• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Four Door Mustang?!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's Car and Driver's article and mock-up of the rumored car... they talk about it possibly moving upmarket to compete with Audi and Porsche.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-mustang-four-door-sedan

ford-mustang-4door-newlead-1541533216.jpg

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's Car and Driver's article and mock-up of the rumored car... they talk about it possibly moving upmarket to compete with Audi and Porsche.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-mustang-four-door-sedan

ford-mustang-4door-newlead-1541533216.jpg
So the took the old taurus and stuck a mustang grill on it? I would think that they were doing it to compete with the dodge charger. Although they have a lot of work to do if that's their goal. Wife had a charger gt loaner car, 300hp awd v6 and that is the small engine :)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why? If it's not a false rumor, then I say Ford is a company looking for an identity, apparently. They recently had a press release that they were killing off all cars except the Mustang and maybe the Focus and concentrating on trucks and SUVs because that's were the market is. For them to kill the Fusion and Taurus and then turn around and come out with a 4 door stang? Really? And competing with the high end Euros? Now that's a joke.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They recently had a press release that they were killing off all cars except the Mustang and maybe the Focus and concentrating on trucks and SUVs because that's were the market is.

Not really... that release said they were killing off gas-powered cars, except for the Mustang. The implication, I think, was that they are moving toward more hybrid and electric cars.

In any case, it's the same marketing argument, probably, that gets us the Porsche Panamera. Legendary 2-door brand moving into a new market space.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really... that release said they were killing off gas-powered cars, except for the Mustang. The implication, I think, was that they are moving toward more hybrid and electric cars.

In any case, it's the same marketing argument, probably, that gets us the Porsche Panamera. Legendary 2-door brand moving into a new market space.

Okay, I'm going by what was widely reported last spring, e.g: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-ford-car-models-20180425-story.html

Maybe you have better info.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
With Ford preparing to cut their car lines down to the Mustang and the Focus having a 4 door kind of makes sense. It would help to fill a hoe in the line.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you have better info.

No, I don't have better info... some of the earlier articles seemed to imply that. Looking at a couple of them again now, it does seem like they are ditching cars for the most part.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With Ford preparing to cut their car lines down to the Mustang and the Focus having a 4 door kind of makes sense. It would help to fill a hoe in the line.

Yeah, a hole they dug themselves and now want to fill with a non starter. The Mustang sells because it's a pony muscle car, and with the current edition of it they finally got the retro feel dialed to the modern car enough to sell a bunch to the boomers that longed for the 67 fastback they never had. If they want a sedan, or saloon, keep the Fusion, just make it sportier. I personally don't see any gen-xers or millennials buying any of the muscle car remakes. So Ford is going to retool the stang to capture the very few boomers that think it'd be cool to have a 4 door stang? Like I said up post, Ford is in an identity crises. At least Chevy had the sense, when they brought back the Impala in the 90's to not bring back a 2 door, much to the chagrin of a lot of boomers that grew up with 2 door SSes in the 60's, and then they had the sense to kill off the 90's Impala remake all together because, hey it just wasn't an Impala, really. My prediction is Ford will waste a lot of money on this and wind up killing the whole Mustang line when it's in the red.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the took the old taurus and stuck a mustang grill on it?

All rumors at this point, but I think no on using the FWD Taurus chassis. More likely a Mustang chassis with a wheelbase stretch.

My feelings exactly.....and why? So you still want your sport car, but you've got 2 kids...i

Or you like fun, torquey, RWD cars, but hardly ever go anywhere without your dog or a bike in the back! Shoot, I'd buy a Magnum wagon if Dodge ever brought that back (and fixed the stupid rear hatch design).

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
All rumors at this point, but I think no on using the FWD Taurus chassis. More likely a Mustang chassis with a wheelbase stretch.

).
It was more a comment on how ugly that thing is. But I'm not a fan of anything ford is builing these days.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right now the Mustang is getting the attention for Ford so it is not surprising that they would want to build on it and make it a series of cars. If this happens and is even close to a sales success, do not be surprised to see a CUV version come down the line.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Great! Next thing you know chevy will have a 4 door Camaro

I wouldn't worry about that overmuch: Chevy are still patting themselves on their collective backs over winning the Thunderbird/Corvette battle, and they know very well that keeping the vette 2 door was the reason they won.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
*cough*Kia Stinger*cough*

I mean sure, it's not a V8 but that is a potent turbo 6

By all accounts, a great, or near-great car. Sadly, not available in the Columbia River Gorge, and I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to Gotham (Portland) for the next car......

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid