Flats vs Clip-in : 2019 version

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Josh Matta, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

the trick to swtich back is to ride them with the front tires as far to the outside as possible. Also switching to clipless will give you more usable torque that wont cause the wheel to spin.

Edit: Added quote referenced in the comment.
    These posts were pulled from the Mountain Bike Stoke 2019 thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  2. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

I do great with them overall, but these are littered with shark tooth rocks, etc. and pancake flour powder and they are TIGHT. Oh, and ruts next to the rocks, so just a lot of stuff for the BRAIN to process when rounding a corner. I wish I could ride them again, but I can't. And I won't go clipless and have have never felt my flats were a detriment. I'm a strong climber--@4ster knows this :rolleyes:

Mod Edit out Mountain bike stoke

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

Your feeling that flats aren’t a hinderance are not reality. They are just feelings. I promise to pro/expert classes will be won flats if flats were easier or faster they would use them. Clipless is just a skill that is nessary to climb something’s.

Primoz likes this.
  4. AmyPJ

Probably so, especially for cross country riding. But I still won't switch back. I crashed regularly when clipped in, which killed my confidence to even ATTEMPT a lot of stuff, so I stick with flats and manage to have fun anyway. :D

coskigirl likes this.
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

You were on crank bros right?

6. AmyPJ

SPD for longer, I tried Crank Bros for a minute then went back to SPD.

Edit out mountain bike stoke.

7. Rod9301

Rod9301 Out on the slopes Skier

I switched to flats a couple of years ago, and for technical terrain they are great.

Can't tell the difference in uphill times at all.

8. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

We've had threads about flats vs clipless. It's red vs grey all over again.

Philpug likes this.
  9. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

Comparing experts/pros/advanced to recreational/novice/beginner/intermediate riders and the benefits/detriments each type of rider will see out of each type of set up isn't valid. It's like saying a beginner skier should be on a race ski because that's what racers uses and see benefit from. Sure, at some point if a person becomes experienced enough they will see a greater benefit out of clipless pedals. I've tried both and it is a fact for me as a rider.

I guarantee you that for me, at my level of riding and fitness, I see far more slow down and/or avoidance of terrain from nervousness being clipped in than I would ever see benefit from being able to pull up on the pedal on a climb.

Unpiste, AmyPJ and Monique like this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

Its that if you want certain things to be easier you learn a pretty easy to learn skill of clipping in.

Whether you think you will be slower or think you will not be you are 100 percent correct either way.

Erik is right though............unless you have hole shoot the whole congo line will be walking stuff like that. That is unless you learn to trackstand than yell rider up.

11. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

I've tried both. In fact, I started mountain biking with clipless. I know how to clip and unclip. It's the only thing I use on my road bike. I became so frustrated with my progress that I thought I'd give flats a try and it was an immediate improvement. It is absolutely a FACT for ME that I am slower, more timid, and less willing to try technical terrain when I'm clipped in. The miniscule gains I might see from being clipped in are absolutely counter-balanced by that timidity. Is it possible that some day I'll have enough skill and confidence that I'll see a benefit from clipless? Absolutely. Is that right now? No way.

Unpiste, Ken_R, Philpug and 1 other person like this.
  12. Monique

Yeah, I started clipless, switched to flats, switched to clipless with platforms, and then eventually switched back to flats, all over the course of maybe a decade. I'm already a tortoise on the uphills, and my pedal technique is pretty good. More to the point, though, I LIKE riding flats. I feel more confident. I have more fun. I am tired of investing time in non-fun pursuits like improving my pedaling efficiency. Even if I took it at face value that I'd be faster if I just learned how to properly ride clipless, I'd rather take longer to get up that hill, and then love the hell out of my ride down. It's fine. I also think that my colorful flats with their big traction pins just look more baller than those silly roadie-esque clipless contraptions. And I've never had to lube my flats or had trouble getting my foot on a flat pedal when the trail is muddy.

CalG and AmyPJ like this.
  13. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

I wouldnt love going DH on flats.......

If someone wants to donate 200 dollars top get some five tens and flats I can do a comparo...........

Lol looking baller? who cares? it like I love the DH less because I am clipped in.... Honestly I love it more.

also in the mud I rather have my foot clipped to my pedal. than sliding around on a pedal.

14. AmyPJ

So, you haven't tried them?

Unpiste and coskigirl like this.
  15. Monique

I'm super happy for you to ride clipless. I think @coskigirl , @AmyPJ , and I are super happy to ride flats. I don't know why you feel the need to keep dogging our choices. Let it go. I thought the whole point of being libertarian was to let people do what they want to do when it isn't hurting anyone.

Mike Thomas and coskigirl like this.
  16. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

on anything other than a Dirt jumper, no....

but objectively what would I be gaining? Any section that is to technical for me right now will not be easier on flats. I can get my feet to the ground faster on clipless than with flats with less chance of getting stuck on the pins.

beside losing 200 dollars to try something that again is not objectively better.

I only start dogging the choice because someone was struggling to make a technical steep climb, basically be happy on your flats but dont post how you can t climb something. its like saying I cant ski powder on my SL skis. Simple solution....

[moderator edit out political comment]

Again I only posted originally because someone was struggling to climb a technical up hill...for a race.

17. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Same here.
    Flats may not improve my performance, but they improve my confidence, which in turn....improves my performance.

Besides, I'm not a pro and have nothing to prove other than my own enjoyment of riding and activity level.

Then why are you pushing it toward riders who are clearing enjoying recreational riding and not prepping for a race?

We(I) get it that clips are more efficient. Don't care because I'm enjoying my flats. Let it go.

coskigirl and Philpug like this.
  18. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

umm Amy is prepping for a race.....

I wasnt going to post again after #243 because I really dont care what people want to ride. but it pointless to proclaim how comfortable you when it takes longer to get your feet to the ground with flats....

19. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Josh, at no point did Amy say she was struggling to climb a technical up hill. In fact she was pretty excited about how well she did on the pre-ride.

Isn't this supposed to be a Mt Bike Stoke thread.
    Lets get back to the stoke part.

20. Thread Starter
    TS
    Josh Matta

did you read the same thing? you ljust quoted her talking about those climbing switchbacks then face palm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.