• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not a debate about clipless vs Flat pedals, its a quest to get good (edit to change platform to flat, per epic)Flat pedals for a new bike.

I bought FiveTen shoes a few years ago and put Answer platform pedals on my bike.
pedals-rove-fr-pair-white.jpg

I have been happy with these pedals, but I think my bike is sold and the person buying it wants to keep the pedals.
This means that I will need to buy new pedals when I get a new bike.
This review is enlightening, talking about things that I may not have thought about, but I'd like to get some input from my trusted Pugski people.
FWIW, I drooled over a set of pedals that @epic recommended a few years ago, but I didn't end up getting them because I couldn't find them locally and needed something quick.
I don't recall what they were.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I sympathize with your pain, I am looking to go clipless, but still want the platform style pedal for casual riding with the wife.

Best of both worlds idea.

Interested in the replies you get.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Specialized Bennies. When I purchased them last year it was because I was having difficulty getting through terrain because I was nervous and would unclip from my clipless pedals so I wanted relatively cheap but metal because of rock strikes. I thought I was just going to use flats until I got more confident. Since going to the flat I've realized that in mountain biking I just don't lose enough power to worry about it so I'm staying flat for the foreseeable future. That being said, they've been just fine for me and I'm not sure I see the point in upgrading until I break these.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bennies-platform-pedals/p/131127?color=219419-131127

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If inexpensive is a concern, Raceface Chesters (~$40) are a very good pedal. Lightweight, durable, relatively slim profile, good grip.

Bonus: they come in a bunch of rad colors.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
First of all, as a future bike tester - stop calling them platform pedals, they are "flats". I picture a platform as a plastic beach cruiser thing or a pedal that should have toe clips, but doesn't.

The ones we run in my house are Hopes. They are super high quality and will last longer than your bike will. http://www.hopetech.com/product/flat-pedal/

In general, you want a thinner pedal. There are a lot of other nice choices out there, a lot of people around here run Raceface or Deity pedals.

https://www.deitycomponents.com/pedals.html

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First of all, as a future bike tester - stop calling them platform pedals, they are "flats". I picture a platform as a plastic beach cruiser thing or a pedal that should have toe clips, but doesn't.

The ones we run in my house are Hopes. They are super high quality and will last longer than your bike will. http://www.hopetech.com/product/flat-pedal/

In general, you want a thinner pedal. There are a lot of other nice choices out there, a lot of people around here run Raceface or Deity pedals.

https://www.deitycomponents.com/pedals.html
Thank you for correcting me. I'm trying to be cool, I've edited the title and my OP to reflect Flats.

The Hope pedals are the ones I remember from a few years ago when we talked.
I've been leaning toward Raceface, but hadn't seen Deity.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the process of doing searches, I see Platform used a lot. This makes me wonder why you are so adamant about the use of the term Flat. Is it because of the terminology that people in your circle use?
This from Jenson
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 2.22.24 PM.png

And from Marc Sheehan's link on FB, Crank Brothers
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 2.27.34 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question on weight:
I understand how a low profile may be better for getting over rocks, bridges and logs, but how much should I be concerned with weight for average mountain biking. My gut says I shouldn't be concerned at all for the kind of riding I'm doing.
I am paying attention to the amount and placement of pins, as well as the profile.

Example:
The Answer Pedals I currently have are 467g/pair
Raceface Chester = 340g
Diety Compound V2 = 339g most other Diety pedals were in the 400g range
Stamp 11 = 299g Their high price point pedal
Stamp 3 = 399g
Hope F20 = 390g
DMR Vault = 420g

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
YMMV, but I've see them referred to "flats" mostly in the mtb crowd, and "platforms" mostly in a more general terminology. I think "platforms" have a certain negative connotation for bike snobs who see them as the purview of recreational riders, slow commuters, and Grant Petersen-esque hipsters. "Flats" are just what all the cool enduro-bros and downhill "pros" wear.

They're all the same idea of a pedal. It's just that modern mtb "flats" are way better for mtbing than the less rip-your-shins up "platforms" you see on a cruisery bike.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a couple rides on my new Raceface Chesters and really like them. I have had the opportunity to demo a bike with Hope F20 pedals and they were very nice but certainly not worth 3 times the price IMO.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
One thing I find amusing about flats is that lipless pedals which are far more complex cost considerably less when comparing like quality. Strange. Even across the same brand flats tend to cost more.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One thing I find amusing about flats is that lipless pedals which are far more complex cost considerably less when comparing like quality. Strange. Even across the same brand flats tend to cost more.
I found it interesting that some of the higher price point pedals are considerably less weight, but some are not.
I think weight likely matters for a very small fringe of riders.

Example:
The Answer Pedals I currently have are 467g/pair
Raceface Chester = 340g
Diety Compound V2 = 339g most other Diety pedals were in the 400g range
Stamp 11 = 299g Their high price point pedal
Stamp 3 = 399g
Hope F20 = 390g
DMR Vault = 420g

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When we go to Moab, my wife switches to flats on the Slickrock Trail.

Her favorites are $10 plastic "test ride" pedals which I believe come with new Specialized bikes.

They have plenty of grip -- absent mud -- are light, and do not murder your body parts if you bump them in a crash, loading your bike, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online