• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flipping up wipers during snowstorms - bad idea?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I was reading about how sometimes bad wiper blade performance isn't due to the wipers themselves, but worn out tension in the wiper blade arms. And that the biggest contributor to killing the tension springs is flipping the windshield wipers up and leaving them there. Like so many skiers do in the base area parking lots.

I used to think this was such a smart idea. Now, I'm not so sure. I replace wiper blades at least once a year, and have a couple of older vehicles that need them more often than that. Thoughts on this?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not a metallurgist, but I also call fake news.

Is the tension really higher when the wiper is in the up position? Is the metal loosing tension? I don't think so.

The cost to replace a wiper motor or wiper mechanism hidden in the dash/firewall far exceeds the cost of replacing a spring and/or wiper arm that is readily accessable outside the body of the car.

Reactions: Ogg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The cost to replace a wiper motor or wiper mechanism hidden in the dash/firewall...
Is that why people put them up? I thought it was just to keep it from freezing to the windshield and protecting the blade. And making it easier to scrape. Are people blowing out their wiper motors trying to run them while frozen to the windshield or something?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They must be talking about the spring tension because the arm has a hinge and in the up position there is no tension on the arm itself. In fact there is more tension on the metal arm when it's down on the windshield and the spring pulls it taught to the windshield.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree with @scott43 and @Doug Briggs

the car's I've used this on have more a cam motion where tension is tight when down, then once past a swing point in putting them up, drops off. I don't believe there is greater tension when up than in the down position, so .. theory would hold spring may last longer in the up.

of course, they don't work well in that position when driving in a rain/snow storm :roflmao:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Scruffy yeah, typing while you replied but I completely agree

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I find it easier to scrape the window when the wiper is up and there's frozen crap all over it. I've done this for a lot of years with several vehicles. I'll take my chances.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Frozen wiper can strip out the armature to wiper motor spline. PS- wiper blades are expensive for 2 peices of rubber

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I'll risk it. What is it going to take to be an issue, 30 years? If it does become an issue there is a real simple metal clip you can purchase (or make yourself) to add tension to the wiper.

Wonder if this is brought to us by the same group that says you shouldn't let your engine warm a few seconds before you drive. Or the ever popular, 'wearing a hat won't increase heat loss'?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A little tangent...Can you even buy just the wiper part anymore? All I see are the entire arm/rubber combo. Seems like a huge waste. You used to just slide the worn rubber out and slide the new one in. Now you toss away the other 22 pieces of plastic for the other ways to hook up the new blade.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A little tangent...Can you even buy just the wiper part anymore? All I see are the entire arm/rubber combo. Seems like a huge waste. You used to just slide the worn rubber out and slide the new one in. Now you toss away the other 22 pieces of plastic for the other ways to hook up the new blade.
You can get the rubber refill alone. Cheaper and OEM blade is often better quality.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You can get the rubber refill alone. Cheaper and OEM blade is often better quality.
I'll have to look harder. I usually get the Goodyear or Michelins on sale at Costco. Not recently, though...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Is that why people put them up? I thought it was just to keep it from freezing to the windshield and protecting the blade. And making it easier to scrape. Are people blowing out their wiper motors trying to run them while frozen to the windshield or something?
Yes, they are running them while they are frozen. Sometimes by accident, of course, due to leaving them running when you turn off the car.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Yes, they are running them while they are frozen. Sometimes by accident, of course, due to leaving them running when you turn off the car.
Yup. With the cement we get here in the Sierra it’s not uncommon. Drive home in the storm & forget to turn off and flip up wipers, get 1’+ of heavy cement, turn car in in the morning to warm up before clearing off.

I’ve never personally had the motor burn up but definitely destroyed dozens of wiper blades over the years. Would be lying if I said I haven’t a few times turned the car on for 5 Or more minutes before clearing only to have the wipers start moving after a few swipes of the snowhoe

scott43

Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago I put in SilBlade silicone wipers on a 95 Range Rover. Pretty flat and steep windshield, basic 18 inch arm/blade. At the time, I bought both summer and winter blade/arms. Except I never swapped out the winter ones. I had those things in for 5 years! Over 100k miles. Only near the end did they streak. Incredible. Before that I went through Bosch, - crap didn’t last, and all sorts of wipers.

scott43

Skier
Years ago I put in SilBlade silicone wipers on a 95 Range Rover. Pretty flat and steep windshield, basic 18 inch arm/blade. At the time, I bought both summer and winter blade/arms. Except I never swapped out the winter ones. I had those things in for 5 years! Over 100k miles. Only near the end did they streak. Incredible. Before that I went through Bosch, - crap didn’t last, and all sorts of wipers.
I suspect silicone rubber's superio resistance to UV and ozone helped that. I buy rubber refills every year pretty much..I hate hate HATE poor wipers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That brings up this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/silblade-premium-wipers-a-first-on-car-look.568/

Sponsor

Staff online