• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Btw, in regards to the waterproofing of new FTP gloves, this is what FTP wrote to me:

“Regarding leather treatment, the gloves are good to go out of the box, though applying conditioner will further enhance water resistance. Anecdotally, several of our field testers also prefer an initial treatment as they feel it creates a more "grippy" feeling, enhancing dexterity. So the short answer: while they're fine until they've been exposed to the wet/dry cycle a bit, there's no harm in getting a jump on it.”

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I've been playing with my gloves again (and yes, I can't believe I'm still spending time on a minor thing like liner gloves - and I'm shocked at you all as well! :D)...

And I think maybe I can pull the liner just a little to get it out past the cuff and let me get a grip with my gloved hand to pull them on and hold the liner in place. I'll have to try it next time I ski and see how it goes. (Of course, at this point with mid-A weather, I don't know when that next time will be.)

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Free The Powder gloves ... purchased them 2 years ago, when they were so heavily pushed on a ski forum ("the best glove for the price", "super quality", etc.) that I would not name ... And as with many "impulsive" purchases - I put them together with my collection of other ski gloves that ended up in this pile for exactly the same reason ! They all wait for their turn and .. Free the Powder turn finally came , I carefully pull them out of the pile (even if not used - they were carefully treated with "the sauce") and at the first pull of the gloves over ... THEY BREAK !!! Seams where velcro piece attaches to the glove just came apart ...

And to make this short - these are not worth the money spent on them !!!

Pictures to follow ...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Free The Powder gloves ... purchased them 2 years ago, when they were so heavily pushed on a ski forum ("the best glove for the price", "super quality", etc.) that I would not name ... And as with many "impulsive" purchases - I put them together with my collection of other ski gloves that ended up in this pile for exactly the same reason ! They all wait for their turn and .. Free the Powder turn finally came , I carefully pull them out of the pile (even if not used - they were carefully treated with "the sauce") and at the first pull of the gloves over ... THEY BREAK !!! Seams where velcro piece attaches to the glove just came apart ...

And to make this short - these are not worth the money spent on them !!!

Pictures to follow ...

If you contacted Shannon about your issue,.....I bet they would of replaced or refunded you back your money. Their customer service is top notch.

The love for FTP is because for the price they are a great option. They are half the price of Hestras.....and for most reviewers just as warm, dexterous, etc......

I actually have a pair of Hestras in my glove quiver.....but I seem to always grab my FTP’s. I think both companies are great and make quality products.

All products have the chance to not perform/break, etc. Give customer service a chance to make it right before you bash them online. If their customer service sucks and they treat you like a jerk.....then bash away....lol

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I am not talking about their customer service ... I am talking about their product.

And it is not good as advertised.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I have a couple pair of FTP. Good gloves! (and mitts)

But bang for the buck, day in and day out on the mountain, KINKOs work just fine. Get the knit cuff version ;-)

The waterproofing that is like "mink oil" or petroleum jelly really cuts into the warmth factor of any hand wear when dry. The grease fills the pores in the leather.
But if your gloves are getting wet, anything that keeps the water off is better. The waxy stuff is the stuff to use!

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I "don't', but I always have a spare dry pair of gloves or mitts to put on.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
If you contacted Shannon about your issue,.....I bet they would of replaced or refunded you back your money. Their customer service is top notch.

The love for FTP is because for the price they are a great option. They are half the price of Hestras.....and for most reviewers just as warm, dexterous, etc......

I actually have a pair of Hestras in my glove quiver.....but I seem to always grab my FTP’s. I think both companies are great and make quality products.

All products have the chance to not perform/break, etc. Give customer service a chance to make it right before you bash them online. If their customer service sucks and they treat you like a jerk.....then bash away....lol

Hestra and FTP ... ?

I do not think so - long, long way to go.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Anecdote is not evidence. Sample of one, and all that.

I've not experienced pulled stitches in the FTP gloves and mitts. Lucky I suppose.

Well, I did and I do not care about "sample of one" BS ...

I bought the product and I am expressing my consumer opinion that it is not as good as advertised ...

It works for you - not for me !

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anecdote is not evidence. Sample of one, and all that.

I've not experienced pulled stitches in the FTP gloves and mitts. Lucky I suppose.

I’ve been lucky also and have not had any stitching issues with FTP mitts or gloves

Reactions: BC.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
U

I bought the product and I am expressing my consumer opinion that it is not as good as advertised ...

I have 2 pair of FTP and have not had any problems at all. I also have a pair of Hestras that I really like - but they are my 2nd pair. I had similar issues as you with my first pair of Hestras. They took care of me and I have not had any issues with the second pair. Every product has a bad one out there ... we were the lucky ones to get them I suppose. I still think Hestras are fantastic - I just got a bad pair the first time. An anomaly for sure but it happens.

Reactions: BC.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

Worked great for me. Have had a pair for three seasons and they're just now showing wear and tear and a seam starting to split, but still keep my hands warm. Will look to buy another pair soon.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Did not work well for me - therefore, my opinion says - NG

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's fine, if you're not open to advice from people to change your opinion that's fine.
Not everyone post is directly at you nor is it telling you to change your mind. It is just presenting ideas and their Opinions for other readers on what they would do in your situation. Maybe others want to do things differently than what you do, that's OK.
So you don't want to buy FTP gloves, we get it. Others may still want to buy it.

Sponsor

Staff online