• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ford Transit Goes AWD For 2020

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Color me interested:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/05/2020-ford-transit-van-awd-new-gas-diesel-engines-5h6d2k9/

2020-ford-transit-2.jpg

Possibly checks a lot of boxes for me, as a potential replacement for our 2007 Sprinter diesel.

1. AWD
2. No increase in ride height
3. Gasoline turbo 6 torque for towing
4. Available 20 miles from my home (purchased Sprinter when we still lived in The Big City)

We'll be looking hard at the 2021 or 2022 versions. Reading excessively until then!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Damn...I hope my current Astro holds out till 2021-2022, but this is everything I need.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2. No increase in ride height
From article:
It's still rear-drive-based, but capable of sending up to 100 percent of the torque to the front wheels to prevent slippage. This system doesn't alter the load floor or seat height.
I am reading it as, the AWD doesn't change the interior to accomidate the AWD. I am guessing vehicle will be taller.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From article:

I am reading it as, the AWD doesn't change the interior to accomidate the AWD. I am guessing vehicle will be taller.

See now, I was reading pre-coffee, so I'll take a mulligan on that one, though Car & Driver is now saying "Unlike the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4—the only full-size van to offer all-wheel drive—the all-wheel-drive Transit maintains the same ride height as its rear-drive brethren" so I'm hoping.

In any event, I just hope it isn't lifted 3 or 4 inches like the factory Sprinters. Lower is more stable for towing, and we do a fair bit of that. Plus, fitting in garages.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Crew Van layout too! Hopefully the 2nd row is removeable when you don't need them. I love the flexibility of having 5 legal and safe seats for taking friends on adventures, but also pulling them out when it's just the better half, pup and I camping.

The real question is, can I get a crew van layout, with AWD, and a high roof?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
See now, I was reading pre-coffee, so I'll take a mulligan on that one, though Car & Driver is now saying "Unlike the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4—the only full-size van to offer all-wheel drive—the all-wheel-drive Transit maintains the same ride height as its rear-drive brethren" so I'm hoping.

In any event, I just hope it isn't lifted 3 or 4 inches like the factory Sprinters. Lower is more stable for towing, and we do a fair bit of that. Plus, fitting in garages.
The Transit in 2WD juuuust will fit in our garage with 1/2" or so to spare. We would need to watch tire pressure. The Quigley converted ones will not fit. We are still a few years out of replacing the SS Pugski. it comes down to how this will be for daily drivability verses another Yukon XL/Suburban/Expdition XL.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Transit in 2WD juuuust will fit in our garage with 1/2" or so to spare. We would need to watch tire pressure. The Quigley converted ones will not fit. We are still a few years out of replacing the SS Pugski. it comes down to how this will be for daily drivability verses another Yukon XL/Suburban/Expdition XL.

Same with our Sprinter. On some rental garages, the garage door's weather strip scrapes lightly, so I stand on the trailer hitch while Mrs. K drives.

We're conflicted. The Sprinter (AKA "Gigantor") is paid for, has low miles, diesel torque, a cool three-panel bed, and we love it. But no AWD. We're thinking that a few years down the road, an AWD Transit could just maybe replace the Sprinter AND the Sienna AWD minivan.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Same with our Sprinter. On some rental garages, the garage door's weather strip scrapes lightly, so I stand on the trailer hitch while Mrs. K drives.
Yeah, you are not selling me. ;)

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had an older Transit (2wd) handicap van. Nice basic rig. Reasonable price, especially for the handicap van. Nothing fancy but a decent ride. A good snow car on the one time we took it to the snow. The handicap rig added some weight - I'm not sure if it helped or hurt but I was happy with how it drove.

We wished for a 4wd to make a sweet all weather mini camper. Looks promising!

Eric

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have a camping equipped sprinter and a Sienna AWD?!

#ManAfterMyOwnHeart

Yup. The AWD minivan is the best skier's station wagon in the world.

35 years in the Pacific Moist West has made us van people for life.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have been periodically checking online for info on the new Transit AWD. We have a Transit 250 with a high roof at work and with the limited time I've had in it I am quite impressed with it overall. I was most concerned that they were going to do the dumb thing GM did with their AWD vans and only offer them in a 1500. When I decided to google "2020 Transit AWD price" I was relieved to see they will apparently offer the AWD in all weight classes. :golfclap:

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wondering when the online configurator (build your own) will go live?!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really think this could be marketed to skiers with all of the boxes it checks and be a vaible alternative to quad cab trucks and full and 3/4 sized SUV's. Especially "nicely equipped" they will be in the $50K range where the full sized SUVs ie Suburbans are in the 70K+ range. Now, drivability is my question, I am more sure i want to be this upright on a long 13 hour trip. Also, while this might have the same footprint as our Yukon, around town feel and parking is going to be dramatically different with driving position being so far further forward.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I really think this could be marketed to skiers with all of the boxes it checks and be a vaible alternative to quad cab trucks and full and 3/4 sized SUV's. Especially "nicely equipped" they will be in the $50K range where the full sized SUVs ie Suburbans are in the 70K+ range. Now, drivability is my question, I am more sure i want to be this upright on a long 13 hour trip. Also, while this might have the same footprint as our Yukon, around town feel and parking is going to be dramatically different with driving position being so far further forward.
Have you driven a newer Transit? They drive quite nicely and have surprisingly good visibility all around with what are probably the best side mirrors I've ever seen. I never liked driving a van but these are so much better than the old Econolines I'm considering one for my next vehicle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you driven a newer Transit? They drive quite nicely and have surprisingly good visibility all around with what are probably the best side mirrors I've ever seen. I never liked driving a van but these are so much better than the old Econolines I'm considering one for my next vehicle.
I spend a short time driving a Sprinter and I am sure I could get used to the upright driving position. I would be interested to see how the road noise is from them. Once they hit the ground, we will make a trip to the local dealer to see how they are.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
While I like the idea of a AWD Transit, what bugs me about Ford is that they always seem to be changing engines every couple of years. Why can't they find a decent engine and tweak it for more power, economy, emissions instead of jumping ship all the time?

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I spend a short time driving a Sprinter and I am sure I could get used to the upright driving position. I would be interested to see how the road noise is from them. Once they hit the ground, we will make a trip to the local dealer to see how they are.
The driving position doesn't seem any more upright than my Silverado and you sit far enough back from the front wheels that you don't get the weird van swing around turns.
While I like the idea of a AWD Transit, what bugs me about Ford is that they always seem to be changing engines every couple of years. Why can't they find a decent engine and tweak it for more power, economy, emissions instead of jumping ship all the time?
It's not just the engines. they change a lot of things. One of the reasons I have stuck with GM trucks is that I pretty much know what to expect. I'm going to be fixing certain things at certain mileages and may need to upgrade certain parts but it's all relatively cheap and easy because the parts might be the same for 5-10 years.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Interesting comment. The 3.5-liter ecoboost engine I'm looking at first came out in 2009 IIRC.

I'm more concerned about the "busy" behavior of a 10-speed automatic, although the tight gear spacing will be great for towing.

Sponsor

Staff online