• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm always wary of judging drivers from different cars..they behave differently and the driver has to drive around the car sometimes..you never know downforce and setup..someone may appear to shred tires but maybe the car is just not working..unless you have a team-mate for comparison, it's hard to know.

Yeh, with McLaren's engine change I strongly suspect it's going to be a Foghorn Leghorn type of situation at Barcelona, especially with restricted testing.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Watched 4 episodes of the new season of Formula 1 on Netflix.

Edit: I lied, I binged on 7 episodes last night.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Watched 4 episodes of the new season of Formula 1 on Netflix.

Remember David Walsh, the journalist who chased Lance Armstrong's cheating for 13 years? The guy is an impressively cogent speaker, and, weirdly, he had insight into Netflix' Drive to Survive without even talking about it.

The episodic, convergent, story format is old as the hills - well in English it's as old as The Canterbury Tales - and back in the 90s Walsh was meaning to do just such a story format on the Tour de France.

Walsh then also makes the point that all direct media coverage is expected to maintain a certain tone of "This is the most amazing sport event we are seeing. Most amazing ever". And he immediately caught the public fallout for not sticking to the hagiography. In spite of his Tales format.

Netflix may be trying to escape those expectations, I'm not personally sure. I don't think they even try to avoid outcome bias in their editing - I use the Albon and Haas episodes in evidence. Yes I'm a bit Hell's Kitchen/ Forged in Fire about the show.

Oh, BTW, shall we start the 2021 thread?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, BTW, shall we start the 2021 thread?
Catch up young pup.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
In which thread do we talk about Drive to Survive season 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.