• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

flex 90 for u12 too stiff?

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am looking to replace boots for my kid in u12 (5ft and 125lbs)
Last year he was on fisher rc4 70 flex for two years so I am thinking to make it stiffer as he gained some weights during the pandemic...;;;;;
I would like to hear some opinions from racing parents.
Would 90 flex junior racing boots be too stiff or would it be just right flex for him?
He’s been skiing since 4 years old.

Also it would be appreciated it if someone can recommend reputable boot fitter in Lehigh valley or Pocono area in PA.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you get into tweener boots the consistancy in published flexes is very inconsistent. There are 70's that are stiffer than some 90's and 110's that are softer. this is before bringing the variables of shell sizes into the conversation. In the Valley, I believe you just have Buckmans as a shop now. @BC. @Wendy might be able to give you some options for shops further north by Camelback, JF/BB or Elk.

skifastflylow1

Booting up
Skier
I can’t help with a local boot fitter, but that sounds like my child at that age. 90 was just right. I would consult with a coach from the previous year for advise on flex and local shops/boot fitters.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you get into tweener boots the consistancy in published flexes is very inconsistent. There are 70's that are stiffer than some 90's and 110's that are softer. this is before bringing the variables of shell sizes into the conversation. In the Valley, I believe you just have Buckmans as a shop now. @BC. @Wendy might be able to give you some options for shops further north by Camelback, JF/BB or Elk.
Go see Scott Hopkins at the Guenthers shop on the way to Elk.......He outfits all the race kids in the area....and is a great guy and does excellent work.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a more complex question, you need to look at cuff length, leg length, ski ability etc. It is customary to get a short cuff for that age - even if you have to get an adult model depending on foot size. At that age, their bodies change a lot.

For U12 I think 5/125 sounds on the upper bound, so he could use a stiffer boot.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Responses to my prior queries indicated that 90 could be suitable for my lighter non racer but hard skier. This year 70 will be a bit soft for him though i try to stay on a progression track. Ask the coach and then the fitter will know if they are too stiff. Short cuff.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking to replace boots for my kid in u12 (5ft and 125lbs)
Last year he was on fisher rc4 70 flex for two years so I am thinking to make it stiffer as he gained some weights during the pandemic...;;;;;
I would like to hear some opinions from racing parents.
Would 90 flex junior racing boots be too stiff or would it be just right flex for him?
He’s been skiing since 4 years old.

Also it would be appreciated it if someone can recommend reputable boot fitter in Lehigh valley or Pocono area in PA.
Dieter at Alpina Ski Shop in White Haven works with a lot of kids in race programs. He is great at determining what your son will need, as well as what the other parents are doing.

Alpina is about a mile or so from the access road to Jack Frost on 940.
Scott Hopkins at Guenthers, as mentioned above, has an excellent reputation.

Sponsor

Staff online