• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frame Swap

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I want to get a road bike so I can tag along with my gf on her Ironman training rides. I need a decent bike, but not anything crazy. I expect that I will keep this bike for a long time so I do want some quality parts. My hopes are to buy an outdated used bike with high end components(of the time) and then upgrade as I see fit.

My thoughts so far are:

This Frame: Lynskey Ti R350
Part Bike: Specialized S work Allez

I can't seem to find any spec sheets that will confirm that the crank, wheels, and fork are transferable. I'm sure there will be some compatibility issues. Looking for some help here.

I'm like to keep the budget down around $2k.

I'm sure the Specialized would be a fine bike on it's own, but I'm not a fan of the red frame and like the idea of Titanium. Other things on my wish list are to have true hydraulic brakes, which I know won't be compatible with either frame. Tires that are probably a little wider 30-40mm (which won't fit) so I can ride gravel road. I'd like to drop the front derailleur and have a 1-10 drivetrain (which is a mistake).

Steer me right Bike Guru's.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it was me, I think I'd just get the Specialized, as long as its the right size, and go riding. Pocket the money you save and buy new skis! Its got nice components, Duraace and Mavic rims.
I don't know if its just the pictures , but the head tube angle on the Lynskey looks pretty steep. You may not enjoy the ride as much as the Allez.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I completely applaud the thought of building up the Lynskey but I seriously think you have two different projects there - a road training bike and a gravel bike.

If your gf is serious about Ironman, I will assume she is riding at at least a BB pace, and she is aero. What you want, therefore, is an aero road bike that fits you. And you want to ride a lot. Simply put, you will not have time or legs or butt to think about gravel. That Spesh could be a starting point but you're looking at slamming the stem, changing out the wheels and ...hopefully coming out with something rideable at the other end.

If you want a gravel bike, then do that. You're very well advised to go with @Philpug's suggestion and do a turnkey bike. Don't expect to go with your gf except on slow recovery rides.

It is my understanding Shimano tends to just shift their old technology into the lower end part as the years progress so don't think it's the same as a current Dura Ace. I'd guess a 2008 Dura Ace groupo is probably close to today's Ultegra or maybe even 105.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-6800.html

There's a bit more to it - for example he needs disc-capable shifters which those will not be.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a bit more to it - for example he needs disc-capable shifters which those will not be.

I don't know enough to get into those details. :D Just thought I'd point out that paying for 2008 Dura Ace isn't going to be as good as one might think compared today's technology.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just thought I'd point out that paying for 2008 Dura Ace isn't going to be as good as one might think compared today's technology.

Eh. If he stops trying to mix everything in one salad bowl, then he can have both really.

Nothing wrong with old DA and it's easy to adjust and parts are cross-compatible, and there's gobs of $cheapandawesome rim-brake bikes out there going begging for riders.

He can also have modern gravel tech, with a comfortable enduro riding position, a hefty but springy fork, a clutch rear derailleur and a pie plate rear cog, without having to sweat through the details. But they won't be the same bike.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I would take 2018 Tiagra > 2008 Dura Ace.

You can get a lot of bike for $2k. Not titanium, but great alloy or even potentially carbon. Ti is cool, but it doesn't really have noticeable performance benefits beyond cache. And I say that as a ti owner.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
old dura ace or not, the allez is $750 CAD, which is like $500 usd. Buy it, ride it, spend the saved time and money looking at pinkbike or someplace for a complete bike. Or maybe 2

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I get hives thinking about transferring crappy old parts from one frame to a used or new other frame..so much chance for failure for the average folk..

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Get a Giant Defy Advanced 3? It's got hydraulic discs, thru-axle's, tubeless wheels, carbon frame, and only a few hundred more bucks than the two you posted, and it's modern, and new, and has a lifetime frame warranty?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Get a Giant Defy Advanced 3? It's got hydraulic discs, thru-axle's, tubeless wheels, carbon frame, and only a few hundred more bucks than the two you posted, and it's modern, and new, and has a lifetime frame warranty?
Yeah, it's a false economy to throw old stuff together unless you're itching for a project that will frustrate you..and add up in price..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone else wondering why the Spesh has a new fork?

Yeah, it's a false economy to throw old stuff together unless you're itching for a project that will frustrate you..and add up in price..

Know who's really, really bad about that?

Triathletes. Especially the ones that add the extra 'a' in Craigslist ads, thus: 'triathalon'

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have the women’s version of the Defy Advanced 2 (in Giant land bikes get better as the number goes down) and really like it. Just under $2k and you get a better component set.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 ultegra used in 2016 off Craigslist for less than $1K. This year picked up another 2014 Roubaix w/ dura ace for less than the first one for my daughter. Both haven't needed any tuning.

I usually put 60+ miles a month during dry N CA months, so my bike isn't sitting idle, nor is it totally trashed.

Budget around $1200 for a used turn key of less than 4 years, and I bet you'll walk away with money left over. The drive train will likely to be only in the 1st third of it's (8-10k miles) life - unless someone stomped/crunched the rear cassette. In my area, there's more wanna be riders than...

Hope that Helps.

TS
surfacehoar

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I'm not scared of a project and I do understand that it's more economical to buy a complete bike.

I'm set on a Ti frame, because everyone and their dog rides carbon plus I like the look of the matt unfinished metal. There are a couple complete bikes on eBay and Pink Bike that I'm watching. Seems like anything that's sized right, is well over budget.

As for speed and keeping up. My Gf does a Time trial, hill climb and a long distance ride weekly. The hill climb and time trial are timed with a staggered start. So I'd only be riding with her on her long distance rides. She carries an average speed of 33 km/h during her time trial. I mostly ride enduro style although about a month ago I road a flat 80km gravel trail that had multiple water crossings averaging 20km/h on my xc bike. Which makes me think that on pavement and with a fast bike, I'll be able to keep pace.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you're cool with the work, go for it. You will still need to train up on the speed front :D

I suspect both head tubes will be sized for 1 1/8 straight but I don't know. That replacement fork is a bit of a questionmark. A new headset is probably a good idea. I suspect you will need a BB30 to English adapter, because Specialized. The two other questionable-fit items are going to be FD clamp and seatpost, both of which will be cheap to source elsewhere.

Sponsor

Staff online