• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Call me a convert. I rode SPD's since the 90's and saw no reason to change..until I tried good flat/platform pedals. I remember the day I went clipless, it was on my first mountain bike, my Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS back in 94 or so. It was a muddy day of riding the the Black Rocks secton of Broomall Pa. I came back browner than a loaf of Pumpernickle but I was hooked. From then until now I never had any issues with clipless or feel the need to change. I would set the pedals with a good amount of float and I could get in and out with easy and still had all the up/down pedal stroke I ever needed.

Tricia swiched over to the flats a few years back and while I never said anything but I always looked at them as a compromise, no was was I willing to give up being able to pull up on my peddles with those things. Also, how will I ever "bunny hop" over logs and boulders? Not that I ever did, but if I wanted to? Getting back into the game I have been out trying lots of bikes and what do all the demo bikes have? Right, flat pedals. Sure, any shop would swap pedals over for a test ride but after a ride or two with these new fangled pedals, I really wasn't missing my clipless at all. Even when I took the Moterra up Peavine (yes I was pedaling), I would sure have thought the nasty climb would make me long for my SPD's but no. I just went up and up and my feet never came off the pedal.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question on weight:
I understand how a low profile may be better for getting over rocks, bridges and logs, but how much should I be concerned with weight for average mountain biking. My gut says I shouldn't be concerned at all for the kind of riding I'm doing.
I am paying attention to the amount and placement of pins, as well as the profile.

Example:
The Answer Pedals I currently have are 467g/pair
Raceface Chester = 340g
Diety Compound V2 = 339g most other Diety pedals were in the 400g range
Stamp 11 = 299g Their high price point pedal
Stamp 3 = 399g
Hope F20 = 390g
DMR Vault = 420g

You're on the right track--pins and profile and SHAPE of the pedal, especially important for those of us with smaller feet. You want a pedal that isn't as squared off, but has more tapered corners. I have the One Ups (new to me this season) in the composite and like them quite a lot more than my Deitys that I had been running for 3 years. I prefer composite because it doesn't sound as awful when you have a pedal strike. I rode with aluminum ones briefly last year which is how I figured that out. Pretty funny!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Deity even though one is leaking some grease after banging a rock hard. I bet they'd replace it for a good price if I asked them to.

If you call to order direct they might give you a 10% off code.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You're on the right track--pins and profile and SHAPE of the pedal, especially important for those of us with smaller feet. You want a pedal that isn't as squared off, but has more tapered corners. I have the One Ups (new to me this season) in the composite and like them quite a lot more than my Deitys that I had been running for 3 years. I prefer composite because it doesn't sound as awful when you have a pedal strike. I rode with aluminum ones briefly last year which is how I figured that out. Pretty funny!
I had more than one pedal strike yesterday on a demo bike with demo pedals. The demo pedals are just that, inexpensive basic flat pedals to throw on demo bikes, so they're fairly big.
When approaching some significant rocks on the uphill, I had to pedal when I knew I didn't want to but....it worked. That is one of the things that made me think more about profile. There is a bit of the pedal sticking out the side of my shoe.
I like the variety of small pedals that Crankbrothers offers in the Stamp Line. I'll take a look at One Ups.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
x2. The nylon composites out now are really durable and don't make such horrid noises. It's why I'm on Chesters.

+1 on Chesters. Grateful the bike shop recommended these.And they still have short grippy pegs that keep your foot on.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Also, how will I ever "bunny hop" over logs and boulders? Not that I ever did, but if I wanted to?

People were doing that long before clipless pedals existed. Like everything else, it's a technique that can be learned, and they teach it in clinics. (Caveat: I am not great at any of those moves, but it has nothing to do with the pedals!)

Deity even though one is leaking some grease after banging a rock hard. I bet they'd replace it for a good price if I asked them to.

If you call to order direct they might give you a 10% off code.

Deity customer support people are friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely worth a call about the damage.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
People were doing that long before clipless pedals existed. Like everything else, it's a technique that can be learned, and they teach it in clinics. (Caveat: I am not great at any of those moves, but it has nothing to do with the pedals!)

@Philpug : English bunny hop vs American bunny hop. Both have their uses. Most people who ride clipless only learn English version. People who ride flats are forced to learn the American hop which is a very useful skill as it teaches preload, timing, body movement etc.

One reason I spend time riding flats is to work on skills like bunny hops, manuals, wheelies, airs, etc. Still ride clipless from time to time too.

Most the riders in this video are on flats:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Deity customer support people are friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely worth a call about the damage.

@Philpug : English bunny hop vs American bunny hop. Both have their uses. Most people who ride clipless only learn English version. People who ride flats are forced to learn the American hop which is a very useful skill as it teaches preload, timing, body movement etc.

One reason I spend time riding flats is to work on skills like bunny hops, manuals, wheelies, airs, etc. Still ride clipless from time to time too.

Most the riders in this video are on flats:
Sorry, I forgot the tongue in cheek here, It was not that I every really cared about bunny hopping but I always thought I wanted the option of it. Of my top three priorities with the pedals, bunny hopping in about fifth on that list. ;)
Also, how will I ever "bunny hop" over logs and boulders? Not that I ever did, but if I wanted to?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a kid I taught myself to bunny hop at the local baseball field where the parking is separated by telephone poles laying on the ground. Smashing your wheel into a telephone pole will quickly teach you to get air.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sorry, I forgot the tongue in cheek here, It was not that I every really cared about bunny hopping but I always thought I wanted the option of it. Of my top three priorities with the pedals, bunny hopping in about fifth on that list. ;)

I totally got that :) But for posterity - anyone reading this thread - it's good to make sure people know this. There are a lot of people who do think that they need clipless pedals to lift their wheels. It just ain't so! If I can do it (still working on timing and 100% success rate), with the minimal time I've spent mucking with it, anyone can do it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I totally got that :) But for posterity - anyone reading this thread - it's good to make sure people know this. There are a lot of people who do think that they need clipless pedals to lift their wheels. It just ain't so! If I can do it (still working on timing and 100% success rate), with the minimal time I've spent mucking with it, anyone can do it.
Sorry, you are absolutely right. I didn't listen to my own rule "When answering a question in a thread, you are not answering the person asking the question but the hundreds/thousands of people reading the thread that might have the same question but are afraid to ask." My bad.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't forget about Chromag! The Chromag Scarabs nail down the quality to beauty ratio.
We got some Chromags in at the shop yesterday. Wow those are shiny!
These were not on my radar but now...

This pedal intrigues me for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the high ratings they've gotten on various reviews.
This one from MTBR is crazy good

Before I actually get pedals, I guess I should get a bike ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We got some Chromags in at the shop yesterday. Wow those are shiny!
These were not on my radar but now...

This pedal intrigues me for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the high ratings they've gotten on various reviews.
This one from MTBR is crazy good

Before I actually get pedals, I guess I should get a bike ;)

Those are the exact pedals I have. Got the smalls on sale from Backcountry. Lucky me, I get to go to the retail store and play touchy feely with all the goods. I had them pull those and 3 others, and I liked the shape and weight and size of those the best. I've been REALLY happy with them.

As for bikes, don't overlook Trek. Mine is crazy fast, both up and down. To say it's the Swiss Army Knife of bikes (someone here said that) is not an exaggeration. Look at the EX 8, EX 9.7 (lower price carbon) or EX 9.8, which is what I have. 29er. If you are out this way soon, you can take mine out.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those are the exact pedals I have. Got the smalls on sale from Backcountry. Lucky me, I get to go to the retail store and play touchy feely with all the goods. I had them pull those and 3 others, and I liked the shape and weight and size of those the best. I've been REALLY happy with them.

As for bikes, don't overlook Trek. Mine is crazy fast, both up and down. To say it's the Swiss Army Knife of bikes (someone here said that) is not an exaggeration. Look at the EX 8, EX 9.7 (lower price carbon) or EX 9.8, which is what I have. 29er. If you are out this way soon, you can take mine out.
My last bike was a Trek Fuel EX8 WSD. Size 16.5. Thats the bike I'm riding in my avatar.
I would definitely consider Trek if I can find a place that will demo.
Part of the reason I have been riding Pivot and Cannondale is because the shop I work at carries those brands and its easy for me to take one out.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were many times I bought a suit to match a tie.
Now I have to decide which Tie I want go get so I can find the "suit" to match?
This or That?
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.35.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.35.31 PM.png

Sponsor