• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flying with Skis question

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another vote for the Douchebag. Have been using it now for 3 or 4 years, travelling between Australia and Europe. The contents have never sustained any damage (touch wood!), and the bag itself shows only minor scuffing. Holds 2 pairs of skis and a shed load of other gear very easily.

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
My wife and I have used douchebags for the last few years travelling to the US and Japan with no problems. I always wrap the skis in bubble wrap and then pad out the space with soft gear like socks and skivvies etc. Have never had any damage. Some more anal skiers may not like douchebags because the boots go with the skis rather than hand carried on the plane, but again we have never had a problem.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just got my Douchebag last weekend and have been playing with different configurations for two pairs of skis. (I have all summer to work out the kinks) The web site says put one pair flat on the bottom, side by side. The second pair goes bases to the lateral walls of the bag, standing on their sides. Seems to be a lot of potential for edges impacting against hard parts of the bindings. How do some of you other Douchebag owners do it?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just got my Douchebag last weekend and have been playing with different configurations for two pairs of skis. (I have all summer to work out the kinks) The web site says put one pair flat on the bottom, side by side. The second pair goes bases to the lateral walls of the bag, standing on their sides. Seems to be a lot of potential for edges impacting against hard parts of the bindings. How do some of you other Douchebag owners do it?

I too am interested on the best way to pack two pair of skis/poles and not get things banged up. Seems like these bags should have sturdy Velcro straps to secure things in place.

I did read somewhere that someone was removing bindings and and then stack the skis. Removing bindings seems like a pain to me

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I too am interested on the best way to pack two pair of skis/poles and not get things banged up. Seems like these bags should have sturdy Velcro straps to secure things in place.

I did read somewhere that someone was removing bindings and and then stack the skis. Removing bindings seems like a pain to me

Skiers removing bindings are using "demo" bindings like Attack13's; where the toe and heel pieces just slide right off the track in two seconds.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ various configurations will work with demos like the attacks.
Not sure about the douche but the dakine has straps for two pairs - it is called the double concourse for a reason.
One trip recent, two bags, five pairs - yeah, I know it's a sickness.
I've tested two bags with 6 pairs even with the bindings on for next season three week jaunt.
FYI - It helps considerably if your spouse or travel partner has light weight setups.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Douchebag packing: I just put both pair in parallel, base to base, with a little bubble wrap around each pair. Clothes and other sundry bits n' pieces fit into the spare spaces. The bubble wrap serves as much to protect the clothes from the ski edges, as it does to protect the skis themselves.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No length for speed event skis for sure...

I used to use a large taco roll bag made by swix... Could hold 7-8 pairs and length no object. I'm sure muleski knows more current race ski practice.

Yes the burrito bags are good but by the time you get several pairs of skis in they get heavy! I used one when I went to chile a couple of years ago and with 5 pairs and poles I had to remove most of the bindings to keep it at 70#. ( got some funny looks at security with 4 sets of bindings in my back pack! )

Don't know about "sleeves" but for speed skis I always use a base protector, even in my truck. And, always worth putting travel wax on for your return trip. I have not always been as religious about this as I should be but coming back from chile one pair of GS skis ended up needing a grind despite 4 straps on them - go figure. So now even on long road trips they get a thick coat of wax for the return from an event

But back to the original Q. I have used soft bags for air travel since 1979, and have seen them subject to all the usual abuse, but, touch wood, not had any damage. YMMV

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ScotsSkier
Great info, I was wondering it there was a way to protect the bases, looks like you touched on it.

@Ulmerhutte
I was worried about the edges cutting nice ski pants/jackets, sound like wrapping the skis would help for sure

@Catskill carver
I kinda like th looks of the Dakine better than the Douchebag, just looks more sturdy, and it if has the straps already then it seems the way to go.

And, @Philpug stated earlier that it's best to carry boots on as they are the most important item.

So, let's move onto carryon boot bags being I have your attention :)
Which one?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was worried about the edges cutting nice ski pants/jackets, sound like wrapping the skis would help for sure

I'll do the opposite...wrap my jacket/pants/etc. in a small (lightweight) duffel bag and put it in my ski bag. This gives me a backup plan if any airline enforces the "only skis in the ski bag" rule (which I've never actually seen enforced). Worst cast scenario, I take out my extra duffel and check it separately.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I honestly don't understand how this is even a debate or why soft cases are MUCH more popular. I use a hard case and wouldn't risk my skis to a soft case. I have seen a limited amount of how roughly the airline people handle the skis, but just from what I have seen, they literally throw the cases around. I have a SportTube Series 2 and it comfortably fits a pair of Nordica Enforcer 100 and a pair of Rossi Tempation 88. The downside, is as Phil said, the hard case is heavy and between the case and the 2 pairs of skis it weighs just around 50lbs which is usually the stipulated weight limit. I have never been charged extra though.

Don't know wich airline you fly, but over here the sweet days of looking between the fingers with luggage are over. Our airlines are meticulous. They charge you for just looking overwight ... joke ... So if you fly 3-4 times a season or more with 4-5 pairs of skis--a hard case won't work. And isn't needed inme.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
@ScotsSkier
Great info, I was wondering it there was a way to protect the bases, looks like you touched on it.

@Ulmerhutte

@Catskill carver
I kinda like th looks of the Dakine better than the Douchebag, just looks more sturdy, and it if has the straps already then it seems the way to go.

And, @Philpug stated earlier that it's best to carry boots on as they are the most important item.

Which one?
I've just bought the Burton boot backpack. It's dimensions seem to exactly hit most airlines carry on requirements, it is sturdy, and comfortably fits a pair of boots plus helmet and other sundries.

It's officially a snowboard boot bag but it can't tell the difference.

I haven't yet used it for travel but I've heard good reports (I bought it on a recommendation).

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Douchebag actually also sells an IATA-approved carry-on boot bag: https://douchebags.com/backpack-hugger-30l Apart from likely being a well-made product, it also can be hooked onto the ski bag for toting.

Disclosure: I don't have one, and unlikely to buy one any time soon, because I have an Ortovox pack, which I use as both a carry-on bag and to wear while skiing off piste.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
boot bags...
1 get an airline c.c for the carrier (s) you use the most
2. get early / preferential boarding
3. get a bag that fits your needs, I've seen obscenely large boot bags disappear into overhead compartments, when you board early enough.

not that I've done that :cool:

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
boot bags...
1 get an airline c.c for the carrier (s) you use the most
2. get early / preferential boarding
3. get a bag that fits your needs, I've seen obscenely large boot bags disappear into overhead compartments, when you board early enough.

not that I've done that :cool:

I've got the above covered via being an American Airlines Executive Platinum frequent flier. :) :)

Plus I don't have to pay for extra baggage. Sadly, I have to fly A LOT to get these privileges. Flying home from China Monday...and Tuesday.... Yeah, it's a long trip home

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a roller Sportube Ski Shield 2, which is the one soft bag in the Sportube line. I've used it with two pairs of skis and with a single pair (the latter with also pretty much all my clothes for the trip), along with matching number of poles. The bag is slightly heavier than the Dakine equivalent but that's due to the extra padding, which I was looking for. The material looks very sturdy to me, and the bag doesn't have a single scratch after 3 round trips. Also better than the Dakine: lots of straps and excellent inside pockets. I've used it on Delta and Southwest with no problems.

The one downside: it only comes in 190 cms and my longest skis are 172. I just put my ski pants to fill the top. Between the clothes and bubble wrap, it's been good so far.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiers removing bindings are using "demo" bindings like Attack13's; where the toe and heel pieces just slide right off the track in two seconds.

I have Attack Demos on my Laser AXs- Thank you for the insight! That will make life much easier! And thank you to you other Douchebag users for your input.

I was working with various configurations last night, and came up pretty much with what Douchebag has on their web site: One pair bases flat on the bottom of the bag and the other pair bases to the sides standing on their sides. All brakes retracted. This essentially makes a rigid rectangular box of the Douchebag with storage space in the middle. To keep the upright skis upright, I will be using foam rolls between tips and tails to bridge the center. I also am concerned about ski edges cutting clothing so am hesitant to have jackets and pants do that duty. One of my packing goals is to limit my traveling luggage to the double ski bag, a wheeled duffel style bag, a carry-on with a day's supply of clothing and boots with me on the plane. I did get the Douchebag hugger 30L for the carry-on because I really like how it hooks up with the ski bag. I also want to stash the boots in the ski bag at luggage claim, so there's less to slog through the airport with. The only way I can see to get the boots into the Douchebag is to stash the skis as above. Base to base in the usual fashion with two pairs won't work. The bag can ingest the skis that way, but without space able to accommodate a pair of boots. The boots might very well ride in the Douchebag for the trip home- the combination still comes in under 50#. This is shaping up to be the best travel system I've had in my 30 years of traveling with skis.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just bought the last Dakine Double Concourse ski bag that Evo.com had.

Next up gotta get Ski Poles

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Which one?

For carry on boots, I prefer the Transpack Sidekick Pro. It is backpack that carries your boots (as compared to a bootbag you wear on your back) so it is very comfortable walking through airports. The shape of the back fits very well in overhead compartments and holds a tremendous amount of gear and has a padded compartment for a laptop too.

641630089e79a47b1da20323411caa5a.jpg

The downside of the bag is that it does not protect the boots from the elements.

Sponsor

Staff online