• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Forward lean

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I have been skiing in Technica Cochise boots 120 for about a year. Progressing through the stages, I eventually ended up in masters racing program. With these boots (Cochise) I have been feeling like I have been fighting the boot to get more forward lean. It felt like I had to make an effort to drive the heel in the heel pocket of the boot. Out of curiosity I put a small "spoiler" behind my calf and, things improved dramatically. On steeps, suddenly my new downhill foot extends faster, I am hooking the front edge higher and doing nice turns where I used to hopelessly slide. I don't need to see a video to feel the difference. I did not mess with the ramp angle, since my ankle range of motion is above average.

Any recommendations for a new race boot? I do not have access to a boot fitter, so the plan is to order and try a bunch. What do I do about forward lean? Just use a spoiler? Tecnica/Nordica race boots are the same 12.5 degrees as Cochise, I am reading...

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I have been skiing in Technica Cochise boots 120 for about a year. Progressing through the stages, I eventually ended up in masters racing program. With these boots (Cochise) I have been feeling like I have been fighting the boot to get more forward lean. It felt like I had to make an effort to drive the heel in the heel pocket of the boot. Out of curiosity I put a small "spoiler" behind my calf and, things improved dramatically. On steeps, suddenly my new downhill foot extends faster, I am hooking the front edge higher and doing nice turns where I used to hopelessly slide. I don't need to see a video to feel the difference. I did not mess with the ramp angle, since my ankle range of motion is above average.

Any recommendations for a new race boot? I do not have access to a boot fitter, so the plan is to order and try a bunch. What do I do about forward lean? Just use a spoiler? Tecnica/Nordica race boots are the same 12.5 degrees as Cochise, I am reading...
Good luck fitting a plug (i.e., a "race boot") without a bootfitter

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the OP may be contemplating a consumer race boot? Even then, get thee to a fitter.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I think the OP may be contemplating a consumer race boot? Even then, get thee to a fitter.

I stopped by/called a couple of local boot shops (fitters), they don't even stock race boots. I know there are some people up in the mountains, but it is not really practical. With unlimited resources or unlimited time I'd go for it. As it stands, I can find cheap boots on Internet sales and try a bunch over time, but this is about it.

I was thinking Nordica Dobermann GP or Tecnical Firebird R, which I gather designed to more or less fit out of the box.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I stopped by/called a couple of local boot shops (fitters), they don't even stock race boots. I know there are some people up in the mountains, but it is not really practical. With unlimited resources or unlimited time I'd go for it. As it stands, I can find cheap boots on Internet sales and try a bunch over time, but this is about it.

I was thinking Nordica Dobermann GP or Tecnical Firebird R, which I gather designed to more or less fit out of the box.
where's local?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
It is pretty late in the season for race gear.

That said, Denver Sports Lab (Golden) should be able to help you out. Per their website, they have several race models available in many different sizes.
Larry's (Boulder) usually has a few race models in stock and may be able to help you.

I have heard good things about Boot Mechanics (Golden) and Foothills Ski Life (Denver), but I don't have any direct experience. Both shops are on Rocky Mountain Masters' website as catering to racers, so they're probably good options as well.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do yourself a BIG favor and don't screw around with boots the way you've been screwing around with learning to carve better. Boots are your single most important part of the whole skiing equation, esp. if you want to race. Save your money and go, even if it's way out of your way, to a qualified fitter that fits racers. When I use to race, my peers would drive 5 hours to visit a shop to have their boots fitted. BTW trying to race in a Technica Cochise is like trying to race in the Le Mans with a Subura WRX.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Do yourself a BIG favor and don't screw around with boots the way you've been screwing around with learning to carve better. Boots are your single most important part of the whole skiing equation, esp. if you want to race. Save your money and go, even if it's way out of your way, to a qualified fitter that fits racers. When I use to race, my peers would drive 5 hours to visit a shop to have their boots fitted. BTW trying to race in a Technica Cochise is like trying to race in the Le Mans with a Subura WRX.

Curious: what would be wrong with Tecnica Cochise 120? (honest question). I have added some spoilers and plan to add some 3d-printed heel ramps :)

These boots were bought for a very different purpose. Since then, the goals have changed :) Like switch from backcountry skiing to masters racing.

I guess I am not even sure I need a race boot. No way for me to tell experimentally. Should I simply get a good alpine boot w/o walking mode? Do I need a stiffer boot?

I think I definitely like more forward lean. The feedback I get from my coach is that I ski better that way. It also feels better.

Any recommendations for a boot I could get?

(I think) I have high arch, high instep, slightly wide feet. I do not expect comfort, the boot just have to be tolerable. Otherwise prefer a tight fit (Tecnica liners are annoying in that they pack when get wet from sweat and snow getting into boot). I am 150/5'9", I guess fairly strong lower body. I think I could get a bootfitter to do the adjustments, if necessary.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I definitely like a bit more forward lean when skiing steep terrain. A little bit thicker spoiler makes things effortless every year when I visit Jackson Hole to pound out laps on their steep stuff (my home area would NOT be considered steep).

Sponsor