• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flensburg

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
I am thinking of taking a trip to Flensburg this coming summer. Any Good-Pub recommendations? If I like the area I might move there permanently. Here are some snippets of information about Flensburg from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburg

Snippet 1

Flensburg was founded at the latest by 1200 at the innermost end of the Flensburg Firth by Danish settlers, who were soon joined by German merchants.

Snippet 2

Historians presume that there were several reasons for choosing this spot for settlement:

-- Shelter from heavy winds
-- Trade route between Holstein and North Jutland (namely the Hærvejen or Ochsenweg, a name for a series of roads between hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein and Jutland, possibly dating from the Bronze Age)
-- The Angelnway: Trade route between North Frisia and Angeln
-- A good herring fishery

Snippet 3

The Danish minority in Flensburg and the surrounding towns run their own schools, libraries and Lutheran churches from which the German majority is not excluded. The co-existence of these two groups is considered a sound and healthy symbiosis. There is a form of mixed Danish–German used on the ferries, Petuh*.

*Petuh (Petu) is a mixed language of Flensburg, a mixture of German, Low German, Danish, and Southern Jutish spoken in Flensburg on the German–Danish border. It is High German in vocabulary (with some Danish concepts and loan translations), but it has Danish and Low Saxon grammar and syntax. It originated in the 19th century and was still vibrant in the 1950s, but it is now on the verge of extinction.

Sponsor