the pouches for a while now, the shape serves a purpose. My stuff stayed put even during a couple of epic crashes. (Click to expand pics below.)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Durability has not been an issue the few months I've had the Antero II -- tight trees, boulders, and bar stools are no match. The jacket is as windproof as any Arc'teryx, TNF, or Flylow I have, and it sheds snow like a boss. The designers did their homework with the hood and collar. The hood slides easily over my helmet even if my jacket is zipped. The adjustable collar acts as a face shield when needed. Drawstrings make customizing fit simple. Well played, FRS, well played.

Freeride Systems sizing seems to run large, and ordering a size down is a safe bet. I wear XL in other brands and find the FRS in L a perfect fit. The cut of my jacket is excellent. It's loose enough for comfortable non-binding layering but not so loose that I look like a rodeo clown.

Overall, Freeride Systems knows how to make a quality product well worth the $399 website price. The Antero II is an ideal resort or backcountry piece.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I want the Antero II in Belgium blue. If anyone see's one let me know. medium Tall. My guess is not going to happen. These are gaining in popularity quick

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOL,thats why i didn't wear it skiing in october :) You're always gonna be the handsome one though....

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm 6' with a 41.5' chest and 32" waist. I usually wear a Nano air mid layer beneath and thin base wicking layer. For me, the extra length is really ideal for more powdery environments. I also think longer lengths are great for those cold or wetter days on the lift to cover your butt.

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
So....I've put 2 full seasons on my Antero 2 (Belgium Blue...see my profile pic) and it is bomber. I ski in the trees (Magic and backcountry) on the east coast quite a bit. I managed to put a small hole in one sleeve thrashing through some spruces to get to a slide area in February 2015. A quick repair with seam seal and a gore-tex patch resolved that issue. Otherwise, it shows no wear and I skied 50 days in 14-15 and 30+ last year. Last fall, Michael sent me a deal I could not refuse so I also have an Antero 2+ in the same green as Ron. I wore it for 5 days of skiing at Taos last March with Bumpfreaq. I really liked it but I don't have nearly the mileage on it as I do with the blue one. If anybody is hesitant to buy because they are not sure of the durability and quality of Freeride Systems gear, rest assured, the gear is as durable as any piece I've ever had.Some people complain that the inside pouches don't hold wide skins but I always skin with a pack so this is not an issue for me.

I have to admit that I have a problem. I now have another Antero 2 in Black Cherry. I also have an early heavy jacket (not sure of the model name) that I bought when Michael had an insane 75% off sale on the 4th of July in 2013(?) - that was my first CFS jacket (it was Colorado Freeride Systems back in those days). Oh, and I also have 2 pairs of the work pants. Why? Because dollar for dollar, you will not find better quality, more functional gear. The fit comments are accurate...they run a little on the big size. I'm 6'0", 180-185 depending on beer intake, 42" chest, 33" waist and long (34.5" sleeve length) arms. My first 3 jackets are larges. I was gifted the 4th one and it is a medium. When it's cold, I wear a Pata Down Sweater or MHW Nitrous down midlayer...I appreciate the larges with the down layer. For fall and spring skiing, the medium will work fine. I can layer the down sweater under the medium but I like things a little looser.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After nearly two years in the Antero II, it is difficult to see signs of wear. This jacket is my go-to and sees approximately 40-50 days a season only taking days off in the early season and spring. The inside of the neck shows some discoloration from rubbing against my skin and whiskers. The soft-shell fabric isn’t pilling or fading, zippers work perfectly, and the jacket is weatherproof. Freeride Systems builds apparel to stand the test of time.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 6' with a 41.5' chest and 32" waist. I usually wear a Nano air mid layer beneath and thin base wicking layer. For me, the extra length is really ideal for more powdery environments. I also think longer lengths are great for those cold or wetter days on the lift to cover your butt.

@Ron......I'm looking for a new mid layer under my Freeride Antero2.......Do you think either of these would work? Patagonia Nano Airs seem to be what is most recommended. I have Patty nano puffs....but I've been interested in these Nano Airs for a few years now.

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-nano-air-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-nano-air-light-hybrid-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

I'm leaning toward the hybrid......but was wondering what the Freeride System Pugs thought would be a nice match as a mid layer??

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I like hooded midlayers because I often ditch my shell entrely when touring.

The Freeride Systems Bross 2.0 is the piece of gear I wear the most in my life. It is my go to mid-layer for anything down to 15F (under an Antero II Plus). Colder than that and I bump up to a nano air (or something with Polartec Alpha would be similar). I also wear it around the house on a near daily basis, hiking in shoulder seasons, lounging around campsites.

Its been so used and abused I'm onto my second and have added a Bross 3.0 which is a killer semi-mid, semi-outer layer.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like hooded midlayers because I often ditch my shell entrely when touring.

The Freeride Systems Bross 2.0 is the piece of gear I wear the most in my life. It is my go to mid-layer for anything down to 15F (under an Antero II Plus). Colder than that and I bump up to a nano air (or something with Polartec Alpha would be similar). I also wear it around the house on a near daily basis, hiking in shoulder seasons, lounging around campsites.

Its been so used and abused I'm onto my second and have added a Bross 3.0 which is a killer semi-mid, semi-outer layer.

Thanks @jmeb.....appreciate the reply.

I also have the Bross 2.0......and just ordered the "new" (TGR) one too. Its great, but just wear it around casually, never worn it under my Antero+....I guess I should try that first. I love the Freeride shell, but I'm needing to find the "right" midlayer to pair with it. Still might pick up a NanoAir anyway just as a backup for the cold EC days.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@BC. -- if nothing else, the Nano air is just an awesome layer. If you run or hike or snowshoe, it is a great high-intensity cold weather layer. It changed running in cold temps for me.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ron......I'm looking for a new mid layer under my Freeride Antero2.......Do you think either of these would work? Patagonia Nano Airs seem to be what is most recommended. I have Patty nano puffs....but I've been interested in these Nano Airs for a few years now.

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-nano-air-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-nano-air-light-hybrid-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

I'm leaning toward the hybrid......but was wondering what the Freeride System Pugs thought would be a nice match as a mid layer??

The nano air has been my go-to favorite mid for the past 3 years. I can wear that with a 150 Smartwool merino base for down to 15-20* or a 250 Smartwool down to 10* and be comfortable.

Hoodies are good, you can always roll it up.

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
I wear a variety of mid-layers depending on the temps. If it's really cold (0 and below) I wear a Patagonia down sweater. For 25 above down to 0, I genrally wear a North Face ThermoBall (probably similar to the nano-air). Above 25 I generally use the Bross 2.0. It's also my go-to for hiking up in temps above 10 degrees with my jacket in my pack (I run really hot going up). If it fits, it will work.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: Ron