• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi all,
I never use Fluoro wax, so I want to see how to apply properly.
I have Swix LF6 , so I wan to see suggestion should I use it direct on skis or should I first apply one coat of regular wax, I have Swix Universal hydrocarbon wax Red color?

I like to know what difference makes if just apply LF6 or first regular wax , scrape , clean then apply LF6?

Thank you

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
assume you already have regular CH wax applied on the ski. If so, clean and LF is fine (LF is very low flouro).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Learn now, it's on its way out due to environmental issues. Won't be allowed at races and won't be being sold pretty soon.

The bar I have will be available black market for a price. :ogbiggrin: Untouched.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
assume you already have regular CH wax applied on the ski. If so, clean and LF is fine (LF is very low flouro).
Correct skis had Ch wax on it ,and I already clean skis week ago .

Thank you

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hi all,
I never use Fluoro wax, so I want to see how to apply properly.
I have Swix LF6 , so I wan to see suggestion should I use it direct on skis or should I first apply one coat of regular wax, I have Swix Universal hydrocarbon wax Red color?

I like to know what difference makes if just apply LF6 or first regular wax , scrape , clean then apply LF6?

Thank you

Your base should be prepared with a base prep. wax and then waxed well.
Low fluoro wax is not much different from a hydrocarbon wax. It would be for dry snow.
If you are thinking about wet snow you need a high fluoro wax.
If you get tired of playing around, just get some Dominator Race Zoom Old and New snow waxes.
If it is very cold or man-made snow add some Dominator Bullet into the mix.
Good luck.

Jacques

Skier
Learn now, it's on its way out due to environmental issues. Won't be allowed at races and won't be being sold pretty soon.

The bar I have will be available black market for a price. :ogbiggrin: Untouched.

I believe the new fluoro waxes based on a C6 chain will be around as they are EPA approved.
Then, these are going to be available soon, and maybe more secrets coming soon!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LF6 is not the wax I would have picked for a week at Breck - the snow up high is pretty cold and pretty aggressive. Two, maybe three days of average performance followed by no-different-than-unwaxed. Sure, it's better down low especially in the condo crossover area, Sawmill, Crosscut, or near the Independence chair but anything would do there so long as the structure is right.

Yep, if I was bringing LF6 to Breck I would do 2 day refresher waxings, for sure. Fortunately, it's very readily corkable.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I rub LF7 most of the time and use a Pro Glide (Wax Whizard.) Two days is usually OK, often I do it every day.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
LF6 is not the wax I would have picked for a week at Breck - the snow up high is pretty cold and pretty aggressive. Two, maybe three days of average performance followed by no-different-than-unwaxed. Sure, it's better down low especially in the condo crossover area, Sawmill, Crosscut, or near the Independence chair but anything would do there so long as the structure is right.
Yep, if I was bringing LF6 to Breck I would do 2 day refresher waxings, for sure. Fortunately, it's very readily corkable.

Temperature this week will be up to 35F at Breck, I do not see why LF6 will not be good choice.
Unfortunate, for me I have to guess and go with luck since I am 800 miles form Ski area.
I will go with LF6 and see what my luck is.

Your base should be prepared with a base prep. wax and then waxed well.
Low fluoro wax is not much different from a hydrocarbon wax. It would be for dry snow.
If you are thinking about wet snow you need a high fluoro wax.
If you get tired of playing around, just get some Dominator Race Zoom Old and New snow waxes.
If it is very cold or man-made snow add some Dominator Bullet into the mix.
Good luck.

Leaving 800 miles form Ski area and ski about 30 days a seasons , I do not see my self spending that much money for Dominator Wax, but thank you for recommendations.
I am going to Colorado , Dry snow ,I guess LF6 will do work for me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Temperature this week will be up to 35F at Breck, I do not see why LF6 will not be good choice.

That is the day time air temperature high point - measured in town. The town is up to 3000 feet lower than where you will be skiing.

Like I said: in town or near the condos it doesn't matter what wax you have - anything will work so long as your structure is correct.

At the top of the lifts the snow will be the same type as when it fell - at 10F or lower. It takes days for snow structure to change from how it was when it fell to rounded old snow - a three or four hour high temperature during the day is irrelevant.

Unfortunate, for me I have to guess and go with luck since I am 800 miles form Ski area.

Luck and distance have absolutely nothing to do with it. At least two people in this thread have told you about re-applying wax two days after you start skiing - either with the same LF6 you brought with you or with something you buy in the village. Re-apply it cold, i.e. without an iron. How hard is it to bring a piece of LF6 with you and buy a $5 cork and some rubber bands in the village?

But hey, good luck and good snow to you.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
That is the day time air temperature high point - measured in town. The town is up to 3000 feet lower than where you will be skiing.

Like I said: in town or near the condos it doesn't matter what wax you have - anything will work so long as your structure is correct.

At the top of the lifts the snow will be the same type as when it fell - at 10F or lower. It takes days for snow structure to change from how it was when it fell to rounded old snow - a three or four hour high temperature during the day is irrelevant.

Luck and distance have absolutely nothing to do with it. At least two people in this thread have told you about re-applying wax two days after you start skiing - either with the same LF6 you brought with you or with something you buy in the village. Re-apply it cold, i.e. without an iron. How hard is it to bring a piece of LF6 with you and buy a $5 cork and some rubber bands in the village?

But hey, good luck and good snow to you.
I am going for few days , not whole week , but thank you for suggestions.
And about beeing long way it does makes diffrenece. Temperature can change . My friend was at Breck beggeing of February for 4 days, first 2 days was 50F then 10F. We looked weather 3 days before his trip and it was showing that will be mid 20F.

Jacques

Skier

Leaving 800 miles form Ski area and ski about 30 days a seasons , I do not see my self spending that much money for Dominator Wax, but thank you for recommendations.
I am going to Colorado , Dry snow ,I guess LF6 will do work for me.
Well, you get what you pay for. The Zoom series is all about not needing to guess so much.
With what I told you before about Zoom & Bullet you can't go wrong.
The antistatic's can not be overlooked in a wax, and that's why Dominator kills it.
If I was going where you are going, I would use Race Zoom New Snow and maybe add some Bullet to the mix.

Good luck.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, you get what you pay for. The Zoom series is all about not needing to guess so much.
With what I told you before about Zoom & Bullet you can't go wrong.
The antistatic's can not be overlooked in a wax, and that's why Dominator kills it.
If I was going where you are going, I would use Race Zoom New Snow and maybe add some Bullet to the mix.

Good luck.
Conditions were unbelievable , form -3 F morning to 45 F at 1pm, I do not thing anything I wax with will go all day Ok.
Morning were excelent with LF6 bt after noon not so good. I had to rewax it 3th day .

Anyway,
How long it can last Dominator Wax, how many days , and how is just regular Dominator wax not race?

Jacques

Skier
Conditions were unbelievable , form -3 F morning to 45 F at 1pm, I do not thing anything I wax with will go all day Ok.
Morning were excelent with LF6 bt after noon not so good. I had to rewax it 3th day .

Anyway,
How long it can last Dominator Wax, how many days , and how is just regular Dominator wax not race?
Yes, conditions can change drastically many times.
How long the wax last id going to depend on lots of factors.
How well the wax job is done. Proper base prep.?
Wax vs. snow condition.
How fast is the ski going. etc. etc.

I find my skis running well after a solid 12 hours at 45 to 50 mph.
After that, they don't look dry, but need wax again.
That said, I usually re-wax at around 8 hours of use.

Sponsor