• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Freeride Systems Antero II Plus

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As testers and reviewers, we have been in talks with Freeride Systems since the only product offered was its hiking harnesses. Eventually, many of our testers started using and swearing by their jackets, including @Ron and @Drahtguy Kevin. Since two of our most experienced and discerning testers had already purchased their jackets, Freeride Systems and @TheBestSkier suggested that we add them to our test fleet of clothing.

15825802_10157853682860018_8034595517613248631_n.jpg

Like Ron in this thread, I am testing the Antero II Plus. What initially impressed me was the high quality of materials that FRS is able to source for the jackets. I also like that the jackets are not built in China or even Canada but right in Colorado, Leadville to be exact. Building top-notch product here in the states is usually an either/or situation, but with Freeride Systems, you get both. I also like the fact that when we looked at the jackets Kyle listed, he listened to us in person, and he is listening to the women of the community in this thread, a daunting task.

When I was skiing with another member, he commented that the coat didn't fit like my Descente Haines jacket, which indeed is one of my favorites -- but it is a four-way stretch that retails for $850, more than twice the $419 Freeride Systems jacket (before the 20% Pugski discount). Is the Descente nicer? Sure. Does it fit better? Well, it fits different. It is just that, fitted. The Antero II Plus fits just as well but is more relaxed. The name of the company is Freeride Systems, and that's what the jacket is: a freeride jacket.

Design is very good. I really like the way the jacket drapes on me. The cuffs work great over my LEKI gloves or under my Hestra Heli lobsters. Pocket placement is very functional, but I will say that the floating internal breast pocket kind of throws me off: more than once, I have tried to put something into it from the top, only to have it fall to the ground. I understand the purpose; it is just a design feature I wasn't expecting. I do agree with the women about adding a pass pocket on the sleeve.

I have about a half-dozen days with the Antero II Plus and today was the first time the jacket was put to any type of test. The weather was a 35° rainy day at Northstar, a rain that can penetrate all but the best of materials. The Antero withstood a test that I really didn't want to put it up to, but I did what I had to do and skied in the rain. Under the jacket, I was wearing FRS's 200-weight fleece, which stayed bone dry. My Gore-Tex pants didn't fare as well; they absorbed some moisture and I felt it starting to come through after about two hours of skiing.

I will continue reporting back in this thread as I get the jacket out more and in other conditions.​

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was looking for this review to add to it and realized it was still sitting on @SBrown's desk in the done pile. Shame on mem my bad. The original review was written in early December and I have had a chance to use the jacket alomst every day on snow since. Not much was missed in that time because quite frankly there was not much difference in weather/condtions I was skiing the jacket...until this past week when all the white dropped from the heavens here in Tahoe.

The vast amount of Snow snow snow put myself and Anterro II in the weather and conditions it was designed for, so how did it hold up and perform? Well while skiing in the snow that was coming down..inches an hour, I was still dryer than a fresh box of matzos. The guys here did their job bringing the community a performance jacket at an affordable price. I still really like the way the jacket fits and feels but the only short coming I have come across is the hood but I want to play with it some more and try with some different helmets before I come to a conclusion.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
still lovin' mine. can you comment on the hood issue? I love how mine functions.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Riding the lift yesterday someone commented on the jacket and said "Boy, we aren't going to miss you out there" and it made me think thatI haven't checked in to this thread to update in a while. Yes, we finally got some stormy weather here and I got to put the Antero through its paces in an environment that suits it. Fit is perfect, I really like how the jacker fits no matter what I wear under it, whether a 600 Marmot puffy or the 200 Freeride Systems vest. The hood is the only weak link I have come by, the elastic cinch doesn't feel on par with quality as the rest of the jacket and it doesn't stay over the helmet unless the jacket is zipped al the way up. This isn't huge for me and not a total turn off because I tend not to wear a hood unless it is really storming and at their price point, I am OK with it.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yeah, I wouldnt have my hood up unless the jacket is zipped. i will see about this on my 2+. Never noticed any issues.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really wish I could try one of these on. I'm really tempted but fear getting a size big enough for my hips will result in shoulders and arms that look like a sack like my old coaching jackets in men's sizing did. Unfortunately, being single I just don't have a good way to get accurate upper body measurements without weirdly asking my colleagues or someone at the gym.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January