• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frame Swap

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'll second Tuna..if you want a project, it's great. Just don't be in a hurry and ask for help before you break stuff. Double check the rear drop-out spacing to ensure the hubs are swappable. He pointed out the seatpost, fr der, BB and headset issues..these are common in most swaps and are always a problem. Careful with the headset, let a pro do it if you're unsure. Nothing wrong with like Ti..who cares what drives us..have fun!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And remember the standard rule of bicycle mechanics...... There are no standards. Everything may be different, and probably will be. EBay is a wonderful source for parts, especially hard to find , and NOS.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I do like the idea of a used Ti bike, but, buying a frame and retrofit with used parts can be a PITA. My now retired Trek 2.3 started with a replacement new frame from Trek, and, the build out with mix of new & old was pricey. Looking back, I would have sold the frame and bought a new complete bike.

Back to Ti bikes, I looked at Philly Craigslist and was amazed about how many complete Ti bikes were available at prices far less than $2k. Frame should last forever, the original owners took a major hit in depredation with the development of carbon frames. the Ti window as a prime race bike was very short. As they were high end frames, the components generally match the frame quality. I did test ride a used LeMond Ti and gave it some serious thought but it did not have compact cranks I need for climbing. I'd have no qualms about older Dura Ace or Ultegra group set especially if speed to follow TT bike is a prime need. The larger chainring of a traditional crank set is better suited for speed.

There is a special place in my heart for those who ride more of the classic frame like TI or steel. That said, my new ride, a BMC Grand Frodo, recently purchased from @Ron would do an excellent job to chase a TT or do gravel. Some tire modifications would be required, but, if your aerobic system and legs are good, riding in the low 20's is doable.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the demise of Ti is grossly overstated! Moots, Erikson, Why Cycles and others are all alive and very well. I love Carbon but there is no denying the feel of a well-built and high quality Ti tubing frame. Its like a stockli, Silky smooth. The key to a good Ti frame is of course the quality and thickness of Ti but also designing it so its vertically compliant but laterally stiff enough. Of course, Ti is not going to be as light as a quality carbon frame but I'll take the pound (I the case of the Emonda, its 3 pounds) penalty for that feel. Some days I just prefer the Moots over the Trek just depending on the ride. on our gravel rides, really hard packed dirt roads, it smooths out the vibrations so well. I own a Moots Routt (Steamboat is in Routt County) which is known around here as the Steamboat Road bike since it is at home on the chip n seal and gravel ride. Both Erikson and Moots still have lead times on production due to heavy demand,

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of Titanium...This Litespeed has been on our local next door site for months...originally listed for $200 and since it didn't sell for that, is now $800.

ae945362ab457f7798176369366a10e6.PNG.max600.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Speaking of Titanium...This Litespeed has been on our local next door site for months...originally listed for $200 and since it didn't sell for that, is now $800.

I've done that - make the purchaser pay for my selling effort - but I didn't just play the listing game, I put on nicer wheelsets and tires and things as they became available from nicer bikes.

TS
surfacehoar

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
So this is my starting point:

S-works e5 from 2005(?) Dura-ace group set, dura-ace shift levers, ultegra brakes, mavic rims. 19lbs, $500CDN
3568319-1-1.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a good finish point too. Put on some pedals, pump up the tires , and you're riding this afternoon!!

TS
surfacehoar

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm excited to take it for a real ride. We are covered in hazardous levels of wildfire smoke right now, so i've just done a couple 5km easy loops making fit adjustments. Red means it's fast right?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm excited to take it for a real ride. We are covered in hazardous levels of wildfire smoke right now, so i've just done a couple 5km easy loops making fit adjustments. Red means it's fast right?

Sure...so long as you're not me ;)

Seriously, my '05 Tarmac was the slowest bike on a downhill I ever owned, even with a 5cm saddle-bar drop. 4-5mph slower on the same hill than my 90s Paramount with level saddle and bars.

Anyhow, good starter value, go go go.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the women’s version of the Defy Advanced 2 (in Giant land bikes get better as the number goes down) and really like it. Just under $2k and you get a better component set.

The Avail Advanced 2? I just got one for my wife, she loves it, and I'm now jealous of her bike.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid