• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Forward Pressure Adjustment on 1970's Rotomat's

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
While we are enjoying the early Marker equipment I just wanted to throw these in the mix.
With the other stuff above, these really show where Marker was headed in the 60's!

The Marker Cober heels
Marker  Automatic Cober Reaktor.jpg

Marker Cober heel.jpg

And this interesting Cable system with a releasable 'Rotomat' mechanism

Marker cables.jpg

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Bill I'm working on the animation portion of just what your asking. This isn't part of my "normal" approach because most people are looking for 2D documents or STL/CAM out put. You'll see some time tomorrow the Marker Automatic and LDS non-releasing heel...and I played today with at least staging the toe release. So I'm taking to heart your suggestion and trying to build the skills. Phil as talked to me about such a linkage and I'm all for it. Also somewhere in the "stew" is the possibility of having Seth Masia share some of his words of historical wisdom to align with each manufacture.

thank you for the support and kind words....Oh by the way you got started earlier than me I started skiing in October of 1970 at Loveland.

RickyG

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bill wonderful stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just took apart the early Nevada toe I have to model it and put together my first hybrid Look 1 toe and Rotomat Heel. Those pictures of the Look Nevada turn-table open up another modeling possibility. Today when I finish the modeling portion of the Marker Automatic & LDS heel (you know my unit shows no metal attachment point on one side)...do any of you know the correct model name for this one?

RickyG
Don’t know the name. We just called them turntables. I skied this heel in the mid ‘60’s. You’d wrap the long thong with the latch open and then close the latch relying on the stretch of the leather to get you the correct forward pressure. Tighter was better as best I could tell. Mounted on a pair of VR7’s (not 17’s) and a pair of custom Heierling 5 buckle leather boots ($125) with the red/white/blue chevrons up the back. Quite the badass kit in its day.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
These are older than 1970's

Amen!

I wanted to illustrate the comment someone made about very early Marker toes depending only on the centering spring. In fact (unless there are even earlier, earlier models? :) ) they had the adjustable tension coil spring ball detent even then. (leftmost toe, photo above). It is adjusted from the bottom, though.

Sponsor

Staff online