• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ford to Introduce New Bronco...Interesting Date?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m thinking the four-door black diamond. The marine grade vinyl seats and the easy clean out interior appeal to me. Plus, it’s the highest level model that still comes with the standard transmission. I’m not sure what everybody else’s opinion is but I don’t hear good things about the Ford 10 speed automatic transmission in terms of reliability.
Jury is still out on reliability (it ain't old enough yet to know for sure), but I'm a fan. It's by far the best automatic transmission I've ever driven, particularly for mountain descents where most four- and five-speed units have too big of a gap between the 1/2/3 to maintain a reasonable descent speed without being slow. I've got 36k on my 2017 F-150, and while I did have the TSB performed to reprogram it out of the hard 1-3 shifts when cold, I haven't had anything resembling an actual issue with the transmission.

It ain't a manual—there's a significant shift lag in certain circumstances, even in "M" mode and using paddles—but that's generally not a big deal once you're used to it, and I *think* tuners can decrease it (I assume some of it is a "protect-the-mechanicals" programming).

re: the Bronco, I find them intriguing; my wife wants one, but (a) she picks cars on looks first and functional suitability later; and (b) while I have a reasonable amount of faith in Ford, I don't have a lot of interest in pre-ordering a first-year-of-production vehicle from any manufacturer. Oh, and (c) it will drive me nuts if she gets something truly off-road capable and then doesn't want to take it the places it could go.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
It's by far the best automatic transmission I've ever driven, particularly for mountain descents where most four- and five-speed units have too big of a gap between the 1/2/3 to maintain a reasonable descent speed without being slow. I've got 36k on my 2017 F-150, and while I did have the TSB performed to reprogram it out of the hard 1-3 shifts when cold, I haven't had anything resembling an actual issue with the transmission.

30K miles on my 19 F-150 and the ten speed is perfect. Not one complaint. Can't feel it shift, always in the right gear. 20+mpg average with my 4x4 crew cab. The trans is awesome. Selectable modes engineered excellent. Just my experience with it as a car nut. Lug nut. :)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
30K miles on my 19 F-150 and the ten speed is perfect. Not one complaint. Can't feel it shift, always in the right gear. 20+mpg average with my 4x4 crew cab. The trans is awesome. Selectable modes engineered excellent. Just my experience with it as a car nut. Lug nut. :)

I guess it’s hit or miss maybe. I’ve got three friends who have or had Ford trucks with the 10 speed transmission and all three have had nothing but problems. 2 have already traded them away for other brands. That’s the basis of my apprehension.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I guess it’s hit or miss maybe. I’ve got three friends who have or had Ford trucks with the 10 speed transmission and all three have had nothing but problems. 2 have already traded them away for other brands. That’s the basis of my apprehension.

Coach13 do you know what year trucks your friends had trans trouble with? It may be similar to the few years Jeep had problems with the 9-speed in the Cherokee that were eventually resolved with hardware, firmware, and software updates.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coach13 do you know what year trucks your friends had trans trouble with? It may be similar to the few years Jeep had problems with the 9-speed in the Cherokee that were eventually resolved with hardware, firmware, and software updates.

I don’t now exactly but I’m sure it has been no later than 2016 or 17 for the 2 who have already traded their trucks. I have a 2018 Tundra and they both bought not long before me. 1 now has a new RAM (which he is having AT problems with) and 1 has a 2019 Chevy. The 1 who still has his truck just bought it last summer so I’m assuming it is a 2019.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t now exactly but I’m sure it has been no later than 2016 or 17 for the 2 who have already traded their trucks. I have a 2018 Tundra and they both bought not long before me. 1 now has a new RAM (which he is having AT problems with) and 1 has a 2019 Chevy. The 1 who still has his truck just bought it last summer so I’m assuming it is a 2019.
2017 was the first year for the ten-speed, and there definitely are plenty of people with complaints on the truck forums. Lots of the complaints I've seen, though, were related to harsh shifting that was addressed by a reprogramming TSB.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2017 was the first year for the ten-speed, and there definitely are plenty of people with complaints on the truck forums. Lots of the complaints I've seen, though, were related to harsh shifting that was addressed by a reprogramming TSB.

Maybe by the time the bronco is produced there will be no issues at all with the 10 speed transmission, especially since it’s a requirement when paired up with the larger engine. I’m definitely buying a new bronco, but I usually don’t buy much off of the first production run anyway. Serious or not, there will definitely be a few issues for them to iron out. That seems to be the trend when new models first come out, in my opinion.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe by the time the bronco is produced there will be no issues at all with the 10 speed transmission, especially since it’s a requirement when paired up with the larger engine. I’m definitely buying a new bronco, but I usually don’t buy much off of the first production run anyway. Serious or not, there will definitely be a few issues for them to iron out. That seems to be the trend when new models first come out, in my opinion.
Given how complex modern vehicles are, it would be shocking if a first-year vehicle had zero teething issues.

FWIW, the 10-speed was only available in the F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost in 2017; from 2018 on, it comes when you get anything other than the base engine.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sigh.
The original had such simplicity and clean lines. Fun.
This is just another modern vehicle. Riding inside a square egg, slathered with doodads.
I guess we’ll never see something like the 64 1/2 Mustang convertible. Though kudos to BMW who for awhile came very close. Then everything becomes so bloated.

I had an IH Scout II for a bit. That was a great body shape. What a piece of crap though. After it’s diagnosis of terminal cancer in the frame and unistruts I think they were called, on the drive home it celebrated, trying to commit suicide via an engine fire. Fortunately, the radiator hose melted and it put itself out before setting the forest ablaze.

Did thousands of miles around the country in a Dodge Ramcharger. 1973 1/2 I think. They only made it without door frames over the windows for a half year I believe. Maybe one year. Which meant when you took the top off, it was flat all the way back. Like the Scout. We had the engine in that rebuilt at like 110,000, then later repainted it CalTrans Orange, renting a spray booth. It went another 100k living in LA. It was then sold to a kid for his first vehicle. Classic surf truck. Very clean lines without the top.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sigh.
The original had such simplicity and clean lines. Fun.
This is just another modern vehicle. Riding inside a square egg, slathered with doodads.
I guess we’ll never see something like the 64 1/2 Mustang convertible. Though kudos to BMW who for awhile came very close. Then everything becomes so bloated.

I had an IH Scout II for a bit. That was a great body shape. What a piece of crap though. After it’s diagnosis of terminal cancer in the frame and unistruts I think they were called, on the drive home it celebrated, trying to commit suicide via an engine fire. Fortunately, the radiator hose melted and it put itself out before setting the forest ablaze.

Did thousands of miles around the country in a Dodge Charger. 1973 1/2 I think. They only made it without door frames over the windows for a half year I believe. Maybe one year. Which meant when you took the top off, it was flat all the way back. Like the Scout. We had the engine in that rebuilt at like 110,000, then later repainted it CalTrans Orange, renting a spray booth. It went another 100k living in LA. It was then sold to a kid for his first vehicle. Classic surf truck. Very clean lines without the top.
I was confused for a minute thinking "take the top off a charger?" then I realized you meant one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ramcharger

James

Out There
Instructor
I was confused for a minute thinking "take the top off a charger?" then I realized you meant one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ramcharger
Yes, Ramcharger. So, I guess it was a 1974.
Here’s one for sale-

E5C33F73-FAFB-4691-AD96-33AA07DD41F4.jpeg

Believe it or not, those ridiculous “bucket” seats were really comfortable. We did over 6k mikes in two weeks driving around the west. I was always amazed at how comfortable those seats were, though with no head rest, dangerous.

Some years later, when it was an LA car, the metal seat base on the passenger side was loose. So, we’d just gone to the store, picked up some Krylon spray paint. Driving back, at the exact moment the car hit a bump, the seat went up or to the side, came down on the spray paint can puncturing it. All of a sudden, this hissing thing is flying all around the footwell.

Sponsor

Staff online