• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Went into a shop looking for Swix F4 in a dispenser. I was told they'd sold out and no more was available. Furthermore, no fluoro waxes at all will be available.

Was news to me!
Thoughts?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I heard that a whole swix shipment was stuck in a shipping container since there were no msds sheets on any of the chemicals.

Not sure about a full ban, but I could use some LF 5 right now.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not sure if US has anything to do with this, but there's some EU regulation prohibiting use of fluoro in ski waxes. First it was for 2018 season already, but then they postponed it to 2020 or 21, not sure now. On top of that, Norway has their own stuff and all Swix stuff is non-fluoro since end of 2018 season. Since all (decent) ski wax companies are in Europe, I don't think US regulation matters as you simply won't get fluoro waxes produced anymore, even if they would be allowed in US.
Yeah I agree complete BS, as I'm sure that little fluoro that goes into ski waxes will really change world. Especially since there's so huge amount of ski waxes produced. I'm sure they could find better way to save planet then bother with so obscure thing as ski waxes. Every single pisten bully makes more damage to world and nature then all the fluoro in all ski waxes produces all over the world in whole year.... or decade.
And what's worse, even if Swix tells current non-fluoro HF waxes and overlays are just as good or even better then old fluoro ones, reality is different. All tests done show they suck compared to old fluoro waxes. But... you just can't have them anymore, unless you have some old stock, but sooner or later that will go.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I agree fluoro is anything but healthy, and I always advocated using gas mask when waxing fluoros. But this issue is restricted to so little circle of people, that I really don't see it as global problem.
PS: There are also studies that show fluoro, unless heated to over 300c, is harmless. Swix made several such tests, and until few years ago (never bothered to check if they still do that), they were testing all their servicemen for this, and none of those checks showed fluoro building up in their blood, but yeah I agree, I'm sure Swix would make that research show no effect, so maybe not best reference.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No loss. Nasty chemicals really.

I predict a 10 year import gap - fluoros by China. Just like happened with stain resistant carpets and PFOS.

PS: There are also studies that show fluoro, unless heated to over 300c, is harmless. Swix made several such tests, and until few years ago (never bothered to check if they still do that), they were testing all their servicemen for this, and none of those checks showed fluoro building up in their blood, but yeah I agree, I'm sure Swix would make that research show no effect, so maybe not best reference.

Weren't you the one who pointed out that most of these studies were based on aerosolised rotobrush dust, not vapour, and therefore the airborne concentrations were significantly higher than just from ironing?

And that the techs were, in fact, heating to 300c by inhaling through lit cigarettes?

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@cantunamunch nope no idea on what those studies were based, so that's for sure I didn't say. That last part... yeah I had that experience first hand... not by smoking as that's one of things I never tried, not even once, but "saving" guy who did that and collapsed in our wax room.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I always go back to relativity..does it matter if you have flouro wax if nobody has flouro wax? I don't see this as career-threatening..just willful ignorance..or negligence..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Lead was a great anti knock agent in gas.. what benefit is derived from faster wax? I mean if you're risking serious health risks to go down a hill faster than the next guy when it's completely avoidable wouldn't you do that?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean if you're risking serious health risks to go UP a hill faster ON A BIKE than the next guy when it's completely avoidable wouldn't you do that?
Or, risking serious health risks for bigger muscles? Sometimes, people make poor choices. :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You're going to have to unpack that a little bit for us, the second bit specifically.

I like that expression. I'm stealing it. So many remarks are cryptic or just poorly worded these days and, until now, I felt critical asking for clarification.

Sponsor