• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.28.03 PM.png
It is with heavy heart that Phil and I have to post this article.
Dave Goode was one of the first people to reach out to us when we launched Pugski in 2015, and someone we always had meetings with at SIA/OR.
It will be odd to not see him in Denver this year. :(
I have Goode poles in my quiver, as do many of you.

Will update this as information becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So sad. Dave was a brilliant innovator.
His snow skis redefined lightweight performance. Best poles ever. A skilled racer as well.
His waterskis were at the top of every podium. His skiing prowess earned his share of high stakes podiums. His vest allows me to keep skiing despite my back problems. His support of tournament waterskiing was unmatched.
He was a skilled pilot taking delivery of one of the first Cessna Mustang jets.
He was a good friend. The world will miss him. Our lives are richer because of him.

Eric

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So sad. Dave was a brilliant innovator. His snow skis redefined lightweight performance. Best poles ever. His waterskis were at the top of every podium. His support of tournament waterskiing was unmatched. He was a skilled pilot taking delivery of one of the first Cessna Mustang jets. He was a good friend. The world will miss him. Our lives are richer because of him.

Eric
You know, while I was posting this I was thinking about how much he talked about his waterskis more than his snow skis, and was going to add something about that.
I'm betting the water ski crew on this site will be impacted in a profound way.
Starting with you, @Dwight @4ster ......

He was a very good man with an incredible mind.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad to hear. Honestly thought he was far older given how long I've heard his names and products.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Very sad. I posted a short while ago in another thread about how I had a great experience getting replacement pole grips from the Goode factory and a mini factory tour a few days before the Utah Gathering a couple of seasons ago.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This hits pretty close to home. While I did not know him well, a dear friend of mine (ours) worked for Dave for 20+ years and was tuning skis at the Goode facility yesterday afternoon when this happened. His plane crashed into a former neighbors townhouse that they now rent out. We saw Dave and his wife very frequently on the mountain here. I have a lot of friends who ski on Goode skis. And yes, he did turn his focus to the water ski side of things in recent years, but his skis are still out there and loved by many, and Goode poles are popular here, too.

This definitely sending shockwaves through the ski community here. I hope that the love and support his family will receive from the community here will help ease the pain of their loss a bit.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This hits pretty close to home. While I did not know him well, a dear friend of mine (ours) worked for Dave for 20+ years and was tuning skis at the Goode facility yesterday afternoon when this happened. His plane crashed into a former neighbors townhouse that they now rent out. We saw Dave and his wife very frequently on the mountain here. I have a lot of friends who ski on Goode skis. And yes, he did turn his focus to the water ski side of things in recent years, but his skis are still out there and loved by many, and Goode poles are popular here, too.

This definitely sending shockwaves through the ski community here. I hope that the love and support his family will receive from the community here will help ease the pain of their loss a bit.
Thank you for sending me the link to the article.
When you sent it, we were having dinner with @Bob Barnes and some of his clients at Squaw. I glanced at my phone and thought I'd read it thoroughly later, but noticed the image in the link that looked like Dave, so I opened it and was in shock, so much so that I interrupted the conversation and told about it. Everyone at the table was stricken with sadness and Bob started telling stories about his experiences with Goode products.
This death will be felt deeply in the ski community, but even more so in the community around you.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I
You know, while I was posting this I was thinking about how much he talked about his waterskis more than his snow skis, and was going to add something about that.
I'm betting the water ski crew on this site will be impacted in a profound way.
Starting with you, @Dwight @4ster ......

He was a very good man with an incredible mind.

I am in shock, such tragic news :( . I just rode the lift with Dave & Dawn on Monday & had a nice chat about skiing, racing & MTBing. The world will be at a loss without my mad scientist friend. RIP Dave.
B7CC5BF6-C20D-4A05-96AC-8FD604432584.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow. huge loss for the industry. Prayers for his family and friends.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dave was one of the people instrumental in bringing the ski industry to Ogden. Goode Skis was one of the first brands to come to Ogden.
To this point, back in 2008 when I was working with Hart, then Ogden Mayor Matt Godfrey invited us to tour Odgen in hopes to bring Hart's headquarters to Ogden. Dave Goode was one of the ambassadors of the city that gave me a tour of Snowbasin's private locker rooms, the mountain and all of the inner workings.

I was very good friends with our Goode rep when I was as back east. I remember when Goode was first coming with their ski line..the first ones were so bad, LOL. Every year, Pete would "Oh, you have to get on the new ones, they are sooo much better..." Yes, they were better, but incrementally. As the years went on, they did evolve into a pretty good line.

Dave was a high level masters racer and would talk about making a ski on a Thursday and winning on that specific ski that weekend. There are more stories i have about Dave and Goode Ski Technologies that I will be adding as they come to me.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear. Pioneer in both ski arenas. Goode skis are being used by the top slalom water skiers today too.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
And yes, he did turn his focus to the water ski side of things in recent years,
Sorry, I have to chuckle at this since I've been on both sides of the skiing fence. Water first and then snow.

He is being remembered strongly from both groups of people. Pretty unique individual to be so prolific in both sports for decades.
Goode has a cool internship program dealing with both sports too.

Wished I would of met him.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Sorry to hear of this loss. Condolences to his family.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to hear. Pioneer in both ski arenas. Goode skis are being used by the top slalom water skiers today too.
IIRC his waterski enthusiasm came back when he was based in Michigan, long before he was in snow sports. There were/are several boat manufacturers in Michigan as well as many lakes that are water ski havens. I used to live in the town with 4-Winns boat company and often did work for the Winn family.

We had a ski boat and a Goode slalom ski.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Think I probably stood behind Dave in a line on one of the 2 occasions I skied Snowbasin, given there was a guy talking about the new skis he'd just pressed up and they looked like Goodes. Sorry for everyone's loss.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January