• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flexion and extension patterns

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
With all of this in mind, what's the best development pathway for the skier who isn't yet at the expert level?

I haven't read all pages, and only perused the first.

My feeling is, the best path is to focus on standing right on top of the skis, in transition, with the skis flat to the snow, regardless of steepness. Steepness should be such that the learner can accomplish that with comfort while gliding across, horizontally or diagonally downwards to the hill, and FEELING the surface of the snow, however transitory. From there, the flex of the inside leg happens, whether it was an extension of inside to transition or a flex of outside leg to transition. Then, do that on steeper and steeper terrain. That's what i would do for someone who is not at an expert level. I wouldn't even bring up the topic of flex or extend to transition, except only in the context of bumps. Even then, I wouldn't phrase it that way. I would be talking about absorbing the bump. And, still, my focus with the learner is to find that spot in transition where all is in balance and one can do all that one wishes to do

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Check this out:

Until Sunday I thought of retraction-extension only in the lateral plane -- only for lateral extension to edge and then retracting underneath to flatten to extend to opposite edge -- for edge-to-edge transitions using centrifugal force to move the BoS lateral to the CoM.

Sunday I learned that retraction-extension can occur in the vertical plane -- for absorption (as Kneale Brownson says) of bumps and rotating/guiding/skidding/turning a flat ski under you -- keeping the BoS under the CoM.

"What a Country!"

Sponsor

Staff online