• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I'm not going to change anyone's mind on the interwebz..but I'm confident that we'll look back in 20 years and say "Wow..do you remember when people used to use fluoro waxes and ingested all those carcinogens?? Crazy..." just like we do looking back at lead in gas. Skiing will still happen and nobody will die... Cheers!

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
One piece of information to add. I recently tried to buy some fluoro wax of their own brand from RaceWax, and cannot find any. I bought from them before last year and like the wax.

I then emailed the company, got the reply saying "I have had to place all fluoro products on temporary hold" without a clear explanation. But they are still selling fluoro wax of other brands, e.g., Swix Black Wolf.

Went into a shop looking for Swix F4 in a dispenser. I was told they'd sold out and no more was available. Furthermore, no fluoro waxes at all will be available.

Was news to me!
Thoughts?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Yeah I'm not going to change anyone's mind on the interwebz..but I'm confident that we'll look back in 20 years and say "Wow..do you remember when people used to use fluoro waxes and ingested all those carcinogens?? Crazy..." just like we do looking back at lead in gas. Skiing will still happen and nobody will die... Cheers!

I tend to agree, but until it's all gone and hundies count, it's going to be an advantage. Won't be surprised if they start testing skis in FIS competition in a year or two.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is the tech choosing that risk?
He or she does. It comes with job. If you feel this is too much of risk for you, you don't pick that job, or you quit it if you have it. And honestly, as I wrote before, these waxes are not so bad, you will die from it if you will wax fluoro powders 5 times a year. Nowadays this is really issue only of those handfull of alpine service techs, who do this for hours every day. Why only alpine and not xc, where they spend 100 times amount of fluoro that's spent on alpine circuit? Because nowadays things on xc tour are so well organized and regulated, that working conditions of xc techs are amazing compared to rest of skiing. Half of them are waxing in well ventilated wax trucks, and even the other half of those poor guys that don't have wax trucks, is waxing is so good ventilated wax rooms, that it's not really much of issue, even if you would do it without gas mask. At least on WC level, where majority of fluor is spent, FIS dictates how wax boxes should be equiped etc. And in xc, I don't think on WC level there's single guy waxing fluoro without gas mask, except guys in few trucks where ventilation is done different, and they have ventilation integrated into irons. On alpine, where conditions are light years behind, and majority of waxing is still done in poorly or not ventilated hotel garage transformed into temporary wax room, majority of techs don't use gas masks, as it's just too annoying, or if they use, they use cheap paper one or wrong filters.

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier

Not all leaded gas is gone, automobiles yes but it is still still widely used in racing and aviation although the FAA is trying to phase it out.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
One piece of information to add. I recently tried to buy some fluoro wax of their own brand from RaceWax, and cannot find any. I bought from them before last year and like the wax.

I then emailed the company, got the reply saying "I have had to place all fluoro products on temporary hold" without a clear explanation. But they are still selling fluoro wax of other brands, e.g., Swix Black Wolf.

That's what I bought late last season. Untouched. $200 and it's yours. :roflmao:

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Closer would be how everyone used Bondo with no masks. Including dust masks when sanding.

Tried to find the one with Zach's ten year old kid, which is funny, but here's fluoro waxing with Zachary Caldwell.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Well, there are Fluorocarbons, then there are Fluoridated Hydrocarbons. It's the pure fluorocarbons that can get you if you run a hot iron!

I don't go here!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Closer would be how everyone used Bondo with no masks. Including dust masks when sanding.

Tried to find the one with Zach's ten year old kid, which is funny, but here's fluoro waxing with Zachary Caldwell.

This is the one I was looking for! Thanks. Me no go! Like 356 F !!!!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
That's what I bought late last season. Untouched. $200 and it's yours. :roflmao:

Bidding starts at $1000 :D
62DB3667-9558-4F86-8334-F5BEB5DA53BD.jpeg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I just bought some F4 liquid for travel from another shop.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We have enough flouro in our display cases to sink a dinghy. I can take pictures if anyone is seriously interested. Dominator, Swix, Toko, Holmenkol, HWK.

Maybe I'll cut some of the powders with some ground paraffin, make it got further. ;)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Me no go! Like 356 F !!!!
Ironing with lower temp (120c or even your preferred 60c) won't do anything to fluoro powders. They won't even melt, not that they would melt enough to get into ptex. So if you feel uncomfortable with 180c,then it's better to just kork it in instead of bothering with iron. Result will be way better ;)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well that would certainly explain why I have not been able to find any of the liquid or paste F4 in the last two months that I have been looking around locally. I love the F4 universal bar.. I'm going to be sad if I can't get anymore of it.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
F4 should still be available (or better yet, it's still produced) just that it doesn't have fluoro in it, but some other, based on Swix, much better, faster and environment friendly stuff :) With F4, and all other new products, you can see this looking at package when there's small green leaf with "Fluor free" text in it (for "bio" waxes... beats me what that would mean), or small blue leaf with "future Cera" text in it, for new "fluoro" waxes.

Sponsor

Staff online