• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don't think we've had an F1 thread yet this year.

So, how bad is Ferrari, huh? Is this all due to the oil burn clampdown? I guess it can't be just that since Ferrari is nearly as bad as it's customer teams are! But wow, to go from Pole to a Q2 exit in one year is quite the fall.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think it's the single technical things. I agree when you're at the cutting edge, even 1 mistake is going to affect you, and every F1 team has to get things pretty much perfect to be on the podium.

But what is striking is the dysfunction is showing at Ferrari, and that's it's more than just 1 thing which is why they're way down at the bottom.

The most telling indicator for me was completely blown strategy and radio Vettel in that recent race and not even knowing if they are going to stretch the stint or not and asking him what he thinks without knowing; shows they are just coasting and not having these things thought out, and completely not in sync. Where it's expected to be top tier, you'd have supercomputers already simulating 10 different strategy scenarios out, and know exactly what to do. When the departments and stakeholders aren't even working well together, there is no way you're going to make improvements and keep up with the competitors that are a well-oiled machine, let alone even avoid mistakes with the platform you have.

When redbull made their call to pit max losing the win, as did mercedes not calling in Lewis but still squeaking it out, each team did it with a calculating the risks and probabilities and best expected value for points/win and knowing there's always a probability it goes a different way; they weren't just winging it.

scott43

Skier
I don't think we've had an F1 thread yet this year.

So, how bad is Ferrari, huh? Is this all due to the oil burn clampdown? I guess it can't be just that since Ferrari is nearly as bad as it's customer teams are! But wow, to go from Pole to a Q2 exit in one year is quite the fall.
So my brother works for Red Bull and gets the occasional bit of info from the F1 world..he says, Binotto is an idiot. I don't know how far that goes through the team...but... I think lack of cheat-power shows problems with downforce and balance. It's easier to mask and downforce issue if you have extra hp to help that. Without their double-secret probation from FIA for their engine cheats, nobody knows how much they were gaining in HP.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So my brother works for Red Bull and gets the occasional bit of info from the F1 world..he says, Binotto is an idiot.

Surprising ... no one, not even Netflix viewers. I wonder if they're allowing Drive to Survive any access this season, at all.

Now the real weird thing to my mind, what with shambolic Ferrari woes and Tracing Point fines and Williams' sale and Alonso to Renault - is that no one is really watching McLaren as a turn-around success story.

scott43

Skier
It's taken McLaren a bit now to right the ship but yes. And Renault looks sporty. Even Williams is getting the better of the Ferrari-based teams. I wonder how much of the Ferrari chassis trickles down to the Ferrari power unit teams. Like Merc and Tracing Point...

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Not exactly a thriller that one. Unless you are George Russel.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not exactly a thriller that one. Unless you are George Russel.

Heh. That's the second wheel that's come flying this season - WTF is going on with the triple redundancy PBO wheel tethers? Spinergy spoke fans want to know. I think it's time we stop sweeping these incidents under the rug of 'rotary abrasion'.

I kinda disagree about the entertainment value - Gasly, Ricciardo and Magnussen made that much more fun than I ever expected. The Vettel/Magnussen episode (in a DRS-heavy race) made me think Ferrari have totally kecked their power unit mapping, in addition to downforce and balance mentioned above.

And a discombobulated Racing Point was interesting to witness.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
What a day at Monza... Ignominious failure for Ferrari, near re-birth for McLaren, joy for the former Minardi Red Bull second stringers.. spectacular..

scott43

Skier
Really have to wonder what was wrong with Bottas today.
I didn't catch it fully but something with engine modes. Don't know if they had an issue or if they just couldn't get the mode they wanted. Was a bit rich to hear him whine about having to fight to stay ahead of the plebs..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the inability to pass after the first few laps wasn't really unexpected or to be faulted, given the setup for this circuit. I don't think anyone in the correct order in the front could really muster a pass, it was all due to the pits and chaos.

The terrible start and losing 5 (or 6?) places though was not good. I think a good part of it is the mental game, and this is starting to be self-fulfilling.
Maybe his start wasn't great, but maybe that accounts for a 2place drop. From the radio listen-in he mentioned he thought he had a tire puncture or something was "wrong". Given his tire blew up a couple races back, I'd attribute the additional dropped places on lap 1 to a mental issue/confidence problem

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, I mean if the car didn't feel great and you thought you had a puncture I can see trying to pay it safe at Monza. Honestly, I thought he'd box at the end of lap one. In hindsight, if he had, maybe he would have won the race, he would have not boxed during the safety car and then he'd get a free tire change during the red flag. Also, you are right about passing, hard for everyone, probably even harder for Mercedes as they were running higher downforce for outright lap time and were down on striaghtline speed because of it.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
A win is a win! But... it seems like Red Bull Racing has lost a step with the loss of "Party Mode". I thought it was a little bittersweet to see Carlos Sainz' McLaren finishing behind a Honda powered Alpha Tauri. It's really a shame that it didn't work out between Honda and McLaren as they took all the pain and now others are taking advantage of that engine. Clearly they had no choice but to switch but it still has to hurt a little to see that car in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online