• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fleece Arm Warmer Lovers Unite!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never.

My elbows gotta be free, Jerry!

With due apologies to Seinfeld.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Warm core, cold fingers. I'm going to try this this year. These look okay?

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Warm core, cold fingers. I'm going to try this this year. These look okay?

Yep. These are fantastic.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always.
Never go out on a ride in winter without a pair of these on.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I honestly expected MANY more women in this thread; doing short sleeves and arm warmers means no torso / arm length mismatch.

:huh::thumb::huh:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Never heard of them until this thread. What's the difference between using these and using a warmer baselayer top?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"torso / arm length mismatch" ?

I guess I completely don't get the advantages for skiing. I use arm warmers for late season cycling. But can't see any of my cycling usage have much parallel in skiing...

But maybe there're people who have other needs I don't have? Just wondering...

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"torso / arm length mismatch" ?

AKA THE most quoted problem in womens' or small-size unisex garment sizing. Buy garments that suit the chest/shoulders/torso length and get sleeve lengths (and inseam lengths) too long or short.

If this seems unfamiliar to you, you are quite fortunate.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, I'm on the small side. So yes, I often run into situation of clothing that has too long sleeves.

For outer garments, that is a problem. But for base/mid-layer, I simply roll up the sleeves, or let them bunch up a little.

The thing is, arm warmer doesn't really solve that problem. As they're never the right length to begin with. They weren't intended to be the right length for everyone. We just slide them up and down our arms to suit. So I end up with the arm warmer either bunching up at the wrist or overlap where it meets the jersey. That's not any different than having too long sleeves...

The only use of arm warmer (summer or winter) that I can understand is if your core is overheating but your arms are cold. I have that when I'm cross country skiing. And I do use arm warmers for cx skiing. I guess I think of xc skiing more like cycling than (downhill) skiing

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love vests because I like more layers on my core than on my arms.

No arm warmers for me thank you.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, so my takeaway is that you're completely with the spirit of this thread, just looking for more, shorter arm warmers. :)
Yes, I was with you at first. But when you put in the women and torso/arm length part, I got side tracked. I thought I may have completely misunderstood you. I guess not entirely.

On the sleeve length front, too short sleeves/arm warmers will leave one cold! That's obviously a big no-no.

So until one finds perfect length warmer, it's far better to have too long than too short.

I frankly don't notice the bunching up of sleeves. So I'm completely indifferent to the torso/sleeve length issue for my base/mid-layers. I don't bother with arm warmer except when I do want to keep my core cool. "the opposite of vest" as you put it. :)

Last edited:

Sponsor