• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flats vs Clip-in : 2019 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
there is no efficiency gains you are correct the gains come in the ability to vary torque at will, and pull the rear end of the bike around. Also unlessy ou move your heels out your bike will stay attached to you.

If you do think the margins are slim at best. IF they were more XC racers would be using flats, not to mention about 99 percent of enduro racers and maybe 70 percent of DH racers. So yeah tell those people they be faster on flats

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The problem with racers is they feel that everyone wants and needs to compete.

Fortunately, that is their problem. Not mine.

After 30 years of clipless and 20 years of clips before that, I put on a pair of $12 flats, (with little pins to scrape my shins.)

I like them, I can step off when the hill is too much. I've got nothing to prove. Life has been good. I hope to continue.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Humm, I think im gonna put flats on my MTB. I have been using clipless on all my bikes since... 2006? (Road, Cross and MTB) Been there done that.

Il post how it goes. Just moved to a new apt so will make the change next week.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The problem with racers is they feel that everyone wants and needs to compete.

Fortunately, that is their problem. Not mine.

After 30 years of clipless and 20 years of clips before that, I put on a pair of $12 flats, (with little pins to scrape my shins.)

I like them, I can step off when the hill is too much. I've got nothing to prove. Life has been good. I hope to continue.

My point in posting up about the racers is just saying there is no objective reason to not ride clips for the trail riding roller do .

Also how could you not step offf with clipless ? This is what I don’t get even on hill where I need to get off it never like oh I clipped in I am going to just fall over now.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Humm, I think im gonna put flats on my MTB. I have been using clipless on all my bikes since... 2006? (Road, Cross and MTB) Been there done that.

Il post how it goes. Just moved to a new apt so will make the change next week.
Just give it a few rides, and know that not all flat pedals are created equal when it comes to grip. Also, pedal size and shape play into things in relation to your shoe size and also personal preference.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Been a long time since I've seen Josh in full-on Matta Mode like this. Hi Josh! :wave:

We should all just go for a ride together and all this contention would disappear pretty quickly. Poll still open on the NE MTB weekend, BTW. Vermont has excellent beer. Just saying.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think part of this divide is east and west....

The majority of my rides I would do in utah never had more than a tech move or 2 while climbing. Where as anywhere I ride east seems to have a couple step like moves per ride.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Laurie Greenland just took 3rd in the Les Gets WC DH. On flat pedals.

I guess you could say he isn't the fastest IN THE WORLD today, just third. I'd say that's better than any of us can ever dream of.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
and Sam Hill used to win all the time on flats in DH, but even DH the type of racing where pedaling is least important the flat riders are outliners not the norm.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could go back to clipless if I wanted to and probably not miss a beat but the flats are working fine, in fact very good for me. I am not sure what the extra efficiency would really do for me for as much as I ride and where I ride. Thats a rhetorical question, I don't need/want it answered. ;) For recreational rides ie non racers, clipless can require a bit more attention to use, especially in technical terrain...in in this case is could actually be less efficient due to the mental hit every one is different.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I switched to flats when I had foot surgery and couldn't fit into my cleated mtb shoes. i like the flats fine, except for pedal strikes (there are plenty of rocky trails in Tahoe and other places I ride). And sometimes my foot ends up in the wrong place on the pedal, and it's hard to adjust on the fly. But, I still have some foot issues, so I will only go back to clipless if I can find a shoe/pedal combo that gives my bad foot enough support to be stable on that side.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I would think a carbon soles Clipless shoe with a slight platform like a XT trail would be more supportive than any flat out there....

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone saying clipless pedals with proper bike boots are not more efficient then flats with shoes that are cool for walking around all day long, have obviously A. never pedal or B. doesn't know a thing about efficiency. But either way, I would suggest you to use some proper shoes with carbon soles, clipped in and you will see that there's simply no way that any flat pedals with those cool looking soft shoes would come anywhere near efficiency of carbon sole clipped into pedals.
Just as in skiing, also in cycling racers actually use stuff because it's fast and efficient and much less because it looks cool and current fashion says it's best thing after white bread. There were few such things before in mtb, from Cannondale riders using baggies, to DH riders complaining that lycra doesn't look cool and UCI should make rule preventing lycra in DH. Which they did, but several years later, with rule still in place, all DH guys are running super tight, non-lycra suits even if they don't look so cool, and Cannondale dropped their baggies, after it was clear that looking cool doesn't make you fast (even with mtb, wind resistance is pretty much main factor).
But no matter what, I would dare to bet, there was not a single racer on XC world cup, that would show on start in Five Ten and flats. Could be because they are traditionalist who have no idea what's good, but more possible is, because they know flats are nowhere near as fast and efficient as clipless.
Another thing for this so important different stance on bike, distributing weight once like this other time like that. Really? Seriously? I admit I'm more xc guy, but I have no issues riding down steep stuff full of rocks and roots with my xc bike, seat 10cm above handlebar and clipped in. Sure, I'm slower then guys on DH bikes, but still faster then most of friends with similar way of thinking as big part of posters here, who actually walk down in their comfortable shoes, as it's too hard, to steep and too rocky to ride down. On other side, I would dare to bet, most of all these people would have serious issues getting down some sections of xc WC race, where guys and girls in lycra clipped in speed down, sometimes even on hardtails, most of them without droper posts, and all of them on bikes with geometry so different to what most of you ride, that you would consider those bikes unridable on anything but flat gravel ;)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Laurie Greenland just took 3rd in the Les Gets WC DH. On flat pedals.

I guess you could say he isn't the fastest IN THE WORLD today, just third. I'd say that's better than any of us can ever dream of.

Thanks for the spoiler! Watching now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online