• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are flat and low light the same thing but just different terms? I consider low light to be along the lines of night skiing whereas flat light is when you get those cloudy days.

On the same line, do color blind or color deficient people (me) see flat light differently than full spectrum folks? Consensus seems to be a yellow or rose tint lens for flat light but if someone is missing part of the spectrum would they be better off with a different color?

All things being equal, how well can one expect to see in flat light? Even with the super duper color chroma changomatic lens can you see well in flat light?

James

Out There
Instructor
You can’t see what’s not there.
Flat means no contrast. Night has shadow from lights, absent fog etc.

People like different tints. Perhaps an optometrist has a test to figure it out without dart throwing.
When it cones down to it, there's not that many choices. Yellow, rose, orange, pink, etc. i hated the old Smith Red Sensor because it allowed too much blue for me and made me sick.
Once upon a time, they published spectrum transmission curves for lenses. Proprietary filtering like Prizm and Chromapop, useless industry reviews, and treating the public as disinterested, have gotten rid of them. We had many posted on epic.
All things being equal, how well can one expect to see in flat light? Even with the super duper color chroma changomatic lens can you see well in flat light?
Lol. Nothing is equal. And, not well.
Some can get buy without seeing. You be amazed how many Europeans ski pretty fast in flat near whiteouts. It is a skill partly of mind control.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Being shaded colorblind does help a little in flat light conditions. Blue or Red colored lens work the best for me. But I also use certain tactics while skiing in these challenging situations. There is a point where it's just time to call it and ski another day.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a point where it's just time to call it and ski another day.
This is my modus operandi at my home mountain. When it's more work than fun I go home, which is about 30 minutes. If I'm travelling I want to be able to at least see somewhat better so I don't waste a long drive. One of @Tricia's sage sayings is "if you don't see it, you'll feel it". While that may be true it's not something I strive for!
:philgoat:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I consider low light to be along the lines of night skiing whereas flat light is when you get those cloudy days.

Sort of, but if you were ONLY skiing by headlamp you would still get flat light because you wouldn't see the shadows - they would be pointing away from you. And that is true even of an infinitely bright headlamp.

Asking for consensus is a mistake here - it will steer you towards what works for mainstream-sighted people. Go take a test.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We always talk about the difficulties with getting correctly fitted boots and how it can be a frustrating process. For me, finding a google that works that provides an adequate field of vision provides vision clarity in poor light situations and at night has been much more frustrating for me. After buying several pairs of expensive googles, I finally gave up, bought cheap goggles and moved on. It’s not a major difference vision wise, I’m much less frustrated and I have more money to spend on other skiing needs.

Sponsor

Staff online