• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foot length - stretching liner

Saller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

Thinking about my gear in summer time...

I am in a 27,5 Cochise with a 28,0mm foot. So shell fit is quiet tight for my flat feet.
However i cant stand the short liner that compress my feet. The Shop did not have a clue either.

So i used my old 28foam liners, which worked great. However, they are toast now and also quite stiff for touring.
So, any ideas to make the original liners longer ? Like 5mm ?
Go to a good Shop? DIY?

Maybe the toebox of the Shell could be just a little longer also...

Thanks

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Hi,

Thinking about my gear in summer time...

I am in a 27,5 Cochise with a 28,0mm foot. So shell fit is quiet tight for my flat feet.
However i cant stand the short liner that compress my feet. The Shop did not have a clue either.

So i used my old 28foam liners, which worked great. However, they are toast now and also quite stiff for touring.
So, any ideas to make the original liners longer ? Like 5mm ?
Go to a good Shop? DIY?

Maybe the toebox of the Shell could be just a little longer also...

Thanks
Its not that uncommon to get a little more toe room by detaching the harder plastic " sole" area of the liner with a heat gun, pushing out the toe area of the liner with a ram and re attaching the base of the liner in the new position. If the liner has no separate base you may get some extra toe room by cross- hatching the offending area with a box cutter or similar to allow some extra stretch in the now more flexible toe box. Good luck.

TS
S

Saller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks man. I guess i can try with an old liner and go from there

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I picked up a pair of "shoe stretcher" at the second hand store. The old kind with two piece wooden toes.

They go in my liners every spring, and don't come out until I'm ready to ski in early winter. I pad the heels with cardboard so the pressure is pretty stout. They help! I suppose I should have bought the next size up boot.... nah! That wouldn't be good ;-)

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
go see your local boot fitter (not boot seller)they should be able to put a couple of mm on both the liner or the shell, whatever is needed

IMO if a shop doesn't know how to lengthen a boot shell or liner a little then they certainly shouldn't call themselves a fitter, in fact they probably should be trying to make a fast buck out of skiers by selling kit that may need adjusted, they are most likely selling ti too big in many cases to avoid the need to adjust

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
If the old liners worked great, it doesn't seem as if you need the shells stretched.

If you're not near a good bootfitter, you can extend the liners yourself. There was a discussion on that very topic here, I think it was, last season. Didn't find the thread in my first search, but if I come across it, I'll post a link.

Last edited: