• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, very sorry to hear.
Did he make the first carbon fiber ski?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I have to chuckle at this since I've been on both sides of the skiing fence. Water first and then snow.

He is being remembered strongly from both groups of people. Pretty unique individual to be so prolific in both sports for decades.
Goode has a cool internship program dealing with both sports too.

Wished I would of met him.
Oh, absolutely being remembered very fondly by both groups! We skied with one of the interns last season, or might have been two seasons ago, I can't remember.

Pretty somber talking to folks up at the mountain today.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you for sending me the link to the article.
When you sent it, we were having dinner with @Bob Barnes and some of his clients at Squaw. I glanced at my phone and thought I'd read it thoroughly later, but noticed the image in the link that looked like Dave, so I opened it and was in shock, so much so that I interrupted the conversation and told about it. Everyone at the table was stricken with sadness and Bob started telling stories about his experiences with Goode products.
This death will be felt deeply in the ski community, but even more so in the community around you.

Bob’s at Squaw now? Where have I been?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very sad news. I still use my pair of Goody carbon poles I purchased about 25 years ago; great poles.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember when Dave was actively sending my team the first of his carbon fiber ski poles back in 1990. He wanted to prove to the world that carbon poles could go toe-to-toe with aluminum poles in the alpine racing circuit. Those first poles didn't fare well with gate impact, but that didn't deter Dave: he upped his game, re-engineered the poles, sent new ones out, and they were bulletproof. Goode's carbon poles inspired bigger players to enter the alpine racing pole game, including Swix, Scott, and Komperdell (among others).

He had a big heart and a great sense of humor - especially in dealing with teenagers who beat the crap out of their gear. He will be missed.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He's the father of my childhood friend who I grew up skiing with back in Michigan, definitely a heavy heart learning the absolutely awful news today.
Big hugs to you and your childhood friend.
:(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bob’s at Squaw now? Where have I been?
Sidetrack* - only for a week while a client has him skiing with his family on vacation.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember when Dave was actively sending my team the first of his carbon fiber ski poles back in 1990. He wanted to prove to the world that carbon poles could go toe-to-toe with aluminum poles in the alpine racing circuit. Those first poles didn't fare well with gate impact, but that didn't deter Dave: he upped his game, re-engineered the poles, sent new ones out, and they were bulletproof. Goode's carbon poles inspired bigger players to enter the alpine racing pole game, including Swix, Scott, and Komperdell (among others).

He had a big heart and a great sense of humor - especially in dealing with teenagers who beat the crap out of their gear. He will be missed.
When I read stories like this I'm saddened by the loss of his great innovation but also encourage by the the idea that we will enjoy his brilliant mind and its inspired innovation for years to come.
Than you Dave

winkdc

Booting up
Skier
Very sad news. I still use my pair of Goody carbon poles I purchased about 25 years ago; great poles.
agree...very sad...I think mine are 30 yo...hadn't been used fo 20 years and held up fine earlier this year. Great product.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
IIRC his waterski enthusiasm came back when he was based in Michigan, long before he was in snow sports. There were/are several boat manufacturers in Michigan as well as many lakes that are water ski havens. I used to live in the town with 4-Winns boat company and often did work for the Winn family.

We had a ski boat and a Goode slalom ski.

I first met Dave at the local waterski tournaments in SE Michigan. He was building his first waterskis as a teen. Always an innovator and great guy. Godspeed Dave.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really sad to hear. Condolences to those here who knew him. I picked up my first pair of Goode poles last year.

DW1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Condolences to the Goode family. Dave was truly a great innovator for ski sports. His 9100 water ski raised the bar by a mile when first introduced and his poles are as noted, top notch. His list of innovations is amazing but most of all, his dedication to the sport was unmatched, always approachable and willing to talk 'shop' with all. Always great to talk to. RIP.

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
What a tragic loss, I'm still in shock! Dave Goode was a true innovator and his support of water and snow skiing was a example for others to follow. My thoughts and prayers go out to Dawn and the rest of the Goode family, also the many employees who have lost their leader. Living in Utah I saw first hand his involvement in water skiing and was able to talk to him on many occasions about the sport we both love. Reading and listening to all of the news reports here in Utah about the crash it is obvious that the crash was some type of mechanical or engine failure and not pilot error. RIP Dave Goode!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shared a lift ride with him a few times. First class guy. Will be missed, more than I know, for sure.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ Thanks for sharing that! It's been an emotional time for everyone, as you can imagine. I urge all of our Pugskier's to start following Goode Skis on FB and Instagram. I know that the plan is for a large celebration of life/memorial later this winter.

And #skifordave !!!

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
Received this email yesterday from Goode Ski Technologies.

If you are among the thousands whose lives were touched in some way by Dave, you are invited to a Celebration of Life event, March 14, 2020, at Snowbasin Resort in Huntsville, Utah.

While the official event will take place in the lodge from 5 to 8 p.m., please consider spending the entire day skiing, riding the gondola and socializing at Dave's beloved home mountain.

Additional details are to follow, including RSVP information.

Thank you for all the support you have provided me over the last week and I look forward to seeing many of you on March 14th.

Sincerely,

Dawn Goode

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Received this email yesterday from Goode Ski Technologies.

If you are among the thousands whose lives were touched in some way by Dave, you are invited to a Celebration of Life event, March 14, 2020, at Snowbasin Resort in Huntsville, Utah.

While the official event will take place in the lodge from 5 to 8 p.m., please consider spending the entire day skiing, riding the gondola and socializing at Dave's beloved home mountain.

Additional details are to follow, including RSVP information.

Thank you for all the support you have provided me over the last week and I look forward to seeing many of you on March 14th.

Sincerely,

Dawn Goode
We'll be there.

Sponsor