• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fore/Aft Balance and Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You know, @karlo, that’s a pretty outrageous assertion from a PSIA level 1 ski instructor about a seminar presented by physicist, level 4 APSI examiner, attended by 4 demo team members. But you’ve never had a problem of being introspective.

adhominem and pleas to higher authority are the death rattle of a failing argument.....

credibility was lost when the use of "physics" based on subjective terms was first tossed around. Now the issue has grown. I suggest this thread end gracefully.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nor do I believe a physicist who has never skied at an expert level could explain skiing through physics alone.

Bad to pretend otherwise.

The only physics that needs to be discussed regarding skiing are in reference to that which we CONTROL such as the relationship between the CoM and BoS and platform management which includes very basic and simple physics regarding momentum, leverage, mobility and pressure control. In my opinion, almost any ski discussion “devolving” into a complexly academic level of physics using mathematical expressions to explain skiing is more likely a symptom of something that is lacking and compensatory. Maybe the type of whom that may be referred to as such could take their scientific calculator and use it to level their refrigerator to reduce the noisy vibration so they can sleep better at night and, as a result, ski better the following morning. How’s that for simple math?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll be very brief. Every model of a real world event is an approximation. Nevertheless, such models can be very useful to improving understanding. One needs to recognize the limits of any given model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online