• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Food coma, or how was your turkey day?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We tried something new for us this year-I smoked the bird. In the past I've done traditional roasted, deep fried, and trash can turkey but this was one of the very best. I brined it over night then slathered some butter, sage, thyme, and rosemary between the skin and breast and cooked it at about 225° with some fairly heavy Applewood smoke. I also stuffed some apples and oranges in the cavity to help keep it moist and slathered more butter on the skin during smoke to crisp the skin and keep it moist.

With all the sides and a fantastic Dunn Vineyards 2003 cabernet and then a 2006 30th anniversary Kenwood Jack London Cab, it was pretty great. Still paying for it today but it was worth it.
20161124_151727.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I spatchocked (butterflied) a heritage turkey that I bought from a friend who raises them. No brine; just a dry rub. The skin and white meat were great, but the thighs were underdone despite what my thermometer told me. No big; they'll be good reheated. We had plenty of meat.

Honestly, for me, the compelling reason to have a turkey is to make the gravy from the pan drippings, and Eric outdid himself there. Delicious.

Among all of us, we made cranberry sauce, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, green beans, salad, pecan pie. The only items bought whole were the bread and the wine.

I'm grateful for the woman working at the sandwich shop where they have my favorite gluten free bread. It's a baguette about the size of a small hoagie. I asked if I could buy one for Thanksgiving. Normally, they wouldn't sell their sandwich bread like that, but she made an exception. So I had little baguette rounds slathered with butter and smeared around in stuffing, gravy, etc. I haven't had that texture/ flavor combo in over a decade. It took me right back to meals as a kid.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My turkey was for sure the best one I ever made. It might make me think about making turkey more than once a year, lol. I wet brined it and stuffed with sliced lemons, apples, onions, bay leaf, and put butter and herbs under the breast skin. Which is what I usually do, but I think maybe I did the brine a little different. Anyway, we hardly have any leftovers!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Our was small but tasty. Home made cranberry sauce from Bandon fresh cranberries; those things are so sweet you can eat them like blueberries.

Dogs needed out, fine. The dogs were very thankful for the pumpkin pie being stored on the back porch. Thankfully we had already had a slice.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Dogs needed out, fine. The dogs were very thankful for the pumpkin pie being stored on the back porch. Thankfully we had already had a slice.

:eek:

We were paranoid about keeping the turkey within line of site. Well ... it's not paranoia if you know someone's out to get you. Cooper has motive, opportunity, and a rap sheet.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Leftover breakfast just put me into another food coma: I made a hash of cornbread dressing, turkey, and chopped egg, topped with butter (since we ran out of gravy ... or do I really have to justify this?). 'night everyone

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Still recovering from the lunch/dinner for my side of the family yesterday. 14 of us there. The turkey, stuffing and gravy are the traditional center piece of the table but it's the lobster, shrimp, fish, steak and ribs dishes that everyone stays for.

Tomorrow is round 2 - Mamie's side of the family - 30 people. They come from as far as MA & MD. Usually runs from 12 noon to 1:00 AM.
Thank god they are more into wine rather than food. For them, the food is so they'll have enough energy to drink more.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned elsewhere on this site I do not care for the traditional Thanksgiving menu, so I really did not eat too much. At my son's urging on the way home from the inlaws we stopped at Hurts Donut in Lincoln, NE. I had a late night "Homer" donut -mmmm- very sugary. I felt guilty eating it, but hey, it's a holiday.
IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7420.JPG

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned elsewhere on this site I do not care for the traditional Thanksgiving menu, so I really did not eat too much. At my son's urging on the way home from the inlaws we stopped at Hurts Donut in Lincoln, NE. I had a late night "Homer" donut -mmmm- very sugary. I felt guilty eating it, but hey, it's a holiday.
View attachment 16422
View attachment 16423
Mmmmm....donuts. is there anything they can't do?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hadn't realized I took a picture of our spatchcocked - what a great word! - turkey.

20161124_162914.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
PS note fancy carving board I bought because Peppercorn overwhelms any modicum of price-sensitivity I might possess. It's in walking distance to my office =/

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Food and Beer coma. Got a few growlers full of IPA from Breckenridge Brewery. Highly recommended! Nice day today so rode my bike for 90 min or so to try to burn all that. Ended up being more of an easy ride. Close to 60º in town, awesome for late Nov.!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We went cold turkey.............:drool:.........sandwiches.... today at the ski hill :yahoo: Tonight switched to ham as the drug of choice

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Couldn't find a Thankgiving dinner in northern Thailand. One hotel usually does one but cancalled holiday events due mourning the death of the king image.jpg

Sponsor